News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 CHARGER BALL JOINT HELP?

Started by mikes4692003, May 21, 2012, 02:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikes4692003

CAN SOMEBODY TELL ME HOW TO CHANGE UPPER AND LOWER BALL JOINTS ON 1969 CHARGER?

resq302

Lower ball joints are easy.  Unbolt the two bolts from the spindle and separate it from the lower control arm with a pickle fork or other kind of ball joint separator.  Upper one is a little more complicated.  There is a special socket for unscrewing the upper ball joint.  Again, you need to use some kind of a ball joint separator for removing the ball joint from the steering knuckle.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

mikes4692003

DOES IT MATTER WHICH ONE TO DO FIRST TOP OR BOTTOM, AND IS IT SAFE TO DO ON JAKE STANDS?

John_Kunkel

Please lose the caps lock.

If you place the jack stands under the lower control arms you can safely replace either/both ball joints.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.