News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anyone have problems installing repro door panels?

Started by sixpack_sid, April 17, 2012, 08:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I bought repro door panels for my 68 Charger from a guy on eBay. I waited 2 weeks for the panels to arrive. When I tried installing them, the holes didn't match up exactly, and it took well over 2 hrs to install the panels. When I finally got them on, I tried closing the door. The door will not close because the new door panel is hitting the kick panel. I tried shifting the panel towards the door opening, but the panel is hitting the door latch and I cannot move it. The latch will not open the door, cause the panel is in the way. Also, the panel is 1/8" longer than the trim on each side. Worst case scenario: I pull the panel, take off the upholstery and put a piece of metal or wood between the panel and vinyl and cut down the fiber board panel on each side.
Has anyone else run into this problem?
I need advice!
Thanks!
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Brock Lee

You have to make sure you get a brand name like Legendary or you are asking for trouble. I have helped guys with cheap eBay knockoffs that had all kinds of issues, Too thick material, holes misaligned, cheap elastics in the map pocket, inaccurate detail, the list goes on. I never had an issue installing Legendary or PUI door panels.

sixpack_sid

So how do I fix it? I would like to take off the vinyl and cut down the fiber board but I can only find 1/4 inch staples. They will go right through the board. Do you know where I can get smaller staples and a gun?
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bill440rt

Tell the guy you bought them from that they suck, & try to get your money back. Then get a good set from Legendary.  :yesnod:
Problem solved.  :cheers:

Sometimes trying to save a few bucks ends up costing you more & added frustration in the end.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

macca3441

Bill,
Do the ones from Legendary come with all the clips to attach?

Macca

Brock Lee

I had to buy my clips separate. They are not hard to find.

bill440rt

They do not come with clips. But they do have little "punch-out" squares on the back where the clips should be. They are perforated into the backing.
A little tedious, but I had no problems with fit.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixpack_sid

I was able to fit the door panels by shaving the kick panels a bit. Now the door will close. I did buy the "bullet" type clips and it was MUCH easier putting on the upper door panels. They fit right in.
Thanks for the replies! You're right, Bill440rt: Sometimes cheaper is NOT better!