News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What if there was a "real" NASCAR again?

Started by b5blue, May 07, 2012, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Who would win? Just like "back in the day" real honest to God factory cars...stock only. You could have classes like Mini Van, SUV, Econo, Sedan ect. or whatever. I'd pay to see that! Heck they do it on the roads here every morning and evening going to and coming from work!  :lol:  Why not on a track?

Indygenerallee

They have school bus races at our local dirt track, I would not call it racing though! like lumbering, banging mess!!  :smilielol: :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

Highbanked Hauler

I agree, NASCAR is slipping slow but sure. I'd like to see them race road trucks again,CANADA still does it I think. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

404NOTFOUND

Agreed. Bring out the stone stock Challengers, Mustangs and Camaros and let em go. Make sure the 500 minimum car public sales rule is kept in place. Next year, Dodge can cheat and bring out a Hemi Daytona and we will all get a fresh round of winged cars we can buy. Yes, it could happen all over again. :2thumbs:
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

A383Wing

I miss watching the Semi-Trucks race....that was fun to watch

Bryan

Aero426

How far back do you have to go for cars in NASCAR to have been stock? 

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on May 07, 2012, 09:20:05 PM
How far back do you have to go for cars in NASCAR to have been stock? 

probably a lot further back than most on here have been alive

Bryan

Chryco Psycho

I have no clue who would win , I don't even know the name of 90% of the drivers anymore !!
But I can bet that I would actually pay attention to the races & care who won again !!
I did care for a few weeks when Dodge re-entered Nascar but with cookie cutter cars , Restrictor plates & allowing Toyoda in I lose interest real fast .

RallyeMike

QuoteYou could have classes like Mini Van, SUV, Econo, Sedan ect. or whatever.

What would happen? Viewers would be bored out of their minds and bitching even louder than they do now.

I think the golden age of Nascar was in the 80's, when the car still looked stock, and competition was close, but not so over-regulated that it has become bland.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Mike DC

In general, I think modern high-gripping tires & heavy aero downforce took the fun out of auto racing.  At least on pavement.  

Modern race cars grip, grip, grip, grip . . . and then catastrophically let go.  The cars always look like they have either full traction or none at all.  Now they always must be either wrecking or passing to give people anything to see at all.    

My prescription for making NASCAR fun again?  Recreate the physics the cars used to have when they moved around more.  Much longer wheelbase, much less downforce, and somewhat less vehicle weight.

Drache

Coolest picture I know of back in the day racing that I wish was still around

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Aero426

Quote from: RallyeMike on May 07, 2012, 11:05:52 PM
QuoteYou could have classes like Mini Van, SUV, Econo, Sedan ect. or whatever.

What would happen? Viewers would be bored out of their minds and bitching even louder than they do now.

This is the truth.  People throw out that "Ya, I wish they raced stock cars" line all the time.    Well, they would be so slow and slow weak that nobody would want to watch it.   Cars haven't been "stock" in forever.   If you look at a photo of a '62 Pontiac race frame, there ain't nothin stock about it.   It might have a stock looking body bolted to it, but that is where it ends.     Cars were a lot more "stock based" back then, but looks can be deceiving.   

41husk

I think it comes down more to the way they raced back then.  I remember talking to Niel Castles and he said more than once that stuff they do now ain't racing.  I don't know how racing then compares to now but I think the guys who were actually in the cars can give us alot of input and that knowledge won't be around forever.  I know talking to guys like that make me want to be able to witness some of the the things there stories portray :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Dino

I would watch a race with totally stock cars of any class on a track that has more than one left turn.  You can make any race exciting if the track suits the cars.  Heck I would probably participate!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Cooter

Stock car racing (Although I think it's a joke and too much money like Pro Drag Racing today), died in 1974...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

rlsbee

I keep thinking that a 'retro' series would be cool. Let 'em use the modern, safe chassis and fit 'em with real stock bodies and motors typical of the period. Maybe the years from '65 to '71. I remember that Dave DeSpain once referred to NASCAR as 'WWF' like. I was upset, at the time, but I think he might have been closer to the truth than I thought.

RallyeMike

QuoteI would watch a race with totally stock cars of any class on a track that has more than one left turn.  You can make any race exciting if the track suits the cars.  Heck I would probably participate!

Yep. Your own $500 Claimer / Hobby Stock / Bumble Bee / Lemons / what-have-you is 100x more fun that watching any race of any kind.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bull

Good idea. Go out and get the most powerful stock models of car used in Nascar (a Chevrolet Impala, a Dodge Charger, a Ford Fusion and a Toyota Camry) and see who wins a 500 mile race. The Fusion and Camry would probably lose though because they'd have to have their timing belts changed halfway through.

Indygenerallee

If you wanna see REAL stock car racing go visit your nearest dirt track! I love going and I love watching modifieds!! But the Sprint cars are the real thriller!! Nothing like dirt racing sideways through the corners, asphalt is for wimps!!!  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

mauve66

i think SCCA racing would be more interesting if they would have 2 tracks side by side so you can race the clock and someone else at the same time.  still, when i was at the MATS it was alot more fun doing it than it looked like from the stands
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

CharcoalCharger

I agree with some on here that NASCAR is now too over regulated.  I started watching NASCAR in 1984 and went to my first race at Darlington in 1985.  The racing in the 80's was some of the most exciting.   Dale Earnhardt had a lot to do with that.  The way the guys 'rubbed' back then was awesome.  Some of the things I saw Earnhardt do were unbelievable.  Kyle Busch is a bit like Earnhardt, but then this year I have only watch a few laps of 2 races.  Not really into it anymore.

A couple fond memories I have of going to Darlington in the mid 80's:
  At that time is was neat to see the street car versions of cars that they raced at the time.  The Monte Carlo SS is still a beautiful car.
  The other thing was a T-shirt I wish I would have gotten.  It was of a big, blue and yellow circle made to look like a tire mark.  A quote above it, "Guess who bumped into me?"   Earnhardt did a lot of that back then.   :2thumbs:

RallyeMike

QuoteSome of the things I saw Earnhardt do were unbelievable.

Some of the things I saw Earnhardt do get away with were unbelievable.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 07, 2012, 09:52:01 PM
I have no clue who would win , I don't even know the name of 90% of the drivers anymore !!
But I can bet that I would actually pay attention to the races & care who won again !!
I did care for a few weeks when Dodge re-entered Nascar but with cookie cutter cars , Restrictor plates & allowing Toyoda in I lose interest real fast .

Oh Lord.  Toyota even being in NASCAR is bad enough, but they race a Camry?   If you Google 'Cars Without Balls' a picture of a Toyota Camry comes up with a cute little old Asian lady driving it.    That's like AC/DC allowing Richard Simmons to play an accordion which he pelvic thrusts the whole show.  I'd stop listening fast.   Way to go NASCAR.  You just allowed Toyota to dry hump your metaphorical accordion into the ground.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

Mike DC

100% stock cars wouldn't even finish a decent length race.  NASCAR quit trying to be totally stock as soon as that became apparent in the 1940s.  

--------------------------------------------

I'd love to see a series with stock body panels (even if they're mostly tube-frames underneath) and minimal sponsor logos on the cars.  Maybe demand that the cars be painted with assembly-line color shades, and just allow the door numbers and some small fender stickers.  

IMHO the appearance of "we just pulled it out of the parking lot and raced it" would go a long way towards restoring credibility to the sport.  Even if people know the cars are still purpose-built, the visual would be very powerful.

Aero426

Quote from: CharcoalCharger on May 08, 2012, 08:17:22 PM
  The other thing was a T-shirt I wish I would have gotten.  It was of a big, blue and yellow circle made to look like a tire mark.  A quote above it, "Guess who bumped into me?"   Earnhardt did a lot of that back then.   :2thumbs:

Those shirts were only around for a couple of weeks.    They came out after the Richmond race in 1986 when DE put DW into the wall taking them both out.     

The actual quote was, "Guess who ran into me at the track today".     That was a great shirt.