News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is my starter fried?

Started by Dino, May 09, 2012, 04:25:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

It seems like I shouldn't have messed with my car...after restoring the cluster which is just about dead and apparently losing my ds brake lights...I now have a more pressing issue, the starter may be dead.

Drove the car to work this morning, everything, except the previously stated, worked just fine, uneventful drive (not really true in a Charger but you know what I mean).

About 45 minutes ago I leave the office, get in the car, turn the key and the starter does barely one revolution.  Battery dead was the most obvious but something didn't add up.  The interior lights, roof and under dash, are at full strength when I open the door.  I turn the key again and same result, third try the starter turns, stops, turns some more, stops, starts spinning faster and as soon as it picks up a little speed the engine fired up.

Uneventful ride home, about 20-25 minutes, turn the wipers on full blast for a short thunderstorm, turned the lights one, all was well.

I park it in the garage, turn it off and try to restart it and it was back to square one, but now a partial revolution is all I get when I turn the key.  I checked the battery and I can twist the negative off if I really try but it's on pretty snug and it's always been like that.

When I bought the car it had headers installed and I do not know what brand they are.  They're the rusty kind!   :icon_smile_big:

Is it possible that the started has been slow cooking for all these years and it has taken its toll?  Could it be anything else?  I'm not sure where to look.

I only had the car back since last Sunday.  All last season it was completely trouble free but it seems it's my turn!

I try to be positive and say that it's all minor stuff, at least I have a very good Charger now, the one I wanted from the start, I'll fix this stuff and we'll be cruising again soon..but my pessimistic side says damn, the season started and I'm without a ride..    :-\
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

1BAD68

ugh! electrical problems, I hate those.
This might help... http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/archive/roadside.html
I printed one out and keep it in my trunk toolbox just in case.

DC_1

If the lights aren't going dim when you try to crank it I would think it is the starter or the connections to the starter.

Dino

Thanks for the link 1BAD68.

I just tried a few things and read the starter stuff from that link.  DC_1, When I turn the key and try to crank, the lights dim.  Well they pretty much go out actually.  Roof, under dash and console lights.

I took the voltmeter to the battery and have 10.4 volts, there's plenty juice there so it almost has to be the starter.  Sometimes it'll crank a bit more, it'll start very slowly and go for half a second, stalls and does some more.  I tried to look for a way to jumpstart the starter but man with those headers there I can't reach it.  Under the car there's a protective plate bolted to the frame that wraps around the end of the header.  I can probably get the nose up a bit and put the car on stands but what exactly do I need to jump to see if it's dead or not?  I'm not clear on that.

If the starter is busted then the next one will be a mini starter, I know there'ss a thread here somewhere on a good one.  Hope it's cheap....

I'll fix that leaky header while that starter is out though!

DC_1

10.4v is not enough. You should have 12 -13.5 volts. I think your batt is shot

Dino

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 09, 2012, 05:55:27 PM
10.4v is not enough. You should have 12 -13.5 volts. I think your batt is shot

You were right!  I assumed it would be enough.

My wife's Trans Am is parked next to the Charger so I hooked its possitive to the charger's and its negative to one of the body bolts.  That changed the starting sound to a rapid fire.  I put the negative on the battery and it fired right up.  Thank you sir!

So what's a good battery for a much driven car?

DC_1

I would think if your not after that original look any name brand with decent CCA (cold cranking amps) would suffice.

DC_1

If your battery was left hooked up in the car and subjected to the cold weather that's probably what did it in. If your goIng to not drive the car for long periods I would disconnect the batt. During winter months invest in a batt tender

Dino

Current battery has 800 cca I believe.  I did leave it in the car from late November until last week, but the negative cable was removed.  It took several seconds to get fuel to the carb at first startup and the battery did fine.  I guess it got its final blow and if that's all it is then I won't complain!   :icon_smile_cool:

Back N Black

I would not be so quick and say its the battery. What voltage did you have at the battery after you started her up? Maybe its not charging and its killing the battery or maybe you have a bad ground. The battery should be fully charged and then a load test to determine if it is dead. :Twocents:

Dino

I'll have to do a few tests like starting it up and disconnecting the battery to see if it keeps running, but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to get a new battery either.  This is one is real old, who knows how many years.  Oh and it's a motorcraft batttery and it's too wide so I can't clampt it down securely in the tray.

I'll get a new battery, hopefully one of the local autopart stores has something decent, and then I will run more tests to see if I need a new alt or regulator.

Dino

DC_1

Dino

Quote from: DC_1(formerly Sydmoe) on May 10, 2012, 08:48:42 AM
Quote from: Dino on May 10, 2012, 07:09:38 AM
Anything wrong with this one?  I really can't shell out $200 for an optima right now.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Gold-Battery/1969-Dodge-Charger/_/N-iqxorZacy27?itemIdentifier=115785_402958_0_

:2thumbs:

I was hoping to see those thumbs.   :icon_smile_big:

It's a good price and great warranty so I'm picking one up tonight and I will be testing the charging system.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Dino

Good news!  I dropped the new battery in and she fired right up.  Once it idled nicely I pulled the negative off the battery and she kept right on purring...or growling depending how you look at it.  I then switched on the lights and it didn't affect it.  I guess I'm out of the woods with this one at least.   :cheers:

DC_1

Quote from: Dino on May 10, 2012, 07:57:47 PM
Good news!  I dropped the new battery in and she fired right up.  Once it idled nicely I pulled the negative off the battery and she kept right on purring...or growling depending how you look at it.  I then switched on the lights and it didn't affect it.  I guess I'm out of the woods with this one at least.   :cheers:

:nixon:

GL0169

i have daily driven my 69 charger for 25 years now - i have wraped the starter -the headers -all wires - i use an yellow top optima battery and i think its better than the die hard i used to use - a little more money but well worth it