News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD Blaster coil ok to use with MP orange box?

Started by bull, May 01, 2012, 07:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Just wondering. Seems like these places like to pair their stuff up with their own coils so I'm hoping this combo I have in mind won't let any smoke out.

Ghoste

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Ghoste on May 01, 2012, 07:21:40 PM
I did it with mine.

As did I....Painted her semi gloss & added a coil decal From ECS....dont tell OK?

;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chryco Psycho

if you are mounting the coil horizontally use the Blaster Vibration coil , the regular blasters leak oil mounted horizontally

myk

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 07:27:40 AM
if you are mounting the coil horizontally use the Blaster Vibration coil , the regular blasters leak oil mounted horizontally

:o  Oops!  Lol!

In any case, I ran the orange box with blaster coil for years with no issues other than...leaking oil from the coil I guess... ::)

Ghoste

Too late here too, if mine is leaking it has to be about empty by now, lol.  Going to watch for that now though.

Troy

I've had that setup in my previous Charger R/T and now in my Challenger.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Chryco Psycho

I have unplugged the coil wire on a few of the blaster & found the rubber boot full of oil out of the coil

Nacho-RT74

never have got that... true I used to use an old Blaster coil, which is slightly smaller diameter than newer units. You can notice JUST when changing from an old unit to a newer unit, needing to unscrew the adjusting mount screw.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

bull

That's the one I have... and it's already black. :2thumbs: Hey Chris, do you have a link for that decal?

Ghoste

Brass

I think you have to change the ballast resistor.  MSD should be able to confirm that.  I'd double check with them to be on the safe side and see what resistance the coil needs.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on May 02, 2012, 04:19:30 PM
http://www.ecsautomotive.com/productdesc.php?co=c&id=72

They are recent members here too.

Well, I guess I'll be leaving it blank. Their date range does me no good since they only cover early 1969 to late 1971.  :rotz:

Quote from: Brass on May 02, 2012, 05:38:40 PM
I think you have to change the ballast resistor.  MSD should be able to confirm that.  I'd double check with them to be on the safe side and see what resistance the coil needs.

I'll send them an email. :2thumbs:

Ghoste

I think it may less a case of what it needs versus what it can take advantage of but checking with them would still be a good idea.

bull

My M&H harness has the four prong ballast plugs. How are the four prong resistors different (other than the obvious)?

Chryco Psycho

the second side of the ballast reduces voltage to the ECU , unless you use an ECU from 72-75 it doesn't use the 5th pin with the reduced voltage so all you need is a single ballast between the blue & brown wires , the green wire to the ecu is not used

bull

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 03, 2012, 10:23:23 PM
the second side of the ballast reduces voltage to the ECU , unless you use an ECU from 72-75 it doesn't use the 5th pin with the reduced voltage so all you need is a single ballast between the blue & brown wires , the green wire to the ecu is not used

I've got the four pin ECU and plug. Not sure why the harness came with a 4-spade resistor plug but I guess I'll just plug it in anyway. Sounds like it won't do anything other than look official.

Fred

Quote from: bull on May 04, 2012, 02:45:06 AM
Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 03, 2012, 10:23:23 PM

I've got the four pin ECU and plug. Not sure why the harness came with a 4-spade resistor plug but I guess I'll just plug it in anyway. Sounds like it won't do anything other than look official.

I've also got the four pin ECU and plug. I just plugged it in. Doesn't do anything but it looks good.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

oestermarken

I don't think you would want to use the dual resistor, IRC the primary side of that resistor is 1.2 or 1.5 ohm and  you will get to low voltage to the coil. The 69 Super Bee I did with a M&H harness, I removed the terminals from the dual connectors and mounted them in the single connectors from the original harness and reused the original 0,8 ohm resistor.

/Brian
69 383 4bbl
White Hat Special
Light Bronze Metallic

bull

Quote from: oestermarken on May 04, 2012, 03:32:54 AM
I don't think you would want to use the dual resistor, IRC the primary side of that resistor is 1.2 or 1.5 ohm and  you will get to low voltage to the coil. The 69 Super Bee I did with a M&H harness, I removed the terminals from the dual connectors and mounted them in the single connectors from the original harness and reused the original 0,8 ohm resistor.

/Brian

Actually, I was wrong about my M&H plug. It does have five contacts but obviously the fifth won't be doing anything since the ECM has only four. Anyway, another thing I could do is gut the resistor on that side and run a straight wire for no resistance. Or similar to what you did, eliminate the terminals on that side of the four-prong resistor so it's not doing anything. Guess I should have gotten the two-prong resistor but I didn't know at the time.

ChargerST

I did read about using the Blaster 2 coil with an orange box and most people use a .25 ohm ballast. that way the coil gets a constant 12V - 12V while starting from the battery and when running the ballast reduces the 14V from the alt to around 12V.

bull

Quote from: ChargerST on May 06, 2012, 09:25:24 AM
I did read about using the Blaster 2 coil with an orange box and most people use a .25 ohm ballast. that way the coil gets a constant 12V - 12V while starting from the battery and when running the ballast reduces the 14V from the alt to around 12V.

:2thumbs: Where'd you read that?

ChargerST

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Budnicks

I think if your going to use the 4 pin ballast resister & a dual field alterernator, along with a electronic newer style voltage regulater, like the 73-76 units like the M&H electroinc ignition upgraded harnesses sold by Year One...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks