News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Vintage Air and sub frame connectors

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 20, 2012, 10:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Do you think that putting vintage air and weld in sub frame connectors in a numbers matching 500 or RT Charger decreases the value ??  Thoughts...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

RTDaddy

HB,
I don't think th evintage air would hurt.  A buddy looked into puttingone on his E-body, and they had an E body kit that only required drilling one hole (about 5/8" I think)in the firewall.  Sub-frame connectors might be a different animal.  Have you looked at maybe bolt-in connectors?  I'd hate to do something I could not reverse later.  By the way, how's the K & K NASCAR clone coming?  (NOW you remember me).   :icon_smile_big:

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."
"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."

Indygenerallee

Don't put in bolt in connectors, they will waller the holes out, I bought the ones that are contoured to the floor pan and will look factory once welded in, IMO welded subframe connectors are a needed upgrade on any Mopar musclecar even if it is a original 500, but then again I am not in the category of making sure the PCV hose has the correct date code or its "not right" Add the A/C also! It's your car!!!  :2thumbs: :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 20, 2012, 11:01:46 AM
Don't put in bolt in connectors, they will waller the holes out, I bought the ones that are contoured to the floor pan and will look factory once welded in, IMO welded subframe connectors are a needed upgrade on any Mopar musclecar even if it is a original 500, but then again I am not in the category of making sure the PCV hose has the correct date code or its "not right" Add the A/C also! It's your car!!!  :2thumbs: :Twocents:

I am where you are when it comes to trivial stuff  as it just isn't in me  to count beans and flat black percentages. I am going to get a set of US Car Tool connecters for both of my sleds and yes these cars should have had them from the factory to begin with.

By the way, how's the K & K NASCAR clone coming?  (NOW you remember me).   OF course I remember you Barry and I haven't forgotten about copies of the structural diagrams you got for me way back when.  Yep the 500 clone is underway, 440 powered as a Hemi is out of the question price wise. Most of the rust is repaired,Quarters  and outer wheelhouses are cut,deck lid is cut and the Vega hatch is screwed in place.  I have got to finish Sons Challenger  along the way also.

92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

kab69440

Assuming I was in the market, I would buy the car with the weld ins already installed. I would guess that most of the anal numbers crunchers would see it as a severe detriment, though.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

bill440rt

If I was in the market for a '69 500, I would want one that is the least messed around with. That's just my preference, though.

My perspective is that an aftermarket A/C system and frame connectors would have more detrimental impact on collector value on a "numbers" car than a "non-numbers" car, if that makes sense.

But... it's your car and if that is not a concern to you like others have said go for it.  :2thumbs:
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Mike DC

IMHO factory-style torque boxing would be preferable over subframe connectors for a restoration-type car. 

The factory boxed-up lots of Hemis and 4spd cars, and they were kind of inconsistent about doing it.  There doesn't seem to be a hard & fast rule about which cars have it or not.  It was most common on Hemi 4spd cars, less common on 440 autos, and didn't happen on 383s or smaller.  

Patronus

On a 70 500 prob not. On a 69 500, numbers correct.. if the rest of it was og ... :scratchchin:
To undo either is really just grinding welds, Id do it!
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

vancamp

to the numbers paint mark crowd I would say dont do it, if its a car you never plan on selling i would say go ahead your car your choice

kab69440

The fact that you went through so much trouble to make the car look like a street stocker almost necessitates sub connectors. I still think your ride has the most ideal "look" and stance for a second gen. I aspire to do it half as well as you did! :2thumbs: Your ride ROCKS!
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

charge69

My Charger is an original Hemicar and when we restored the body and underbody I had my restorer friend frabricate subframe connectors for it. They are made out of heavy wall (Very Heavy Wall) pipe that was torch-cut on the ends with a bevel to make them lay flat against the ends of the subframes and welded in. They can be easily removed if I want to remove them using a grinder and a little paint but should be very rigid as installed. If removed with a proper grinder, you would never know they had been installed.We put them on the car before we painted it and painted them with the undercarriage and it is so unobtrusive, it looks stock ! My car, unlike what most cars I have seen, DID have the underbody fully painted from the factory. Must have had to use up as much of the R6 as they could that day!

He (my restorer friend) has used these on two previous restoration he has done and they really work !  They are on his 12 second Challenger and his low 11 second '69 Roadrunner and, if you did not know it, you would probably never notice them. Both cars have seen plenty of dragstrip time to confirm that they work and his times. That RR he has is a beast and will do 11.0's at 122 mph thru the mufflers!
My Charger will probably never see more than a little street-time but it will, most likely, ride very nice with them installed.

Highbanked Hauler

Depending on my ambition level  I'll weld in a set of US Car Tool connecters. I have driven the car almost 18K since I rebuilt it and wrecked it once so a virgin it ain't :smilielol: :smilielol:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser