News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo cable routing

Started by bull, May 16, 2012, 10:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just go my new speedometer cable and ran it from the trans up to the dash but I have a couple of routing questions. First, does the cable go straight out from the trans to the frame rail and then forward? If so, does it go above or below the torsion bar? Next, where does the clip go? There's a lip in the sheet metal that runs about 10 inches back from the firewall on that side which is where I have it now. Seems to be the right spot but I'm not sure. Last, once the cable come through the firewall, does it go between the clutch and brake pedal up to the speedo or does it go to one side or the other? And is there a other place under the dash to secure the cable or is it loose at that point?

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

A383Wing

bull

Oh, you guys are a big friggin' help.

Fred

17000+ posts................haven't you learnt anything?   :smilielol: :smilielol:

It goes straight through the firewall. The hole should be provided (factory standard) under the master cylinder. The cable goes over the torsion bars. The clip is fine where it's at. The cable hangs free from firewall to speedo.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

bull

Quote from: Fred on May 17, 2012, 12:49:16 AM
17000+ posts................haven't you learnt anything?   :smilielol: :smilielol:

It goes straight through the firewall. The hole should be provided (factory standard) under the master cylinder. The cable goes over the torsion bars. The clip is fine where it's at. The cable hangs free from firewall to speedo.

So between the brake/clutch pedals or to one side? Or are you one of those two-pedal pansies? :nana:

Fred

Quote from: bull on May 17, 2012, 12:55:48 AM
Quote from: Fred on May 17, 2012, 12:49:16 AM

So between the brake/clutch pedals or to one side? Or are you one of those two-pedal pansies? :nana:

Make a bee (straight) line from the hole in the firewall to the speedo connection. (do not turn left or right :lol:)

bull

Unless there's a pedal in the way, right? Not sure I want the cable rubbing on one of the pedals.

Fred

Quote from: bull on May 17, 2012, 01:28:26 AM
Unless there's a pedal in the way, right? Not sure I want the cable rubbing on one of the pedals.

Gee Bull I didn't have that problem. My cable clears the pedal nicely. If that's the case, maybe you could use a cable tie.
If all else fails, drop the car off at my place and I'll fix it for you.
Pedal pansies obviously don't have that problem............that's what you get when you have one pedal too many.  :nana:

bull

Sure, you can finish it all for me if you want. :2thumbs:

Troy

I'll try to snap a pic of mine while I'm at the garage today. I do not have any detail pics of those areas yet so I need some for the collection any way.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

bull

Troy

Wouldn't you know it - that car is missing the speedometer cable...

I guess whenever you figure it out I'll need to know as well.

Troy

bull

Quote from: Troy on May 20, 2012, 09:54:01 AM
Wouldn't you know it - that car is missing the speedometer cable...

I guess whenever you figure it out I'll need to know as well.

Troy

:lol: Oh well. Right now I've got mine going between the pedals but I won't really know if that's going to work until I get the gauge cluster installed. Found one picture that showed the cable going just to the left of the hump in the dash frame for the steering column. If that's right it would seem the most direct route would be between the pedals. Either way I think I'm going to try anchoring it it somewhere/somehow.

Troy

Yep, it pretty much only goes one way. It's super stiff so you can't really bend it around anything and still get it attached to the speedometer.

Troy

bull

Yea, without having installed my cluster yet I was going by a pic I took of the empty dash frame before I pulled the drivetrain. Of course I didn't take a picture from under the dash. :slap: There are lots of pictures I wish I would have taken during the disassembly process.

Dans 68

Curtis,

my speedometer cable routes between the pedals and up to the speedo, with no cables or ties.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

A383Wing

as does mine...but I'm not getting down there to take a pic...I'll never get back up

Bryan

jaak

Dan,
Is the spring on running from the brake pedal then hooked to the column a factory spring...or did you add it?

Jason

A383Wing

Betting he added it to keep his brake lights from staying on...it ain't factory

Bryan

Dans 68

I purchased the car with it.  ;)

Dan

bull

Quote from: Dans 68 on May 20, 2012, 01:56:33 PM
Curtis,

my speedometer cable routes between the pedals and up to the speedo, with no cables or ties.

Dan

Gah! Something about that thing rubbing against the clutch pedal really bugs me.

bull

I wish I had about 10 more pictures of your underdash, including (but not limited to) the map light and ash tray wiring.

Dans 68

Quote from: bull on May 20, 2012, 06:19:30 PM
Quote from: Dans 68 on May 20, 2012, 01:56:33 PM
Curtis,

Dan

Gah! Something about that thing rubbing against the clutch pedal really bugs me.

Yeah, probably only good for a 100,00 miles or so....  ;)  It looks fine to me.  :Twocents:

Quote from: bull on May 20, 2012, 06:24:16 PM
I wish I had about 10 more pictures of your underdash, including (but not limited to) the map light and ash tray wiring.

That probably could be done. I'll post them here when I get a few snapped. May not be the best detail, of course.

Dan

gtx6970

Comes out of the trans then goes over and thru a clip thats spot welded to the floorpan , then turns and goes forwad along the frame rail

best one I got
As far as under dash  I don't think there is or was any kind of routing clip on a B-body