News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 to 432 stroker kit

Started by MORFF, May 06, 2012, 01:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MORFF

Been looking on the net and like the smaller 432 stoker kit. I am going to have to machine my 383 any way why not.I have looked on the 440 source seems like thats where everybody goes. Can you guys tell me how much I am looking at for the stroker kit. Plus can I use my 906 stock heads if I port them a little? Thanks guys. The block is a 383 big block from 1969 it was 2 barel stock engine low compression if that matters thanks again.
http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0605_mopar_performance_383_stroker_engine/viewall.html article where got idea from
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

Chryco Psycho

the kits are around $1800 for a kit [Crank ,rods ,pistons ,brgs & rings,balanced ]
this makes a good combo , you are basically building a 440 with 7 lbs less mass & a couple less CI .
The heads can be used & will make good power if they are ported properly .
Stealthy too as it still looks like a 383 !!

MORFF

Nice thanks Chryco Psycho that dont seem to bad got my last piston out about ten minutes ago. Looks like I have about .015 wear from the wall to the ridge on top of wall not bad for 97,000 miles. So this is my delima stock or strocker, found  stock kit on ebay found for 700.00 but dont know what company to go to with. If I can get 420 hp with my engine with 906 heads with headers. I saw that the road runner 383 had some good horse power. Basicly I want little more than stock 383 hp so after get engine to machine shop have to figure out.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi

Chryco Psycho

I would definately use a stroker kit , you are basically building a 440 in a low deck block , the pistons lose most of the weight , the rod ratio is still excellent , the combo becomes stronger having less mass , generally the rods provided are lighter and stronger than the factory ones . The engine will rev easier as well .
Getting it to make 420 Gross HP is no issue all you are asking is for a 440 to make another 50 hp or so .
I have used a number of the 440 Source kits , they use good quality parts in them , you can also get them from Mancini , Muscle Motors Etc

Scaregrabber

A 383 can be made to run but to do it you would need a set of semi-custom pistons from Diamond to get a decent compression ratio and those pistons will probably cost half of the stroker kit, then you'll still need the rods rebuilt and the crank machined. You might just as well build the 432. The 906's will work well, I would run 2.14 and 1.81 valves in them with some light porting.

Sheldon

Challenger340

440 source kits are basically an Offshore chinese crankshaft, h-beam rods, and forged pistons complete with rings and bearings.

Most Performance Machine Shops in your area "should" easily be able to match, or beat, whatever pricing 440 source is offering using those parts.
If you will requiring machining anyways, probably best to check with them first ??
because,
no matter what kit you obtain from 440 source, get the machining checked thoroughly, as they are sometimes NOT well machined out of the box.

I am a small shop, I can easily match, or beat 440 source, and I still make $$ on the parts....
The 440 source kits use a chinese crank, easily sourced through other distributors, EAGLE, DGR distributors here in North America, others
The Forged pistons are just ICON from KB
The H-Beams, again DGR, Eagle and others
Rings....various
Bearings are Clevitte.

The only thing I can NOT match is the 440 source "balancing", if you want to call it that ??
I simply can NOT bring myself to do things that bad !
but hey, It's the old saying "Shiat WILL run".
Only wimps wear Bowties !

MORFF

Thanks Challenger 340 I will look into it i think might have .030 ware now because i took feeler gauge on one side and mesured .015 so think it has .030 over all. but thats on one piston kinda wierd one wall still has some of the cross lines from honing or some thing so think i am going to have to stroke it out any way. fOUND A couple of machine shops near me have to call them. Do you think i can make it .040 over and make a 423 stroker kit. thanks for all the info trying to figure out what do to so i do it right and do it once.
Mike O
A.K.A Dirty O

Semper Fi