News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust Bolts on a 68 440 head, Are they all the same length?

Started by 68 Chris, May 07, 2012, 03:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68 Chris

I have a 68 440 having the heads reconditioned. It has one exhaust thread bolt that is longer on each of them. Located on the end. Is this correct? Some people say their bolts are all the same length and some say they have the longer bolt. I'm confused, can anyone help me with this one?

Chris

Chryco Psycho

The studs in the head are generally the same length . The factory length studs can be hard to find so some of the replacements may be a bit longer , there are  bolts that bolt the manifolds to the head , most have nuts , there are 3 long shouldered bolts that are used to hold the manifolds on .

BSB67

The one on the end for #1 cylinder is longer, at least on some.  I cannot remember why.....maybe AC :shruggy:

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

A383Wing

Quote from: BSB67 on May 07, 2012, 04:59:09 PM
The one on the end for #1 cylinder is longer, at least on some.  I cannot remember why.....maybe AC :shruggy:

yes...that stud is longer if you have factory AC

the manifold "nuts" as they are called are different length..at least on mine...2 are longer on the passenger side, and there is a shorter one on the drivers side

Bryan

68 Chris

Ok,  So I just talked to the guy that sold me the car and he told me this is factory. Bryan, this motor had AC at some point? And when you say two longer ones on the passenger side you mean the two end ones correct? The one up front by the first cylinder and the  other end which is covered by a tube bolt. Right? I'm pretty sure that's the two on the passenger side that were longer. Your help is much appreciated.

Chris

68 Chris

Quote from: A383Wing on May 07, 2012, 08:48:40 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on May 07, 2012, 04:59:09 PM

yes...that stud is longer if you have factory AC

the manifold "nuts" as they are called are different length..at least on mine...2 are longer on the passenger side, and there is a shorter one on the drivers side

Bryan

Bryan, On the passanger side your are talking about the two end bolts correct? The one on either end are both longer? First and last piston?

A383Wing

the first stud on the drivers side is longer than the rest....this stud holds one of the AC brackets

Bryan

68 Chris

Quote from: A383Wing on May 08, 2012, 12:05:49 AM
the first stud on the drivers side is longer than the rest....this stud holds one of the AC brackets

Bryan

What about the passenger side?

A383Wing

studs are all the same length on the passenger side

The only "stud" that is different is the drivers front one if car has factory AC

Bryan

68 Chris

Thanks for the help that makes perfect sense. I'll run with it.

:cheers: