News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what cam for mild 440 build?

Started by coxie1996, April 27, 2012, 02:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxie1996

so i have came to the point on finding a cam for my 440 build.
yes i realize i should of built it from my cam but it should work out.

440 .060 over with TWR six pack pistons
speed pro rings, seals, and bearings.
stock cast crank
stock rods/ stock valvetrain

heads ported/ polished
longtube headers
727 rebuilt with shift kit
gonna hav a 8 3/4 with 3:73's down the road..

want a nice thumping cam with good performance. will probably drive this car 2-3 days a week to school. im not familiar with the lift/duration on cams, still learnig haha but looking to spend between $100-160 on one. thanks  :2thumbs:

Chryco Psycho

well you may want to call Lunati & see what fits best , Probably a 60303 should work well . I assume you have an auto trans , stock converter ?

coxie1996

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on April 29, 2012, 09:58:26 AM
well you may want to call Lunati & see what fits best , Probably a 60303 should work well . I assume you have an auto trans , stock converter ?

yes sir, trans has shift kit, and stock converter for now

c00nhunterjoe

The stock converter will greatly limit you on your "thumping" cam. You will have to stay pretty small until you swap out to a looser converter

coxie1996

what converter u recomend? i just sold my mustang and selling parts so could prolly manage it if i can get one for under 200

Musicman

How about one that works with the cam that we don't have yet.

coxie1996

:shruggy: ............oops, dont hate, im young and still learning!

Cooter

Stick with the basic 3500 Stall and you'll be fine on the street. However, you will NEED a trans cooler installed. Don't fall victim and buy a cam because of sound alone. Too many cars today sound like Don Garlits Rail while idling, but run like granny's car when they step on it.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

coxie1996

is the 3500 stall stock? and i want performance and sound haha

c00nhunterjoe

You need to decide what you want out of the car before you pick the cam.
How much compression are you making?
Where do you want the powerband?
How high are you revving the engine?
How good do these ported heads flow?
Stock or bigger valves?
What exhaust are you going to be running?

You can have a cam ground for a lopey idle yet still make power where you want it. Keep in mind that if you are running power brakes with a lot of valve overlap, vaccum at idle will be hard to come by.

c00nhunterjoe

Converter stall is based on the dimensions of the converter vs you horsepower output. I can put a 10 inch converter behind my engine and it might stall at 3000, then put that same converter behind your engine and it might stall at 3500. A converter that stalls at 3500 behind a mild 440 is far from stock.

coxie1996

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 04, 2012, 09:35:33 PM
You need to decide what you want out of the car before you pick the cam.
How much compression are you making?
Where do you want the powerband?
How high are you revving the engine?
How good do these ported heads flow?
Stock or bigger valves?
What exhaust are you going to be running?

You can have a cam ground for a lopey idle yet still make power where you want it. Keep in mind that if you are running power brakes with a lot of valve overlap, vaccum at idle will be hard to come by.

10.5:1
revving prolly 6k ? not sure
flow great guys a pro haha
stock valves
longtubes, x pipe, spiral flow moroso mufflers, then out the rear before tires, 2.5" all the way

im new to engine building if u couldnt tell haha

bill440rt

I have a Voodoo 60303 per Ron (Firefighter's) recommendation. LOVE IT!!
Smooth sounding cam at idle, performs well when you mash it.

Also have a MP 484/284 cam in another car, rumpy sounding cam but a little tempermental, lots of dialing in with other things to get it to run where I wanted it to on the street.
Much better modern grind cams out there.

Like others have posted the rest of your combo needs to be matched to your cam.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

coxie1996

Quote from: bill440rt on May 05, 2012, 08:27:41 AM
I have a Voodoo 60303 per Ron (Firefighter's) recommendation. LOVE IT!!
Smooth sounding cam at idle, performs well when you mash it.

Also have a MP 484/284 cam in another car, rumpy sounding cam but a little tempermental, lots of dialing in with other things to get it to run where I wanted it to on the street.
Much better modern grind cams out there.

Like others have posted the rest of your combo needs to be matched to your cam.

if i got this ill have everything but TQ converter, and intake.. would it harm it if i used stock for a few months then swapped it?

Chryco Psycho

no it won't harm it it just may not perform very well until you get all the parts installed .
I would recommend something closer to a 2500 stall with the Lunati cam , at least that way you will not be going down the highway with the converter slipping .
You need to build a matched pacakge  so all thew parts have the same powerband , if the cam starts at 2200 rpm , you need a converter around 2500 & the intake should also work in the 2200- up range , everything has to work together to get the best results

coxie1996

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 05, 2012, 11:01:27 AM
no it won't harm it it just may not perform very well until you get all the parts installed .
I would recommend something closer to a 2500 stall with the Lunati cam , at least that way you will not be going down the highway with the converter slipping .
You need to build a matched pacakge  so all thew parts have the same powerband , if the cam starts at 2200 rpm , you need a converter around 2500 & the intake should also work in the 2200- up range , everything has to work together to get the best results
\
ive heard haha ill go ahead and buy it then go from there, thanks for the help guys!!

Brightyellow69rtse

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 09:12:15 PM
Stick with the basic 3500 Stall and you'll be fine on the street. However, you will NEED a trans cooler installed. Don't fall victim and buy a cam because of sound alone. Too many cars today sound like Don Garlits Rail while idling, but run like granny's car when they step on it.

spot on when i bought my camaro it already has one of those cams in the 350. the car dosent die at idle but it is very rough. i have almost nothing for vacuum for the brakes. i run a vac res. and that helps alot.  i hardly ever drive the car so its not a huge issue. it sounds crazy at idle but anything will destroy the car off the line.

correct me if im wrong guys but isnt that crazy lopey sound the engine misfiring?