News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trick to installing converter on shaft?

Started by grdprx, May 02, 2012, 09:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 09:13:59 PM
Make sure you have the correct torque converter spline count...Early 727's(1965-early 1966) had a different spline count than the later ones.

Good idea, I just checked; there are 27 splines on both the converter and trans..  Thanks

Has anyone has experience with Dynamic torque converters?  Maybe they screwed up, not having the bevel in there for the outer spline.

grdprx

Well, I called Dynamic converters today. They said to stand the trans up in a 35 gallon drum, try and install that way.

oldkimmer

................I had this happen last fall........the converter hub was too big to slide into the pump bushing ..........measure the hub to see if its within tolerance.....1st 1 in 30 years....kim.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grdprx

Quote from: grdprx on May 04, 2012, 10:44:45 PM
Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 09:13:59 PM
Make sure you have the correct torque converter spline count...Early 727's(1965-early 1966) had a different spline count than the later ones.

Good idea, I just checked; there are 27 splines on both the converter and trans..  Thanks

Has anyone has experience with Dynamic torque converters?  Maybe they screwed up, not having the bevel in there for the outer spline.

OK, I counted the outer splines previously, the smaller shaft has 19 splines.   :brickwall:  Looking at the case, there is a big 65 with some other numbers on the bell housing and tail housing.  Looks like I've got a Early 727.

I saw mention somewhere on here about converting it to a 24 spline?  How do you do that?

John_Kunkel

To convert a '62-'66 19-spline to 24-spline you need to replace both the input shaft and reaction shaft support with parts from a '67-'77.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.