News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

extreamly frustrated.... car wont restart when warm

Started by Khyron, May 17, 2012, 04:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khyron

all good thoughts, I have swapped the starter 3 times to eliminate that possibility, and the battery is in the trunk. I sitll have to get the voltage regulator and have the battery tested, will attempt to get that done tomorrow.

Before reading my posts please understand me by clicking
HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

firefighter3931

Trunk mounted batteries can cause problems if the installation is not properly set up.

-where is the negative wire grounded to ?
-what wire guage are you using ?

It could be as simple as a poor ground or too much resistance due to improperly specced wiring. The problem intensifies with the increased demands of hot restarts.  :P

I see that your total timing is 32-36* but what is the initial timing ?

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

resq302

well, if the battery is in the trunk that should eliminate any of the cell warping due to the heat build up of the engine.  However, like Ron said, you have to have a heavy enough battery cable to keep enough voltage to reach the engine for the positive cable.  The longer distance the wire is, the greater the resistance it has.  I would also double check the ground cable at the battery and make sure it has a nice clean connection.  Again, with the neg. cable, you want that to be as short as possible too.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Khyron

it's grounded to the frame through a hole in the trunk with a gromet, also it's 2 gauge all the way to the front, It was a battery relocation kit from summit, Im going to go to get new cable today or tomorrow, 1 gauge baby :-)

Ground is maybe 2 foot long.

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Khyron on May 19, 2012, 04:08:30 PM
it's grounded to the frame through a hole in the trunk with a gromet, also it's 2 gauge all the way to the front, It was a battery relocation kit from summit, Im going to go to get new cable today or tomorrow, 1 gauge baby :-)

So to clarify...  it cranks very slow when the engine is hot?    If so it sounds like a bad ground...  old poontiacs had that problem.   Gotta clean all the connection spots and use star lock washers when possible cause they bite in.

How about the ground from frame to the engine block?    Usually there's only a little ground wire from the firewall to the back of the passenger side head / intake manifold because the main ground is from the battery to the driver side head / intake.    With the trunk kit,   that little ground is trying to feed enough juice to run a starter motor unless you upgraded.

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

firefighter3931

Quote from: Khyron on May 19, 2012, 04:08:30 PM

The 2 guage positive wire isn't going to cut it. You need 1 guage or 0 guage  :yesnod:

You can use the 2 Guage positive wire as a secondary ground. I'd run that wire from the same frame mounting point that your current ground is mounted to all the way up to the engine block...a secondary ground directly attached to the battery will help.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Khyron

HERE, HERE, AND HERE.

c00nhunterjoe

I believe I used 0000 wire when I put my battery in the trunk. My ground goes from the battery to the wheel house using the existing hole that is in it.  I also added a......hmmmm, I think it was 00 wire as a ground from the engine block to the frame. I have no cranking issues cold or hot. I run a stock starter with heddman headers that actually touch the starter.