News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 charger rear in a 72?

Started by Wicked72, May 09, 2012, 09:50:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wicked72

im looking to buy a rear for my 72. found a 8 3/4 for $150 for two rears one is out of a 69 charger the other is a C body. what would i hav to do to get one o fit? foolishly sold the one out of he car thinking id buy the beast i want....
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

Cooter

I believe the spring perches might be different widths. I also think the '69 rear is narrower.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

72Charger-SE

Been there... Tried that...  every which way...  I was not able to make it work.  Not saying that someone more talented and knowledgeable would also fail however it was a fail for me.    I ended up trading the rear end from the 69 for the longer one from the 72.  Just my experiences not saying you won't be more successful than I was.  Good Luck!

chargd72

I THINK that the C-body rear has the same length but the perch difference is about a half inch difference.  

'72 Charger SE 4bbl 318                          '76 Power Wagon 400 W200                                 2011 (attempt at a) Charger

RallyeMike

It depends on which C-body it comes out of. There several from the early 70's that are within 1/2" and bolt right in.

On the 69 Charger axle, the spring perches can be cut off and relocated. I think interference will come between the backing plates and springs/bleeder/parking brake cables. of course you could always accompany this with an inboard spring kit (!), and then you will have some tire roooooom.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

John_Kunkel

C-body spring perches are 46" apart, the '71 and later B-body perches are 47.3" apart.

'70 and earlier B-body perches are 44" apart.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Wicked72

so the c body might be the ticket. and sell off the b body. it wont be a permanent rear i just want something to get the car rolling so i can enjoy it while i add to it. ill just get some cheap leafs and make my own ladder bars. unless someone has a rear that just so happens to be going to the oc car show or carlisle? let me know  :2thumbs:
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected