News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drive or haul, how does your Charger get from point "A" to point "B"?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 03, 2012, 10:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drive or haul, how does your Charger get from point "A" to point "B"?

DRIVEN!
78 (90.7%)
Enclosed trailer
4 (4.7%)
Open trailer/hauler
3 (3.5%)
Contract hauler
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Bob T

I'm fortunate enough to be able to borrow a buddy's trailer for when I picked up the Charger from the import yard, got a lwb 4wd 94 Nissan Safari 4.2L t/d, its been on there a few times since, but I'm close to finishing the front end and taking it back to the centre for roadworthy inspection......Had a few sneaky drives around the surburb though, just testing it out  :D
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Chryco Psycho

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Aero426 on May 04, 2012, 03:30:03 PM
Some of these rigs looks like accidents waiting to happen.   (Undersized tow vehicle)

I agree!   I have towed with the following vehicles -

1999 Dodge Durango 4.7.  Not enough engine, frame support.  Towed with open trailer.  Would only tow short distances.

2001 Ford F150 Supercrew with open trailer.  Was ok but sometimes unstable with wind or hills.

2003 Ford Diesel Excursion - Tow king with enclosed trailer

2004 Chevy Avalanche 1500.   Too soft on the back

2006 Chevy Silverado Duramax.  Put 40k of good towing enclosed trailer.  The Excursion was more stable though.

I now have a 2010 F150 and will be doing a long haul tow this week.  I'm renting an open trailer and I still think the drive train will struggle.  Ford claims 10,000 capacity, but I'm not counting on this.

I understand people do what they have to do, BUT I have seen too many times that the tow vehicle is under rated for the duty, yet the driver is pushing it to the limit.

This is a great example.   I could only imagine if he had to hit the brakes going 60 MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5_T0JFMk84 

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Cooter

Quote from: Darkman on May 05, 2012, 08:22:54 AM

Most Aussie built cars are rated to tow over 5000 pounds. So not sure why Cooter is labelling my car as a POS as he clearly has no idea. Even though it is a GM (American company), so I see why it could be a POS, but I was designed, engineered and built in Australia so it is actually reliable  :icon_smile_big:

Trailers have brakes also to add to the stopping. When in an emergency the car will not stop as quickly, but neither will the pick up "trucks". That is why you drive to the conditions and capabilities of the vehicle.

Wasn't labling YOUR car, just little POS in general towing with too small of vehicle. Obviously, you believe the man. "Rating" of said towing. We Americans that are "Concerned with size", that actually work on newer cars/trucks that come in with the trannies blown out that "Towing package" on 'em too, know better..Cars weren't meant to be towing, but alas, people will do it.  I have no problem laughing at folks when I see cars shoved through  intersections with WAY too much in tow. "Here's your sign"....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I have always been fascinated by these, and want to own one (someday...)  :scratchchin:

1970Moparmann

Fred

Quote from: Cooter on May 06, 2012, 01:43:50 PM
Quote from: Darkman on May 05, 2012, 08:22:54 AM

Most Aussie built cars are rated to tow over 5000 pounds. So not sure why Cooter is labelling my car as a POS as he clearly has no idea. Even though it is a GM (American company), so I see why it could be a POS, but I was designed, engineered and built in Australia so it is actually reliable  :icon_smile_big:

Trailers have brakes also to add to the stopping. When in an emergency the car will not stop as quickly, but neither will the pick up "trucks". That is why you drive to the conditions and capabilities of the vehicle.

Wasn't labling YOUR car, just little POS in general towing with too small of vehicle. Obviously, you believe the man. "Rating" of said towing. We Americans that are "Concerned with size", that actually work on newer cars/trucks that come in with the trannies blown out that "Towing package" on 'em too, know better..Cars weren't meant to be towing, but alas, people will do it.  I have no problem laughing at folks when I see cars shoved through  intersections with WAY too much in tow. "Here's your sign"....

It scares me when  these cars towing horse floats, not because the trannie might blow but because firstly the tow bar is attched to nothing and secondly there's no chassis. An accident just witing to happen.
A friend of mine used to tow his boat and after about a year the  back doors wouldn't close properly and some time after that the back window actually fell out. The car was completely stretched out of alignment.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

RIDELIKEHELL

I would never tow a car trailer with my Ridgeline a small utility trailer yes but really that guy is nuts :lol:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Argos_Chargers

In 25 years and over 150,000 miles, there was only one time mine wasn't driven.  That was when it got put on a hook after an axle bearing exploded in the middle of nowhere.  If I can't drive it, I don't want it!
MoPar -- The only way to fly!

Kern Dog

I worked at a Chevy dealership in the 80s. A guy towed a full sized Blazer into the service drive with a Volvo station wagon and a 20 foot trailer. The Volvo had a manual trans too. Wacky!

1970Moparmann

Just for fun, see below.  This has been around for a while.  I always get a good laugh!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMrYUloMcA

Fred

:eek2:  I'm sure it's been tried many times. After all.................there's one born every minute!  :lol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

Quote from: Argos_Chargers on May 07, 2012, 03:10:10 PM
In 25 years and over 150,000 miles, there was only one time mine wasn't driven.  That was when it got put on a hook after an axle bearing exploded in the middle of nowhere.  If I can't drive it, I don't want it!

hey...I think I know that car...is it the car 2 digits off of my VIN number?

Bryan

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 06, 2012, 01:38:55 PM
Some of these rigs looks like accidents waiting to happen.   (Undersized tow vehicle)

I now have a 2010 F150 and will be doing a long haul tow this week.  I'm renting an open trailer and I still think the drive train will struggle.  Ford claims 10,000 capacity, but I'm not counting on this.

Loaded it up tonight and not looking forward to a 10 hour drive tomorrow with this like it is.  I am shocked how much the ass sags on this truck.   I would guess I'm at 6,000 pounds now, and couldn't imagine putting on another 2k even though the truck is "rated" for 10k.

A383Wing

Isn't the "rating" capacity the total combined weight of truck and payload or trailer?

Bryan

1970Moparmann

Quote from: A383Wing on May 08, 2012, 09:39:42 PM
Isn't the "rating" capacity the total combined weight of truck and payload or trailer?

Bryan

Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight (Lbs.) – Automatic Transmission

bill440rt

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 08, 2012, 08:13:52 PM
Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 06, 2012, 01:38:55 PM

Loaded it up tonight and not looking forward to a 10 hour drive tomorrow with this like it is.  I am shocked how much the ass sags on this truck.   I would guess I'm at 6,000 pounds now, and couldn't imagine putting on another 2k even though the truck is "rated" for 10k.

Do yourself a favor & consider investing in a weight distribution hitch. It will help distribute the tongue weight more evenly & help immensely with the sag.  :yesnod:
Check out my previous post with a pic of my 1500 Ram with an enclosed trailer. The truck has nearly the exact same capacity as my old 2500 Ram, however it has much less payload capacity due to the "softer" coil spring rear suspension so it has a tendency to sag. The weight distribution hitch helps a LOT, the truck & trailer sit very level. I even used it with my old 2500 as well. Also greatly reduces the up & down "floating" effect.
I've seen others install towing rear suspension air bags to also assist with load capacity, although I am skeptical as I just have a hunch it is a "crutch" (could be completely wrong, though). BTW, new for '13 is optional rear assisted air bag suspension on Rams!  :yesnod:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

resq302

I agree.  Dad and I got the weight distribution system and were completely amazed at how it not only leveled out the truck and trailer but also improved on the ride.  We had more steering control and did not feel like every bump we hit that the front wheels would come off the ground.  One other thing to check is your break away trailer brake battery!!!!!!  Newer ones have a built in test indicator on them to tell you how the charge is on the battery.  Ours did not so we ended up "upgrading" and installed a regular small 12 volt car batter on the tongue area of the trailer by the box.  This also allows us to use our winch and other accessories inside the trailer and we know we can externally charge it up also.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bill440rt on May 08, 2012, 10:10:30 PM
Do yourself a favor & consider investing in a weight distribution hitch. It will help distribute the tongue weight more evenly & help immensely with the sag.  :yesnod:
Check out my previous post with a pic of my 1500 Ram with an enclosed trailer. The truck has nearly the exact same capacity as my old 2500 Ram, however it has much less payload capacity due to the "softer" coil spring rear suspension so it has a tendency to sag. The weight distribution hitch helps a LOT, the truck & trailer sit very level. I even used it with my old 2500 as well. Also greatly reduces the up & down "floating" effect.
I've seen others install towing rear suspension air bags to also assist with load capacity, although I am skeptical as I just have a hunch it is a "crutch" (could be completely wrong, though). BTW, new for '13 is optional rear assisted air bag suspension on Rams!  :yesnod:

+1

That is a sorry looking tow vehicle w/ the rear squatting! Sorry to say, and I like - and tow with Fords  :Twocents:

Get the weight distributing hitch, before you wreck!  :slap:

Aero426

The weight distributing hitch will fix that squat on the F150.    My buddy has one and we have pulled a 24' enclosed with it and no problems.    Also, just a little bit of squat on the back is OK.   You do want to have some tongue weight. 

1970Moparmann

That will be next on the list!  .Smoke and mirrors in my book.

Worst part of an open trailer is blowing a tire.  Left a nice mark on the side of the car. :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

Bill440RT, what size enclosed do you tow with? 

bill440rt

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on May 10, 2012, 08:41:08 AM
That will be next on the list!  .Smoke and mirrors in my book.

Worst part of an open trailer is blowing a tire.  Left a nice mark on the side of the car. :RantExplode: :RantExplode:

Bill440RT, what size enclosed do you tow with? 

My trailer is a 24-ft Wells Cargo, wide-body.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

69 OUR/TEA

I can't see needing a weight dist hitch for towing an open trailor,at least I never have on any of my trucks,including my current 04 half ton Hemi Ram.Enclosed,without a doubt !!!!!!I do however use a sway control on either,love the way that it keeps everything stable.
IMO,that Ford is squating because that green Charger is alittle to far forward on that open trailor,bring it back some and it would be fine.
Anyone that tows has to "look" at the placement of the car wether it's on an open or in an enclosed to see the sweet spot of tongue weight for the truck doing the towing.You don't want to much and certainly don't want to "lift"the back of the truck,that to could be real dangerous,I.E.,never tow a car on a trailor put on backwards,IMO.
NTM,when using a weight dist hitch,don't crank the death out of the bars,you don't want when you hit a dip in the road or highway and instantly take alot of weight off the back of the truck,that to can be pretty dangerous.
I have a 24' enclosed trailor that I tow with my 04 QC Ram,being a half ton,when I bought it I got a trailor that has 5K lb. axles ,so it has 12'' brakes,so that the truck should just be worrying about stopping it self and the trailor stopping itself and the contents inside it,wanted to make sure enough stopping power came from it and did'nt pass any along to my truck,as it is a half ton.As I said,weight dist on that,without  question !

NTM,any time you're towing anything,open or enclosed,you should be alittle more attentive than usual to be  ready to react  alittle quicker in situations.How many of you towing something have been going down the road,see a car waiting to  pull out from a side street,know they've seen you and can tell they just don't want to be behind you,and they rush out to get in front of you,A-holes !!!!

resq302

Or have someone cut in line right in front of you at a toll booth!  I thought we were going to have a new hood ornament on our truck.  We locked the trailer brakes up and came about within 2 inches of slamming into the back of the dumb ass who cut in front of us.  All because they wanted to get into a shorter line.

Our 24' enclosed Pace American trailer has the 5000 lb T-3 axles so they have the torsion bar suspension and no springs which makes for a VERY smooth ride.  Both axles have brakes on them also and before and after each trip, we grease up the hubs since they have the grease fitting in the center part of the hub.  We also have the tire covers to keep them out of the damaging UV from the sun to help prevent the dreaded dry rot.  Since ours is a 2000 model, we upgraded the lights to LED's so they are little bit brighter and we also rigged up a back up camera and back up lights which the camera comes in real handy when trying to switch lanes.  You can see behind you and to the sides to see if there is anyone in a blind spot.  Plus it also helps backing up the trailer too when you get to a tight spot.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto