News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbie - stoopid question?

Started by ScottishCharger, May 13, 2012, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottishCharger

Hello all and greeting from sunny Scotland, very glad to join this forum - seems like a good bunch of blokes on here!
Brief history... I had a 67 Mustang Fastback for 9 years, sold it (paid a chunk off the mortgage :'( ).   Now I want to be one of the "bad guys"  :flame: instead of err Bullitt!  Yes even in Scotland there are quite a few vintage Mustangs but early Chargers... probably barely half a dozen!
I've been to the USA about 20 times (since 1993) and visited most of the States and it's my intention to hopefully relocate some day but until then I would really like to buy myself a nice 68 Charger (love those rear round tail-lights and all black grill), not very original of me I know but if truth be told it wasn't just because of Bullitt but also Bill "squeel  :o like a pig" McKinney  driving a black 68 Charger in Carquake too!
I'm after a really nice 68 Charger restored or otherwise - I don't want to spend all the import duties on a fixer-upper car and then spend another fortune on import duties/taxes on parts etc so I want to just enjoy it and drive and terrrorise the little small car brigade around the area  :nana:  LOL
A 4 speed would be a bonus too and colour... well a black one would be veeeery nice.  Don't really care about numbers matching. Either a 383 or 440, doesn't have to be an RT.
My stupid question is (sorry for waffling on) - what exactly would I get for say $25,000? ($30,000 at extreme push  :-\ ) Anything like this?
Once again, sorry for going on and on, glad to be a part of this forum - I promise not to p1$$ off any of you by saying words like "bonnet" or "boot" or "petrol"  or mention tea or anything British! :icon_smile_tongue:
My style is light and comedic (I'm trying to write a book/screenplay) so if I come across as a smart-arse oops, I mean smart-ass... then apologies!
Cheers,
Charlie

Dans 68

Welcome to the site! And don't worry about your problems with speaking our english; we have been very accommodating ever since that skirmish over the pond.  ;)  Also good choice in year.  :icon_smile_wink:

For $25 to $30K you should be able to get a '68 that has either been restored, but may need of cleaning up and maybe a new paint job and minor repairs, or a survivor that needs a bit more work, but either would both be driveable and show worthy. But no matter what you find out there for sale, have someone vet the car for you, either a paid professional or someone from this board or another. Also put a wanted ad here, and on "for B bodies only" and Moparts. Cannot hurt.

And its spelt "stupid", by the way.   ;D

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

68X426

Welcome Charlie.  :2thumbs:

We love Scotch around here. At least I do.

Contact "BobT" (Kelvin, a great Kiwi) on this forum. Send him a PM http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=9685

Last year he bought a black Charger from the States and had it shipped to New Zealand. He can tell you all about what he went thru shopping for it, prices, completing the deal, and what's gone on since.

I'm a little more optimistic than Dan68 about how much car you get for the dollar right now. Prices are still depressed for sellers. His advice is gold: somebody has got to look at it and look hard. You can't buy unseen.

My signature includes the only known pic of the bad guy's Charger about to crash. Enjoy. You found the right forum, Dan.

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Kern Dog

"Spelt" stupid? How about SPELLED stupid! :nana:

Tilar

Quote from: ScottishCharger on May 13, 2012, 10:17:53 AM
I promise not to p1$$ off any of you by saying words like "bonnet" or "boot" or "petrol"  or mention tea or anything British! :icon_smile_tongue:
My style is light and comedic (I'm trying to write a book/screenplay) so if I come across as a smart-arse oops, I mean smart-ass... then apologies!
Cheers,
Charlie

Welcome aboard! 1968, great choice of Charger!   :2thumbs:  I don't think that you'll piss anyone off by using words like "bonnet" or "boot" or "petrol", but it does sound like someone might be a little light in the loafers.   :girlfight:

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on May 13, 2012, 12:20:51 PM

And he was worried about coming across as a smart ass.  :smilielol:  He'll fit right in around here.  ;)

Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Dans 68

...and someone fell into the trap. Priceless....   ;)

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/spelt

The form spelt may predominate over spelled in parts of North America with heavier English settlement since the 19th century....

Yeah, you'll fit right in here.  :icon_smile_wink:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BBKNARF

Welcome aboard Charlie, yes you can definitly drive and show it off at your local cruise night for $25,000  :cheers:

Frank
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

bull

I like this guy. :2thumbs: A smartass who wants a black 68 four speed. Sounds like me.

cdr

welcome charlie,from charlie,i like your spellin :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Fred

Welcome Charlie. You're right, this is a great forum with a great bunch of guys (me included......ask anyone).
As for saying words like boot, bonnet and petrol, I use those all the time. It's educational and broadens the mind.

Hope you find what you're looking for.
:cheers:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

ScottishCharger

Ha, cheers   :cheers: for the welcome guys... really appreciate it!

Yeah I decided to just go for it, I'm rapidly approaching 50 and get this... even the Missus says "go and get your dream car"   :yesnod:

Speaking of which, I did see this car on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-/251056238154?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a741e2e4a

The rust in the trunk looks a bit alarming (to me) but the owner says it's not as bad as it looks  ::) .  In doing a bit of research over the last few months I've noticed that replacing trunk floors seems to be par for the course - was/is this a common problem for early Chargers or just due to weathered/old rubber stripping? Is it an easy fix if it is as bad as it looks, or Stay Away?
I know it's an auto but I could live with that in the short-term... I had a nice TKO 5 speed in my Muzz (perfect shifts) and I'm planning on going the same route eventually.

Just wondering what you guys overall impression of it was... and what is the max' you guys would pay for something like this? Just a ball-park figure.

Nah, I aint light on my loafers (cheeky  :flame: sod), after watching the latest dismal excuse for a sitcom my wife says "you could do better" and seeing as I hate my day to day job I thought I'd give it a go... that was 4 years ago and I'm just about there.

Hey Dan for what its worth, I have used both "spelt" and "Spelled"  ;D

If any of you guys are interested in checking out a wee video I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VpmQx3-dQU&feature=relmfu

Cheers,

Charlie

rarefish

Charlie,  Nice video and a nice "Stang"  It looks like you are also a Gary Moore fan. He left us way too soon. :'( One of the all time great guitarist.

tan top

hello & welcome   :yesnod: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:   nice looking  mustang
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

cdr

trunk floor rust is very common,please pay someone to look at the car before you buy :Twocents: :Twocents:paint looks fair from what i can see,driver quality 
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

404NOTFOUND

Welcome aboard. I'm OK with boot, bonnet and petrol. You might want to check with the ladies though before you call them "Lassie"  ;D
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

Brock Samson

Blokes?.  :shruggy: good luck & Welcome to the fray. 25-30 U.S. is a good place to start.  :icon_smile_wink:

westcoastdodge

hey charlie,im just down the road from you in sunny cumbria,welcome :2thumbs:
I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

RECHRGD

The auction just ended with a high bid of $22K.  The reserve was not met.....
13.53 @ 105.32

lukedukem

Quote from: ScottishCharger on May 14, 2012, 07:57:32 AM
Ha, cheers   :cheers: for the welcome guys... really appreciate it!

Yeah I decided to just go for it, I'm rapidly approaching 50 and get this... even the Missus says "go and get your dream car"   :yesnod:

Speaking of which, I did see this car on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-Dodge-Charger-/251056238154?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3a741e2e4a

The rust in the trunk looks a bit alarming (to me) but the owner says it's not as bad as it looks  ::) .  In doing a bit of research over the last few months I've noticed that replacing trunk floors seems to be par for the course - was/is this a common problem for early Chargers or just due to weathered/old rubber stripping? Is it an easy fix if it is as bad as it looks, or Stay Away?
I know it's an auto but I could live with that in the short-term... I had a nice TKO 5 speed in my Muzz (perfect shifts) and I'm planning on going the same route eventually.

Just wondering what you guys overall impression of it was... and what is the max' you guys would pay for something like this? Just a ball-park figure.

Nah, I aint light on my loafers (cheeky  :flame: sod), after watching the latest dismal excuse for a sitcom my wife says "you could do better" and seeing as I hate my day to day job I thought I'd give it a go... that was 4 years ago and I'm just about there.

Hey Dan for what its worth, I have used both "spelt" and "Spelled"  ;D

If any of you guys are interested in checking out a wee video I did...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VpmQx3-dQU&feature=relmfu

Cheers,

Charlie

This car just ended at 22,000 and the reserve was not met.  a dealer was listing it so they will mark it up. i think 20,000 would be ok for this car, but they probably wanted 25,000... IMHO. might be better to buy from individual
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

model maker

welcome to the site charlie, by the way  quoting here "Bill "squeel  like a pig" McKinney  driving a black 68 Charger in Carquake too!
The movie was called "CANNONBALL" with david carridine, here in the states was it called carquake too across the pond ?
Bert
MODEL MAKER

rarefish

Rust in the trunks floor is a very common problem. In fact you seldom every see one without some early stages of rust. In most cases the problem was due to water leaking in from the under the stainless trim along the base of the rear window. Once the leak started. The water would find its way usually under the trunk mat and then start doing it's job rusting out the trunk floor.
  Back in the day. The owner never knew that the problem was going on until it was too late and the damage was done. I have seen 2nd gen. Chargers with real clean original bodies,  but have some level of trunk floor rust.

model maker

That rear window ledge was sure a rust collector. rust maker. :brickwall:
MODEL MAKER

ScottishCharger

Wow, thanks for the responses!  And again cheers for the welcome, really appreciate it! :icon_smile_big:
As for the car on e-bay, I got in touch with the seller and it turned out he was after the "low $30s" which I thought was a bit too much for what was on offer, but hell what do I know?  That's why I joined this board, to learn from the experts - you guys!  :yesnod:

Thanks for the info' re rust creeping in - I wouldn't have guessed it came in from under the stainless trim!  Is that a window-out job to re-seal it etc?

Rarefish, I absolutely agree with you.  Only saw him (Gary Moore) playing live once (with Jack Bruce & Ginger Baker in Glasgow) and I still can't believe he's gone  :'(

Hello Ray, you are just down the road - Cumbria is very close!  Did you import your car yourself? Is yours an auto or manual?  Tell me more!

ModelMaker, I think it's been called both names here  :shruggy:  I still have a version of it on video-tape from the early 80s somewhere.

I might hold some of you guys offering to view/check a car out for me - I'll obviously pay for petrol costs etc  :2thumbs: That would be a real help, I'll throw in a bottle of whisky too  :drool5:

Cheers,
Charlie

Wicked72

welcome to the site. :cheers: youll find we are special here you may be special too  :smilielol:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

aussiemuscle

Welcome charlie, i can just imagine you coming up behind some old guy in a triumph or other small call in your big black charger  :rofl: