News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drive or haul, how does your Charger get from point "A" to point "B"?

Started by XS29L9Bxxxxxx, May 03, 2012, 10:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drive or haul, how does your Charger get from point "A" to point "B"?

DRIVEN!
78 (90.7%)
Enclosed trailer
4 (4.7%)
Open trailer/hauler
3 (3.5%)
Contract hauler
1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 86

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

My favorite trailers, are U-Haul rentals. For $50.00/day local, you get a trailer which is somewhat maintained, has over-tire straps, and easy to pull.

Heavy as all, it is one solid trailer!!!

68neverlate

Quote from: Fred on May 04, 2012, 01:52:42 AM
Mine's a toy to be enjoyed so it's drive only. :2thumbs:

Half the fun is the trip there... DRIVE, baby, DRIVE!!      :2thumbs:

hemigeno

Depends on the circumstances and which car.

With my R/T, I'd drive it to a car show within an hour of home, and have done so frequently.  If it's much longer than that, I'd prefer to trailer it - especially since the trailer and truck are available.  When I last had this car at Carlisle I trailered it from MO to PA, but one afternoon Troy and I had a blast driving it around the Pennsylvania back roads (or at least I did) -- even with the rainstorm that flushed us off the showgrounds that day.  14-15 hours one way is just too long of a trip for me to drive an unairconditioned, black vinyl interior car across the country in July.

Right now, the Daytona is relegated to trailer queen status when heading to a car show, although it's only been to one (forget the fact it's not even driveable at the moment).  I'm hopeful that it won't always be that way, but for now that's the sad reality until at least next year.

hemigeno

Here's my other regular method of hauling:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Aero426

Some of these rigs looks like accidents waiting to happen.   (Undersized tow vehicle)

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Not undersized for the cars I haul, this is also my wife's daily driver...   :drool5:

moparstuart

allen has a great old race hauler
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

cdr

yep im cool :coolgleamA: i drive mine,about 20' at a time,from front of garage to rear of garage it runs but dont stop to good lol
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dans 68

Driven, even with two flat tires in a 60 minute span....   :brickwall:   ;)

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

resq302

It all depends on the distance of the show.  If it is anything more than 2-3 hours, I typically trailer it.  If it is a concours type show, and I have to put my bias ply repro tires on, I try to trailer it.  However, any opportunity that I have, if I can drive the charger there, I will.  Nothing beats the feeling of driving the charger and having all the thumbs up and people that I talk to when I drive the car places.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Rolling_Thunder

Mine will never be on a trailer except for mechanical failures. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

myk

"Thou shall not put a road-worthy Charger on a trailer EVER" was one of the Commandments that was accidentally left off of the tablets.  Moses tried to say something but he was in a hurry to get back to the orgy.  True story guys...

bill440rt

Quote from: hemigeno on May 04, 2012, 02:47:38 PM
Depends on the circumstances and which car.

With my R/T, I'd drive it to a car show within an hour of home, and have done so frequently.  If it's much longer than that, I'd prefer to trailer it - especially since the trailer and truck are available.  

My thoughts as well, Geno.  :cheers:
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE to drive my cars. I've driven to several shows that were over an hour away, but typically if I'm going out of state or if the show is over a several day time period I will trailer it there.

Some of the aforementioned pictures are downright scary when it comes to trailering. I've seen SCARY trailering accidents out there, and witnessed firsthand. Never exceed the limits of your tow vehicle!! Sure, a smaller vehicle might PULL a trailer, but when it comes to panic stops or even handling it could be very dangerous.

As for tie down systems I used to use the "D"-rings in the floor with tie downs wrapped around the lower control arms or K-frame & axle straps for the rear. I've since installed an "E"-track system using tire wraps, which works VERY well. Much easier & faster to tie the car down now, beats crawling around on the floor trying to get under the car to tie it down.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Cooter

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 04, 2012, 04:19:40 PM
I like this one - in a word, amazing!  :drool5:

That thing belongs to a guy named Ed Wilson here in Lynchburg Va. Typical, long time, flipper who has bought cars from underneath me and about 10 buddies because he's made a living off buying and flipping old Mopars. Sure, it shouldn't be an issue, but like Taxes, it seems to be with people like me.

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

UH60L

I drove mine home from Utah to oregon when I bought it off of e-bay.  It's been on a trailer/tow truck 4 times since then....twice after a small incident that arose due to not tightenning down the mopar adapter on the side of the carb......stuck throttle and a spin a 35 mph ending in a bent rear axle and even more bent left rear wheel   :brickwall:   .....and to and from the body shop.

My goal is to get it put back togeather and drive it away from my driveway to break in the engine. 

My car is a mutt and though I'll take good care of it and baby it, I won't ever intentionally trailer it unless it's an emergency.

Driving it is way more fun.

Sublime/Sixpack

Mine gets driven, unless I enter it in a show where it will be on display for a few days (such as the yearly AutoRama) then it simply makes sense to trailer it, drop it off, then drive the truck and trailer home.
I prefer to see owners drive their cars but if they chose to trailer them so be it. No big deal.
1970 Sublime R/T, 440 Six Pack, Four speed, Super Track Pak

A383Wing

none of my cars have ever been trailered...all have always been driven on their own power from "A" to  "B"

Bryan

RallyeMike

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Tjader

I drive mine all the time. Since I live in Sweden it's in the garage from late september to early april, but the rest of the time I use it as much as possible! I'm a big fan of really driving old enthusiast cars. Here in Sweden there are a lot of such cars hidden away in garages all over the country and people never get to see them on the roads, and I hate that! It's a shame in my opinion.... drive it or sell it :Twocents:. I also like the adventure of driving my charger (or any other old, cool car) for longer trips, it's fun and you never know what will happen... :icon_smile_big:.Unfortunally the gas prices are a big downside to it all, but there are other things in my life I can downsize to afford it. :2thumbs:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 08:37:59 PM
Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on May 04, 2012, 04:19:40 PM
I like this one - in a word, amazing!  :drool5:

That thing belongs to a guy named Ed Wilson here in Lynchburg Va. Typical, long time, flipper who has bought cars from underneath me and about 10 buddies because he's made a living off buying and flipping old Mopars. Sure, it shouldn't be an issue, but like Taxes, it seems to be with people like me.

Well, at least with that truck, he's flipping in style  :scratchchin: Not that I agree with flipping...  :Twocents:

Darkman

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 11:24:59 AM
Sure, you don't NEED a big truck to tow a car on a trailer as long as you don't mind blowing the trans out of that little POS when it happens. Trucks are built for it. Cars are NOT. Tried that sh*t with my "Half-a-truck", mini truck and the trailer and car was pushing me down the highway at stops. Bigger IS better when it comes to keeping a trans in your tow vehicle and stopping Sometimes TRIPLE what your brakes were designed for.

Most Aussie built cars are rated to tow over 5000 pounds. So not sure why Cooter is labelling my car as a POS as he clearly has no idea. Even though it is a GM (American company), so I see why it could be a POS, but I was designed, engineered and built in Australia so it is actually reliable  :icon_smile_big:

Trailers have brakes also to add to the stopping. When in an emergency the car will not stop as quickly, but neither will the pick up "trucks". That is why you drive to the conditions and capabilities of the vehicle.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

AKcharger

We put 10K miles on my '70 after restoration going to car shows, including a 3K mile trip VA-KS-VA for a charger show

Supercharged Riot

My car is supposed to be street driven.....its just a little street challenged right now