News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Got "17 and "18 Torq-Thrust like wheels and the back's too small for the axle...

Started by elanmars, May 05, 2012, 05:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elanmars

I apologize for not knowing the right terminology but just tried to put the wheels on my ride, ones I bought from americanmuscle.com and the back of the rim, the center part is just slightly too small for the axle/center part.

Is there something I should look for when buying rims, is there a term for the issue I have? I figured I'd have no problem with a wheel that would fit a ford but live and learn....any help is appreciated. They're closed right now but I'll contact them and seeing if they have wheels with a bigger hole in the back.
1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

A383Wing

yer gonna have to contact them to figure out what to do....in the old days...I used to just grind out the center hole a bit to open it up...but that may not be viable on these expensive wheels

Bryan

71green go

The rims they sell are for Mustangs......even though the bolt pattern is the same
also another issue your going to have is the backspacing on those rims......they will be in to close to the springs..
You can buy spacers that will move the rim out and solve the "to small of a hole"....(that just dont sound right  :smilielol:)

search on here there was a guy that bought the same rims and he details what he did to use them...........me I had a set from a friend but didnt like the offset so I gave them back to him......

Good Luck......

elanmars

I tried to do a search for someone that would have these wheels but I'm coming up short...

anyway, thanks for the replies. This is what I get for trying to save a few bucks...should have just gone for the American Racing Torq-Thrust Ms...

HOWEVER, here's my dilemma-one of these photos of the 18x9 must be wrong, so how do I know which one is the deep dish one??

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Wheels/Brand/American-Racing/Product-Line/American-Racing-Torq-Thrust-M-Black-Wheels/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern/5-x-4-1-2-in/Wheel-Diameter/18-in/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Unless they only offer it on the 18x10 size....  :scratchchin:

elanmars

my only option right now is to get them machined out to fit...and that's what I'm going to do, just waiting for someone I know to have the time to do it!

71green go

Buy Wheel spacers!!!........they are cheap and will solve your problem I think!

dkn1997

Quote from: elanmars on May 17, 2012, 09:51:37 PM
my only option right now is to get them machined out to fit...and that's what I'm going to do, just waiting for someone I know to have the time to do it!

I'd hold off on that.  I bought a set of 18's for my charger and boy, what a mistake that was.  While I didn't have the center register issues you do, I did have a major problem:  Backspacing.  It's now called offset but either way, the more positive or higher the number of either backspace or offset, the closer the center of the wheel is to the outer lip.  the wheels I got were boyd's and were super cheap.  Unfortunately, they had about a 6" backspace... here's a pic.  I was going to get spacers but at the end of the day, a rim with a large positive offset doesn't have enough "dish" they don't look Deep.

rims with large positive offsets or 6" backspace on an 8" wide wheel are better suited for today's cars where the spindles/axles sit much closer to the outer edge of the car.  I refer to it as the "flat faced" look.  It's fine for a crown vic, but it's a steaming pile of poo on a muscle car.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

this is how it looked after I took a major beating reselling them and got properly sized wheels for my car:

RECHRGED

dkn1997

Quote from: elanmars on May 07, 2012, 08:23:04 PM

.....so how do I know which one is the deep dish one??

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Wheels/Brand/American-Racing/Product-Line/American-Racing-Torq-Thrust-M-Black-Wheels/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern/5-x-4-1-2-in/Wheel-Diameter/18-in/?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Unless they only offer it on the 18x10 size....  :scratchchin:

These are the wheel sizes from your link:

A) 18x9     6" BS                                           
B) 18x9     6.34" BS
C)18x10    6.5" BS
D)18x10   7.27"BS

Take your wheels C and D above.  Put tires on and mount them on the car and stand behind it.  The centers of both wheels will be in the exact same place.  they have to be because our cars were put together with a micrometer and every dimension is perfect lol.... but they will be very close.  However, wheel D's tires will be closer to the inside of the wheel well and farther from the outer wheel lip than wheel C.  But... even wheel C will not look that deep. 

Now this is just my opinion and I'm certainly not the expert, but years of digesting every big wheel thread I can get my hands on make me think a good rule of thumb on wheels for muscle era cars (mainly 68-70 chargers)  is don't have the backspace number be more than 1/2"-3/4" more than half the wheel width.  so... for a 9" wheel, I wouldn't go more than 5" or 5 1/4" BS, for 10" I'd try to stay at 5.5" or under.  If you get in the habit of thinking of backspace like this, it's easier to convert those numbers into mm of offset like a lot of vendors do now... If you are looking at a vendor listing offset only, 0 is half the rim width.  Then they list how much more or less than that number the wheel backspace is.  So.... I wouldn't want a wheel with more than a 13mm positive offset... that's even pushing it..  1 mm = .039" so multiply 13mm x.039" and you get . 507", add that to half of an 10" wheel and you end up with 5.507" backspace.

Like 'em or Hate 'em, Coys wheels seem to have good backspacing for 68-70 Chargers and plenty of other midsize muscle era cars.  I run Coys 18x9.5  with 5.5"BS rear and 17x8 w/4.5" BS front.

RECHRGED