News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Modern 1969 style Charger CONCEPT CAR!!! WHAT do you think??

Started by MoPower, May 16, 2012, 08:53:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoPower

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 16, 2012, 11:52:12 AM
Quote from: MoPower on May 16, 2012, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 16, 2012, 11:17:30 AM
This I would buy.

Thats a modern interpretation of the 2nd gen IMO

Cudos to the artist, but Looks too shortend like an AMX  (shortend Javlin) IMO . I'd like to see the front of it, if it is stock 2011 nose, I do not like that much.

From what I remember when I saved the photo, the designer used the Challenger wheel base and dimensions for the rendering to show what a Charger would look like built on that platform

It's a nice idea, but realistically speaking, you would have to cut the car in half and put it back together, custom make a new door out of metal and lots of bondo, make  new rear glass hand make matching window trim that does not exist.  Also these days they dont allow the fuel hose to run inside the trunk for safety reasons /fumes. Basically, unless Dodge made it that way, it's a pipe dream unless you have $100K+ to throw at it, and then the front is still ... well a 2012 nose

DC_1

I think the idea wasn't to build a custom 1 off car, it was to fuel the idea that Chrysler could build a 2 door version of the Charger on an existing platform.

MoPower

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 16, 2012, 12:09:03 PM
I think the idea wasn't to build a custom 1 off car, it was to fuel the idea that Chrysler could build a 2 door version of the Charger on an existing platform.

Why would they do that when they offer the Challenger?  the new Charger fills a very valuable spot in the market. Most people do not want a 2 door these days as it is very inconvenient for mom and kids. The Charger lets Dad have his muscle car toy and still please the family - that is why they sold so well. What I am proposing has the styling of a 2 door but the 4 door convenience factor as well... but you  can't please everybody.

NHCharger

Quote from: Dino on May 16, 2012, 10:44:11 AM
The following is my opinion, it is not stated fact nor law and should therefore not cause any ill feelings towards those who like the new Charger.   :icon_smile_big:

The more you try to make it look like a 2nd gen, tribute or not, the more ridiculous it looks.  After '74 the use of the Charger name became quite the joke.  I can live with a car using the name, actually I couldn't care less what you call it, but trying to make a mediocre sedan look like a legend in the muscle car world is pointless.

You may as well start with a Volvo and give it hidden headlights, it's the same dumb thing.  That rearend by the way looks like any other Japanese tail.  

The latest model is the worst to me because of the same reasons, putting 2nd gen accents on a sedan does not make the car more desirable to me, it makes it more of a joke than it already was.  For what it's worth, I don't care about the Mustang, Challenger or Camaro either.  They will never come close to the classics.

And I honestly don't care what's under the hood, I couldn't drive that thing.

:iagree: :iagree:

THe first pic looked promising. As soon as I saw the side profile it turned me off. The rear quarters look like their on steriods. Not sleek and smooth like the 2nd gens.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

DC_1

Quote from: MoPower on May 16, 2012, 12:16:15 PM

Why would they do that when they offer the Challenger?  the new Charger fills a very valuable spot in the market. Most people do not want a 2 door these days as it is very inconvenient for mom and kids. The Charger lets Dad have his muscle car toy and still please the family - that is why they sold so well. What I am proposing has the styling of a 2 door but the 4 door convenience factor as well... but you  can't please everybody.

Really, then why do they offer a Honda Accord Coupe, or Hyundai Genisis Coupe? Even some of the others like Nissan, Toyota, BMW, Audi, Cadillac and others who have both 4 door and 2 door models of a particular vehicle. I think there is a market for both. And while the Challenger is in that 2 door segment of the market, I think there is room for another offering from Chrysler with a car that has different styling and trim to appeal to a particular part of that 2 door market.

MoPower

Ants

What dose every one want, for dodge break out the original stampings and start making 2nd generations chargers again? 

I agree the 06-10 should have had a different name, there's nothing "Charger" about them, but if it wasn't for pople like MoPower modifying what wasn't supposed to be a Charger, the 2011-12 would be where it is today or going in the direction it is.

I like it! :2thumbs: And Mopower, When you make a 69 style grill for the 2011-12 i'll be one of the first to jump on it.

DC_1

Quote from: MoPower on May 16, 2012, 12:57:14 PM
Thank you all for being so kind  :cheers:

Just friendly debate and banter my friend!

tracpack440

1969 Charger  R/T SE 4 spd dana

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: MoPower on May 16, 2012, 09:51:19 AM
Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 16, 2012, 09:39:42 AM
Looks like it is trying too hard to be something that it's not - a 2nd gen Charger. Putting hideaway headlights and a split grille on a 1999 Intrepid makes it no more a Charger than this car.

By comparison, at least the current generation Challenger was a modern day interpretation of what it once was.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand your statement... this is a modern Dodge Charger not an intrepid...didn't know folks on here were such modern charger haters -  no love the younger brother!!!  Does it get no credit for atleast having a rear wheel drive HEMI V8?
You didn't know most people here are modern Charger haters?  Ok. That and the the new member title say it all.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Road Dog

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on May 16, 2012, 02:23:00 PM
Looks like it is trying too hard to be something that it's not - a 2nd gen Charger. Putting hideaway headlights and a split grille on a 1999 Intrepid makes it no more a Charger than this car.

By comparison, at least the current generation Challenger was a modern day interpretation of what it once was.

I'm sorry but I really don't understand your statement... this is a modern Dodge Charger not an intrepid...didn't know folks on here were such modern charger haters -  no love the younger brother!!!  Does it get no credit for atleast having a rear wheel drive HEMI V8?
You didn't know most people here are modern Charger haters?  Ok. That and the the new member title say it all.

Don't quite understand it. While not a Charger it is an awesome car in it's own right as is the Challenger. I couldn't think of a better daily driver. I like anything V8 and rear wheel drive. We went through some lean years waiting ( I Did)for Dodge to give us a performance rear wheel drive V8. Finally they made the Dakota R/T's (bought an 03) kinda filled the need. Then the Challenger and Charger came out. I was loving it. Traded the Dakota in on the Challenger. It's my driver. Can't get much better. 
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

MoPower

So which forum is it that the new chargers arn't hated?

DC_1

Dino

Quote from: MoPower on May 16, 2012, 02:41:13 PM

www.Iamwrong.com   :D

J/K  :icon_smile_big:

http://www.lxforums.com/

There might be others but that's the one I see popup here from time to time.

Quote from: Road Dog on May 16, 2012, 02:39:55 PM
While not a Charger it is an awesome car in it's own right as is the Challenger.

I think that's where we differ.  We meaning pro and contra LX car peeps.  I don't think the Charger is awesome at all.  I haven't seen anything on that car that made me look twice, honestly they're like a ricer car to me because I usually see them tricked out with spoilers and massive rims.  One pulled up beside me a few days ago, when I was in the 69, and the guy me the thumbs up so I politely thanked him.  I couldn't figure out why his demeanor changed until the light turned green and he pulled in front of me.  I thought it was Toyota or something!  I guess he wanted to see a thumb as well.  Not that it matters though, I still wouldn't give that thing the thumbs up.

The Challenger is as retro as the new Mustang and there is definitely a market for that.  I wouldn't want one but I can see why others do.

Oh well, these are just opinions and mine isn't worth more than yours so drive whatever makes you happy.   :Twocents:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: MoPower on May 16, 2012, 02:41:13 PM

Hey don't get me wrong.  I'm the one that started this thread.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,58129.msg647922/topicseen.html#msg647922

That's how I know most are haters.  That new design looks cool from the front, but when you see the side it's just not matching what the front used to match in 69.  Something like that.  ;D
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

404NOTFOUND

The big problem with retro cars is that they are a sad reflection of an industry that can't seem to design new cars that look good, at least not at an affordable price. They didn't make retro cars in the '50s, '60s and ''70s. They made beautiful cars from scratch. Why can't they do it now?
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: 404NOTFOUND on May 16, 2012, 04:18:20 PM
The big problem with retro cars is that they are a sad reflection of an industry that can't seem to design new cars that look good, at least not at an affordable price. They didn't make retro cars in the '50s, '60s and ''70s. They made beautiful cars from scratch. Why can't they do it now?
Good point. Hate to say this but there are some real sharp Jap cars out there. Hyundai, Nissan, Honda,  well all of them.

Indygenerallee

The wife has a 06 Charger (getting ready to re-spray it Plum Crazy purple with SRT-8 spoiler and Superbee graphics) But I really love the new 2011 up Chargers the first time I saw it I could see the 2nd gen resemblence, hood indents, door indents, rear tailight, C pillar flat into the quarter, Is it a 2nd gen NO, but for a reliable car that has all the ammenities known to man it's a heck of a nice car! I love em' all but then again I am a Mopar or Nocar kinda guy.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Cooter

MY Opinion on this is too many "Sheeple" are willing to plunk down the money for whatever is put in front of them and try and make excuses as to why it was the "right thing" to buy.....I'll wait until they are producing a stripper Challenger, 6.1 liter Hemi, 6 speed, stripper interior, NO A/C, Back seat delete, weighs about 3400 Lbs with all the 5 star crash sh*t, and I can ORDER the FREAKING thing MY WAY....Not what Mercedes err,(Chrysler) thinks I should have.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Indygenerallee

Cooter

Well, we are yet to see what FIAT does to the Cheap Hooker that Chrysler has been lately. We'll see. Thought Mercedes was bad, I can't wait till FIAT turns out a FWD version of the All new for 2015 Challenger with it's 3.8 Liter V8 engine rated at an astonishing 300 HP...GONE will be the HEMI and the likes. The Viper is next. All in time....The Musclecars of the late 60's will have their day in the sun yet again.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Indygenerallee

hatersaurusrex

Actually I agree, if they moved the ass-end out just a few inches to give the rear some overhang.  Otherwise it's the closest thing I've seen.

Where did all the original pics go?   The thread is only from this morning and photobucket is saying they aren't there anymore.

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 16, 2012, 11:17:30 AM
This I would buy.

Thats a modern interpretation of the 2nd gen IMO

[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Ants

MY Opinion on this is too many "Sheeple" are willing to plunk down the money for whatever is put in front of them and try and make excuses as to why it was the "right thing" to buy.....I'll wait until they are producing a stripper Challenger, 6.1 liter Hemi, 6 speed, stripper interior, NO A/C, Back seat delete, weighs about 3400 Lbs with all the 5 star crash sh*t, and I can ORDER the FREAKING thing MY WAY....Not what Mercedes err,(Chrysler) thinks I should have.

The Challenger is coming to it's end, I believe 2014 or so is supposedly the last year. 

The Chrysler/Dodge Cuda is up next.

Mike DC

If the OEMs actually produced a really accurate 1960s styled retro car today, we would be complaining about the same downsides that we cheerfully tolerate in the 45yo classics. 

That kind of old-school uncompromised styling comes with terrible crashworthiness, substandard interior room for the class, bad aerodynamics (MPG and wind noise issues), etc.