News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seat cover installation tips

Started by 66FBCharger, May 17, 2012, 10:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

I am planning on putting my new Legendary seat covers (and foam etc.) on my front buckets and rear seat of my '69 R/T soon.
Does anyone have any tips to make it easier, have it come out the best it can, things to look out for, etc.?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

twodko

Lay the new stuff out in the sun to warm up and easier to handle. Take your time and don't hig ring anything until th fit is right. Good luck and, of course, before/after pix are required to maintain your Mopar decoder ring.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

68 RT

Have good hog rings and good hog ring pliers not cheapies. Start the hog rings in teh middle of the seat and work your way around alternating from side to side. On some new seat foam you might want to spray some silicone spray on them so the cover slide over them easy.  Not alot just a mist. After you are done you may have some small wrinkles, let car sit out in the sun a few hours with the windows up. That should take care of them. Good luck!  :cheers:

66FBCharger

Great tips guys!
I have good hog ring pliers I bought 20+ years ago when i worked at a Dodge dealer. I think they came from Snap on, Matco or Mac.
The hog rings I bought from Legendary. I would guess the hog rings are not cheap junk.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto

Ditch the legendary seat buttons and grab some originals to save yourself the headache of having to replace them all the time. They are notorious for coming apart.

Dino

Quote from: 440 on May 17, 2012, 11:18:47 AM
Ditch the legendary seat buttons and grab some originals to save yourself the headache of having to replace them all the time. They are notorious for coming apart.

Can the buttons from Legendary be beefed up?  I have never seen them but since my originals are gone I won't have any choice.

Do the seat covers come with hog rings?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I thought about drilling 2 tiny holes in the bottom of the button and injecting epoxy into them.

There is a thread here somewhere about beefing them up. I'll have to search for it.

66FBCharger

Quote from: Dino on May 17, 2012, 11:24:52 AM

Can the buttons from Legendary be beefed up?  I have never seen them but since my originals are gone I won't have any choice.

The seat covers do not come with hog rings. They are available from Legendary separately.

twodko

I've seen resto programs where they not only leave the new out in the sun to soften up but they also use some of those "waste basket" type plastic bags to cover new foam. Makes getting the new covers on much easier. :Twocents:

71green go

Get some good silicone spray and spray the foam and inside of seat covers...will make it Much easier to pull cover over foam.

GreenMachine

I put my covers in the dryer on high for about a minute. Worked good for me.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Dino

Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 17, 2012, 11:41:20 AM

Quote from: Dino on May 17, 2012, 11:24:52 AM

The seat covers do not come with hog rings. They are available from Legendary separately.

Thanks!  I would've forgotten about those.

Standard Hog Ring Plier Kit
TAHOG................................................................................... $ 7.00/ea.
* Kit contains pliers and enough hog rings for a front or rear installation only.
Deluxe Hog Ring Plier Kit
TAHOGHVY........................................................................... $25.00/ea.
* Kit contains heavy duty pliers and enough hog rings for a complete front and rear installation.
Hog Rings (Pkg/200)
TAHOGRING200.................................................................... $ 3.00/pk.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rick@laysons

Make a quick sketch of exactly where all the hog rings are located(or snap a pic). Get a pic of the area around the seat hinge too. Unless you've done this sort of thing before, you'll be glad you did.

When you remove your old covers, you'll notice how the old hog rings have rusted. If you don't want your new rings to rust like your old ones, go to a vet supply and get some stainless hog rings. And on the subject of stainless, also notice the condition of the listing wires in the seat covers that get hog-ringed to the springs. Typically, you'll also notice how the listing wires have rusted and corroded the cotton listing tubes sewn on the bottom of the old covers when you remove them. To avoid that with your new covers, make new listing wires from some .125" stainless TIG welding rod.

Take your time and be patient.

fy469rtse

Twodko , when I joined this site, they must have forgotten to send me my decoder ring, still waiting,

Ghoste

What, they let you join without it?  jk :icon_smile_big:

twodko

I know man. It's Bull's fault. Word is he's hoarding them to make a bling vest that he'll wear when he gets his
Charger on the road.  :shruggy:

Ghoste

It's ok, I don't have mine yet either.  That Bull theory makes sense though.

twodko

If he looks too pretty, Tuffy will hit it.  :lol:  :lol: :lol: