News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A very angry sea

Started by Fred, May 02, 2012, 08:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Just had this clip emailed to me and it took me back to a time when I spent 6 years at sea. I experienced these sort of conditions often.  The boats you see here a lucky, they hit the waves head on. Some of the tankers I've been on haven't been so fortunate and were battered side on and you could literally here the steel cracking. In some cases we were lucky to make it to Port in one piece.
Good times, saw the world many times over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=T4FIS1FnOQg

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Rolling_Thunder

DAAAMMMNNNNN    That destroyer is taking some hard punishment...     That's why I'm going Air Force or Army Airborne...    no sea duty for me. 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TheGhost

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 03, 2012, 07:56:00 PM
DAAAMMMNNNNN    That destroyer is taking some hard punishment...     That's why I'm going Air Force or Army Airborne...    no sea duty for me. 

So, instead of sailing on a boat, you'll jump out of an airplane?
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: TheGhost on May 03, 2012, 08:28:55 PM
Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 03, 2012, 07:56:00 PM

So, instead of sailing on a boat, you'll jump out of an airplane?

Rgr tht...       different strokes I guess

AKcharger

Charger_Dart

Wow, that brought some memories.  :rotz:  I was on a guided missile cruiser years ago in the north atlantic in some very rough seas. Its something when the bow of the ship disappears and you hear the props take off in the stern, then everything shakes and the bow launches out of the ocean, only to do it all over again. Its a real rough ride, let me tell ya. 
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

ChgrSteve67

I will jump out of a plane or helicopter any day over that crap. (Actually its lots of fun even with 100+ pounds of crap hanging off you)
I have been out in the middle of the Ocean sea sick on a fishing boat doing that crap and it just never stops. First you feed the fish, then you get dehydrated and then it gets worse from there.
I will take a broken leg over going through that ever again.

Also would you rather die hitting the ground at 100+ or drowning?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on May 04, 2012, 04:03:25 PM

Don't forget -  you only have one boat...    you always have a reserve chute  :2thumbs:

Bob T

Good clip Fred. I've crewed on a couple of Coastal Classic Auckland to Bay of Islands yacht race, but I wounld'nt like to be out in seas like that.
My sister was a cook/deckie on prawn trawlers out of Cairns for years, made some good dough but had some bad weather stoies to go with it. The last one she was on over here snagged the net and went under, they had to throw the raft over and jump after it, skipper grabbed the epirb. Fortunately the signal got picked up by a commercial airplane and they got the rescue chopper out for a 160km ride back to Wellington. She decided to give it up after that one
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Fred

Quote from: ChgrSteve67 on May 04, 2012, 04:03:25 PM
I will jump out of a plane or helicopter any day over that crap. (Actually its lots of fun even with 100+ pounds of crap hanging off you)
I have been out in the middle of the Ocean sea sick on a fishing boat doing that crap and it just never stops. First you feed the fish, then you get dehydrated and then it gets worse from there.
I will take a broken leg over going through that ever again.

Well the thought of falling to the ground knowing you're going to hit hard doesn't appeal all that much. With drowning you're already in the water and all you do is sink.
I can honestly say in all my 6 years at sea (on cargo ships and tankers) I never experienced a single day of sea sickness.
The sea is a mesmerising thing and once hooked it's hard to let go.

Fred

Quote from: Bob T on May 04, 2012, 05:10:12 PM
Good clip Fred. I've crewed on a couple of Coastal Classic Auckland to Bay of Islands yacht race, but I wounld'nt like to be out in seas like that.
My sister was a cook/deckie on prawn trawlers out of Cairns for years, made some good dough but had some bad weather stoies to go with it. The last one she was on over here snagged the net and went under, they had to throw the raft over and jump after it, skipper grabbed the epirb. Fortunately the signal got picked up by a commercial airplane and they got the rescue chopper out for a 160km ride back to Wellington. She decided to give it up after that one

Thanks BobT, Yes money was good and easy to save as there was nothing to spend it on at sea. Mind you, the temptation was there when we hit port and the girls were aplenty especially those latinos in Rio and Sao Paulo.
Glad to hear all ended well with your sister. Had a very close call myself on a fully loaded tanker in the Atlantic going from Venezuela to Le Havre, France. Seas were furious and after we docked we noticed the cracks in the hull. Lucky she didn't break up out in the middle of nowhere.

myk

Ain't nothing wrong with jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.  Haven't any of you guys ever gone sky diving before?  You've never really felt alive until you've been dropped from 14000 feet in the air.  As a matter of fact, I should probably go again and renew my man-card.

Awesome clip btw; it's horrifying to see mother nature periodically remind us who's truly in charge of this planet on such a scale...

Rolling_Thunder

My friend is HALO qualified in the USAF...    He says jumping at 35,000 feet will make you find God real quick   :lol:   He's also afraid of heights...    not sure how he works that one out.   

Bob T

Quote from: myk on May 05, 2012, 06:34:51 PM
Ain't nothing wrong with jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.  Haven't any of you guys ever gone sky diving before?  You've never really felt alive until you've been dropped from 14000 feet in the air.  As a matter of fact, I should probably go again and renew my man-card.

Yep, I've done 3 jumps from 3000ft on a static line, the second one was the best, landed right on the X, third was fun with manouvres
The first one was scary, the lines were in a huge tangle and I had to stretch them apart and kick like a wildman in a big circle to get them straight before I could get any control out of it. Had to fight the panic down and remember the training, nearly went for the reserve chute before the lines came out straight.
What a beautiful feeling when it came right  :lol:  ...I knew the envelope got pushed out a long way that day.
Flipped my old raceboat and got spat out once too, that really hurt. But I'd get back in the boat before I jumped out of another plane though.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.