News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My 2000 Durango hard shifting-need some help!

Started by sixpack_sid, May 05, 2012, 08:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango with the small V8 engine & AT trans. Sometimes when I'm driving, it shifts hard to 3rd gear. Other times I can drive it and it's fine. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

c00nhunterjoe

Which trans is in it? If its the 46rh they had problems with the kick down cable's linkage at the trans sticking. The ball gets rusty and the cable doesn't pivot causing erratic shifting at times.

Again, if its the 46rh model, when was the last service and band adjustment?

Indygenerallee

2000 with a 318 or 360 would be a 48RE, 46RE went behind the 3.9 V6
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 05, 2012, 10:57:39 PM
2000 with a 318 or 360 would be a 48RE, 46RE went behind the 3.9 V6

I dont think the 48re is one of the Durango transmissions.  It might have a 46re but more like a 42re,44re or 45rfe.......

Todd

Indygenerallee

My bad, the 46RE was behind the 318 and 360 and the 42RE was behind the 3.9 V6. 46RE (727) 42RE (904)

c00nhunterjoe

I'm not sure which year they switch from the rh to the re trans, but as long as its not the rfe trans then its still a 727 as far as 3rd gear is concerned. The rh model uses the same hydraulic govener as a torqueflite and there model uses an electronic govener. Either way, an erratic 3rd gear shift could be as smple as the kickdown cable adjustment or a sticking valve body

Indygenerallee

It's a RE it's electronically controlled, but still has a kickdown cable, but if it is banging hard in 3rd gear it could be a solenoid, when was the last time the filter and fluid has been changed?

BrianShaughnessy

RE trans all have a pair of solenoids for the governor.     Usually recommended to replace both at the same time.   There's an upgrade borg warner shift solenoid available.   See link below for example... you can buy them off ebay, or any other trans parts supplier.
http://www.doghousediesel.com/catalog/i307.html

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 06, 2012, 09:54:47 AM
It's a RE it's electronically controlled, but still has a kickdown cable, but if it is banging hard in 3rd gear it could be a solenoid, when was the last time the filter and fluid has been changed?

I've owned it for about a year or so now, and never changed the screen or fluid. I guess I'll try that 1st. It has the small V8 engine. I'm not sure which trans is in it.
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Cooter

Time for a rebuild. Trans' were junk to say the least. Kinda like Q-jet carbs..If you got a good one, ride it until it breaks and replace. Repeat as needed.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BrianShaughnessy

Quote from: sixpack_sid on May 09, 2012, 05:44:49 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on May 06, 2012, 09:54:47 AM

I've owned it for about a year or so now, and never changed the screen or fluid. I guess I'll try that 1st. It has the small V8 engine. I'm not sure which trans is in it.

Doesn't really matter,   all the RE's pretty much used the same pair of junk solenoids.       Buy the 2 governor solenoid set,  swap them out along with a fluid / filter and good to go for another while.

I changed the pair with stockers on my 5.9 GC cause it was flaky when I bought it,   ran it 12K  ok.. then it started acting funny again.   Put the upgraded Borg Warner solenoid set in,  another 5 or 6 quarts of +4 and all was good again.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.