News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Instrument cluster removal

Started by rlsbee, May 06, 2012, 10:59:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlsbee

Since my '68 Super Bee has the same dash as a charger, I thought I'd ask about removing the instrument cluster here. I have the read the extensive and very helpful post that started several years ago about cluster restoration.
The only reason that I'm doing this is to replace the Instrument Voltage Limiter. I was able to get the old one out but I cannot get the new one to seat all the way. Therefore I'm gonna pull the cluster before I break something.
The manual says to pull the speedometer cable. Mine seems to be really stuck. It appears to have a snap clip that needs to be lifted before pulling the cable. Any 'trick' to this?
Next step would be to find and remove three cable connectors. Light switch, Emergency flasher and windshield wiper?
Loosen the steering column. Is it really necessary to loosen lower support bolts at the firewall?
Loosen the upper support bolts.
Remove the bezel screws and pull the cluster forward. Will this be enough to get to the limiter? If not, remove the ammeter wires and completely remove the cluster.
I feel kinda like a newbie asking these kinds of questions but I figure it's always better to ask somebody who has done it before, Thanks for any and all help.

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!