News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Clearing over clear!! (fixing a boo boo)

Started by Indygenerallee, May 02, 2012, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Indygenerallee

Guy's I have done plenty of paint and bodywork but I have never shot clear over clear, I had a sag/run on the driver quarter on my Dart when I painted it last fall well I figured I could carefully sand it and buff it out well that did not work out and I can see where I broke through the clear so I was just going to re-spray the panel from the top edge to door jamb to rear valance panel, I was going to wetsand the whole panel with 1500 and then re-clear or is that too fine?? plan on re-shooting it tonight. Thanks!
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

FLG

1500 is too fine

Wet sand with 800, prep, and re-clear

:2thumbs:

Indygenerallee

I was thinking it was too fine but I wanted to see what everyone here used sounds about right I had in my head 600, I will have to dig and see if I have some 800 if not time to go to town!!!  :2thumbs:

bill440rt

Panel prep would be the same as if prepping it for a blend. You can sand the entire panel with 1000. Maybe give the just damaged area a quick scuff with 600 to spot that area in with color. If you shoot clear over the cut-through you might see it if you clear directly over it.
You could also use a blend prep agent on the panel, your local auto body jobber should have scuffing chemicals for this purpose.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Indygenerallee

I just got the 2nd coat of clear sprayed, I wetsanded with 800 and re-cleared you can see a spot where I sanded through the clear to the base (makes it worse it was FC7 metallic) nothing Im hugely worried about as I planned on putting the Swinger decals and it will cover that spot! at least now the horrendous sag is gone!! Thanks for the input guys!! really appreciate it!  :2thumbs:

hemi-hampton

Should of spotted some paint over the bad area. LEON.

Indygenerallee

Did not have any paint, It was  VERY small about the size of a eraser on a pencil, I have the "Swinger" decals that will cover that exact spot (right behind the doors under the quarter window)