News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 charger console lid hinge nuts.where to find them?

Started by RIDGERACER383, March 23, 2012, 02:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RIDGERACER383

I'm looking for the nuts and bolts that hold on the console door/lid.I know there a aluminum hollow nut but cant find them.And the hinge connecting to the console,are they screws or bolts..What size are they?
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

68neverlate

The "bolts" for the console door are just metal pertrusions that the nuts self thread to.  I had an issue with the nuts holding the door to the hinge... I decided to thread the metal pertrusions and attach the door with regular nuts (that matched the thread). 

It's not original, but the door does stay on tight...   :yesnod:

Something you may want to consider...

Brock Lee

I did the same thing. It is way better than the original way.

gtx6970

Pretty sure the Hinge to lower console body use a #8 sheetmetal screw

lid to hinge used an acorn nut like this, but they are simple , lightweight and cheap and not a style of nut known for it's longetivity

and I have NO idea where you can get them

Bob T

Mine were shot as well, the lid was just floating when I got it. A toolmaker mate of mine  (  carefully ) cut back the studs, which are not a generic normal type of thread and drilled and tapped the studs to 3mm. Then made up some 3mm to 3/16 studs and inserted and loctited them into the parent studs and I put on some 3/16 acorn ( closed type ) nuts.
It looks the part but now its there to stay, I reckon the open type nuts tend to loosen over time if they've been on & off a few times
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Fred

Quote from: 68neverlate on March 23, 2012, 03:03:40 PM
The "bolts" for the console door are just metal pertrusions that the nuts self thread to.  I had an issue with the nuts holding the door to the hinge... I decided to thread the metal pertrusions and attach the door with regular nuts (that matched the thread). 

It's not original, but the door does stay on tight...   :yesnod:

Something you may want to consider...

Quote from: Brock Lee on March 23, 2012, 04:20:22 PM
I did the same thing. It is way better than the original way.

Me too...........no more problems and no need to re adjust.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

histoy

If you're looking for the original acorn style nuts, you might try a company called Fastenal.  I've had good luck finding unusual hardware with them.

68blue

Went the threaded route after not finding the nuts, I have to agree it feels solid.

RIDGERACER383

Thanks alot guys...great info..now I can get my console lid on.
1968 Dodge Charger 383 4bbl / 8.75 Rear 3.55

Rockyrocco

You can find them at a truevallue hardware. They are called press nuts or push nuts. I was stoked to find them there. :2thumbs:

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."