News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drive to Carlisle

Started by 66FBCharger, May 17, 2012, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billfury

This was a fun ride for me in 2000 to Carlisle. 3hours with the A/C on, blasting my am radio.When I got to Carlisle I was frozen.The bad thing about this thing was very easy to fall asleep in.

Cooter

Quote from: Back N Black on May 29, 2012, 07:19:54 PM
Quote from: Cooter on May 18, 2012, 06:28:05 AM
Quote from: Back N Black on May 17, 2012, 06:29:33 PM
If you don't want to drive because your worried about breaking down, whats the point in having a muscle car?

Um, did you read what is posted, or are you just skipping to the end like one would a book?

INTERSTATE break downs are not enjoyable, Not to meantion DEADLY.. Breakdowns are inevidable. Not all of us have AAA and just dial a number..Please try and actually READ the thread before you try and be cute.

I'm not trying to be cute and i don't have AAA, i have confidence in what i build. As for fixing a car on the INTERSTATE that's peanuts, try fixing a vehicle on the side of the road and being shot at by a sniper. :2thumbs:

Whatever.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Aero426

Quote from: bill440rt on May 18, 2012, 07:07:54 AM
AAA is not necessarily a bad thing, in many cases it's a smart thing.

The AAA "Plus RV" program is a great deal.   It gives you 100 miles of towing which is handy for an old car.  Even if you use the service once a year for something like a lockout, it's paid for itself.   

Troy

Quote from: Aero426 on May 30, 2012, 08:45:26 AM
Quote from: bill440rt on May 18, 2012, 07:07:54 AM
AAA is not necessarily a bad thing, in many cases it's a smart thing.

The AAA "Plus RV" program is a great deal.   It gives you 100 miles of towing which is handy for an old car.  Even if you use the service once a year for something like a lockout, it's paid for itself.   
That's what I have. I've used it once in the last 5 years - and that was to tow my truck. :eyes:

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Aero426

Back to the original topic.   I have a buddy who looks at it this way.   If you can get your car to drive 5 miles, then go ten.   If you can get it to go ten miles, next time, drive 20,  After 20 miles,  go 50 miles.   If you have a pattern of reliability, you can pretty much go anywhere.    Other than checking fluids, I really don't think twice about jumping in the Superbird and heading to Road America which is a 130 mile round trip for me.   Breaking down on the interstate never enters my mind, UNLESS it is for a blown trailer tire.   :lol:

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: billfury on May 30, 2012, 06:07:35 AM
This was a fun ride for me in 2000 to Carlisle. 3hours with the A/C on, blasting my am radio.When I got to Carlisle I was frozen.The bad thing about this thing was very easy to fall asleep in.

That was a great car Bill :cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: NHCharger on May 17, 2012, 10:00:36 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 17, 2012, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 17, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
Bakerhillpins,
We are going from Ct. It is around 5 or 6 hours drive for us. Not sure about everyone's schedule. It would be cool to have a convoy from New England. Any thought?

That would be exactly what I am looking for. What days are you planning on traveling?

I briefly mentioned it to NHCharger over the winter and was thinking I would try to hook up with him since I knew he usually drove down.

I'm probably heading out on wednesday night and stay over in NY. That way I can roll into Carlisle around noon on thursday. Last year there was a bad accident that shut down 84 for hours late Thursday morning. I think TeeWJ got caught up in that mess. I was one hour ahead of it. The year before they were paving 84 and it was 100º in the shade. The car was overheating and I ended up driving back roads that added several hours to a already long day. Back in 2000 there was a fatal accident on 84 and I sat in traffic for 3+ hours.
There always seems to be some type of traffic issue on the way down that caused me to miss the Thursday kick off show. If I do leave on Thursday I'll probably leave around 3-4 AM.

I have put almost 18K on my car since 97 and  In 98 we wrecked on 84 in NY  about 10 miles from the Conn. border. Second time out for distance. So I have no guilt about loading it on a trailer. Other than  local drives for my amusement  it don't get run much. When I get the stocker done thats a different story.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

billfury

that was a great car Bill :cheers:

Thanks Chris.
That was a car I should of kept.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I hope to make it to Carlisle this year, at least for one day. Two years ago, I made it on Saturday and saw a rusted hulk of a 1969 Charger on the show field, but it wasn't for sale. It was brown or bronze though  :scratchchin:

Last year, I made it for a few hours, but aside from a few cars in the Survivor tent and one or two on the field, I was underwhelmed by some of the other cars :Twocents:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 17, 2012, 02:44:22 PM
Quote from: bakerhillpins on May 17, 2012, 01:07:29 PM
Quote from: 66FBCharger on May 17, 2012, 11:38:53 AM
Bakerhillpins,
We are going from Ct. It is around 5 or 6 hours drive for us. Not sure about everyone's schedule. It would be cool to have a convoy from New England. Any thought?

That would be exactly what I am looking for. What days are you planning on traveling?

I briefly mentioned it to NHCharger over the winter and was thinking I would try to hook up with him since I knew he usually drove down.
We haven't firmed up dates and times yet. We will probably leave Thursday morning i'm guessing. Maybe late Thursday morning. I will try to see if I can get a better idea of times from my buddies.
We go out I84 since I live a mile from 84.

So what's the word guys? Any plans for the trip down. Still entertaining the idea of driving the old beast and still interested in at least starting out in a convoy.  :icon_smile_wink:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

1970Moparmann

I used to have this opinion until I did the Hot Rod Power Tour.  I've owned 68 - 70 Chargers for 25 years and put probably 4,000 miles combined until 3 years ago.  In the last 3 years, I did the Hot Rod Tour in my 68 Charger about 3,000 miles alone, plus 1,500 in my Coronet and I found out real quick, I missed out with not driving them over the years.   This summer I've put on another extra 500 miles in the last 8 weeks and I'm having a blast. 

I always had every excuse possible about not driving them - The brakes aren't modern, the steering isn't power, knuckleheads all around, don't want kids to put there ice cream hands on my car, on and on and on.     Now I drive them and I absolutely love it.   Just have to drive it them based on what they have in them.  My 70 RT is manual everything, I just slow my ass down much quicker than my 68 that stops on a dime.  :2thumbs:
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Dino

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on June 29, 2012, 08:19:30 AM
I used to have this opinion until I did the Hot Rod Power Tour.  I've owned 68 - 70 Chargers for 25 years and put probably 4,000 miles combined until 3 years ago.  In the last 3 years, I did the Hot Rod Tour in my 68 Charger about 3,000 miles alone, plus 1,500 in my Coronet and I found out real quick, I missed out with not driving them over the years.   This summer I've put on another extra 500 miles in the last 8 weeks and I'm having a blast. 

I always had every excuse possible about not driving them - The brakes aren't modern, the steering isn't power, knuckleheads all around, don't want kids to put there ice cream hands on my car, on and on and on.     Now I drive them and I absolutely love it.   Just have to drive it them based on what they have in them.  My 70 RT is manual everything, I just slow my ass down much quicker than my 68 that stops on a dime.  :2thumbs:

That's what it's all about!  Drive those suckers!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

NHCharger

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 29, 2012, 08:06:16 AM
So what's the word guys? Any plans for the trip down. Still entertaining the idea of driving the old beast and still interested in at least starting out in a convoy.  :icon_smile_wink:

I'm leaning towards leaving Wednesday night and staying over in NY. Then it's only a 4 hour drive and I can hit the swap meet early and do the kick off show. The plan is still to drive my 72 down.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

resq302

We are probably leaving from the Andover, NJ area about 9ish or so, maybe even 10 am on Thursday.  Should be able to be there in plenty of time to surf the swap meet for a bit and then head over to the kick off party!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

69 OUR/TEA

Quote from: billfury on May 30, 2012, 06:07:35 AM

I like it alot !!!!!! That is a cool ride !!!! :2thumbs:

TUFCAT

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on June 29, 2012, 07:08:57 PM

I like it alot !!!!!! That is a cool ride !!!! :2thumbs:

:iagree:  Sport Fury GT's are COOL.  (sorry for the HiJack)

bill440rt

Our caravan here out of S.I./N.J. will be leaving around 8:00am Thursday morning. Will probably hit the swap field for a while, then maybe go to the kick-off Thursday night.
Looking forward to the show!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

Bill, wont you guys hit the morning rush hour traffic at that time?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bill440rt

Quote from: resq302 on June 29, 2012, 10:38:23 PM

Maybe. Last year we convoyed around the same time. It wasn't so bad, at least the route we took.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: bill440rt on June 29, 2012, 10:47:03 PM

Maybe. Last year we convoyed around the same time. It wasn't so bad, at least the route we took.  :2thumbs:

78???     What time do you guys anticipate hitting the PA border?   I usually stop at the rest stop at the toll booth to use the facilities and grab free maps.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 30, 2012, 05:35:19 AM

78???     What time do you guys anticipate hitting the PA border?   I usually stop at the rest stop at the toll booth to use the facilities and grab free maps.

Map?  WTF is a map?   Oh you mean the MapQuest App for the iPhone...

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 30, 2012, 05:45:29 AM

Map?  WTF is a map?   Oh you mean the MapQuest App for the iPhone...

;)

A map is a hardcopy backup for when you drop your iphone in the toilet.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

bakerhillpins

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on June 30, 2012, 06:32:53 AM

78???     What time do you guys anticipate hitting the PA border?   I usually stop at the rest stop at the toll booth to use the facilities and grab free maps.

Map?  WTF is a map?   Oh you mean the MapQuest App for the iPhone...

;)

A map is a hardcopy backup for when you drop your iphone in the toilet.

Something tells me there is a texting while relieving story to be told.  :lol:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

moparstuart

Quote from: bill440rt on June 29, 2012, 10:47:03 PM

dont let uncle george blow up his truck again
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

BananaDan

78???     What time do you guys anticipate hitting the PA border?   I usually stop at the rest stop at the toll booth to use the facilities and grab free maps.

Map?  WTF is a map?   Oh you mean the MapQuest App for the iPhone...

;)

MapQuest?  That's so 90's.  I didn't know they were still alive.  The iPhone comes with Google Maps!   ;D  

Now if you want a cool iPhone app for the drive to Carlisle, check this baby out.  They have a free version and a $1.99 version.  It's especially useful if you have a speedo that's not accurate like I do.

http://studeo4ios.com/?p=67

Brian,
We would probably hit the NJ/PA border on 78 around 9:15-9:30ish?

Dan
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein