News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trick to installing converter on shaft?

Started by grdprx, May 02, 2012, 09:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grdprx

I'm having issues I think. I tried for an hour this morning to set the torque converter, but it's about 1/4 inch outside the trans case. Looks like it needs to be about 1/2 inside to bolt up properly to the flex plate. I got a flashlight to check the position of the transmission pump, heck I even stood the tranny up on the tail shaft hoping gravity would do the job!  Arg  :brickwall:  I didn't think it was this hard.

ACUDANUT

Re-check the position of the transmission pump and keep trying.  It's a pain

Chryco Psycho

just bump it in & out about 1/4" & keep rotating it as you bump it , you will find the right spot

Cooter

No trick, just patience. What Chryco said.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

grdprx

FLG

Just a reminder,

Make sure you put oil in it  :2thumbs:

grdprx

ACUDANUT

Do not put oil in it. It takes Trans fluid

Finn

It can be a major b***h. I tried this on a FWD car but I would assume it works for RWD too:
Jack the car up and place on jack-stands. Put it in gear and have a buddy turn the back wheels while you work the convertor in and out. This takes the rotating of the convertor out of your job. Also, find something to go over the studs on the convertor that will help you get a hold of it. I used angle iron.

Previously I had tried doing the rotating and pushing in/out all by myself but after several hours I hadn't gotten anywhere. Tried that trick and got it in 5 minutes.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

FLG

Quote from: ACUDANUT on May 02, 2012, 03:03:54 PM
Do not put oil in it. It takes Trans fluid

Im pretty sure he knows i was referring to transmission oil/fluid  :coolgleamA:

oldkimmer

.................Here's the trick.................with a small screw driver turn the pump lugs to the 6 and 12 o'clock positions.........kim............
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grdprx

Yes, tranny fluid is the oil I used. So I'm taking another crack at it. I've been lining up the pump, I put a little trans lube on it to see if that's help slicken things up. Well, all that showed me is that I'm not engaging the outer spline. The lube hasn't been disturbed. What a PITA.

Rolling_Thunder

Just swap in a  4-speed....     problem solved
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

375instroke

I just spin it and push it up and in.  Never had a problem.

grdprx

Back N Black

Cooter

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on May 02, 2012, 10:15:56 PM
Just swap in a  4-speed....     problem solved
:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: Oh my, those splines on the input shaft would be a PITA then....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

Put the 4-speed trans in gear, use your nifty spare driveshaft yoke and turn the output shaft / turning the input shaft thusly for it to align with the clutch disc splines....     I've never had to do that...    I usually just manhandle it and yell, cuss, and talk dirty to it...    then it usually slides right in.   :D

375instroke

How does the input shaft turn from the output shaft if there is no pressure to apply the clutches or bands?

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: 375instroke on May 03, 2012, 03:53:00 PM
How does the input shaft turn from the output shaft if there is no pressure to apply the clutches or bands?

I was referring to a 4-speed -- sorry about the confusion  (edited above)

John_Kunkel

As an absolute last ditch technique, turn the trans straight up resting on its tailshaft and drop the converter in using a couple of long bolts in the drive lugs...turn slowly the converter while alternately raising and lowering it until it falls all the way in.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

b5blue

Don't do what I did! I climbed in the engine bay set the convertor on the shaft, spun the convertor while pushing in and slammed the convertor in so hard I cracked the tabs. I unknowingly went on to install the engine do all finishing procedures. On my first test drive got about a mile before they let loose and left me stranded on the side of a 6 lane highway during rush hour. Be careful!  :eyes:

grdprx

I discovered why I'm having so much trouble. The outer gear in the converter is not beveled like in the stock converter I took off!  I also checked the inside diameter with 1/2" sockets, just for comparison. I can fit a 15/16 in both converters with a little wiggle room. A 1" socket does not fit either, so I guess I'm going to just have to get lucky with this thing.

Cooter

Make sure you have the correct torque converter spline count...Early 727's(1965-early 1966) had a different spline count than the later ones.

wrench

yea, somethings wrong. they can be tricky to install but not that much. wrong converter or ??

grdprx

Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 09:13:59 PM
Make sure you have the correct torque converter spline count...Early 727's(1965-early 1966) had a different spline count than the later ones.

Good idea, I just checked; there are 27 splines on both the converter and trans..  Thanks

Has anyone has experience with Dynamic torque converters?  Maybe they screwed up, not having the bevel in there for the outer spline.

grdprx

Well, I called Dynamic converters today. They said to stand the trans up in a 35 gallon drum, try and install that way.

oldkimmer

................I had this happen last fall........the converter hub was too big to slide into the pump bushing ..........measure the hub to see if its within tolerance.....1st 1 in 30 years....kim.........
Back in the good old days 1968 charger rt 440 magnum . 1968  charger 383 magnum. The Beast has been Unleashed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grdprx

Quote from: grdprx on May 04, 2012, 10:44:45 PM
Quote from: Cooter on May 04, 2012, 09:13:59 PM

Good idea, I just checked; there are 27 splines on both the converter and trans..  Thanks

Has anyone has experience with Dynamic torque converters?  Maybe they screwed up, not having the bevel in there for the outer spline.

OK, I counted the outer splines previously, the smaller shaft has 19 splines.   :brickwall:  Looking at the case, there is a big 65 with some other numbers on the bell housing and tail housing.  Looks like I've got a Early 727.

I saw mention somewhere on here about converting it to a 24 spline?  How do you do that?

John_Kunkel

To convert a '62-'66 19-spline to 24-spline you need to replace both the input shaft and reaction shaft support with parts from a '67-'77.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.