News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Found gouges on some of my pushrods

Started by ncmiller1, May 10, 2012, 03:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ncmiller1

So I was changing the passenger side header gasket on my 440, and I took off the valve cover for a little more room to slide the gasket in and discovered something interesting; some of my pushrods have spiral gouges on them.

A little background info: I am running a 440 stroked to a 505 with stealth heads and stock rockers, stock rocker shaft, and stock pushrods (out of a 77 New Yorker).  My cam is a Comp XE274H with the Comp lifters.

I've heard of clearance issues with the Stealth heads when people use 3/8" pushrods, but these are 5/16".  My first question is: How bad is this? (Dumb, I know)  There doesn't seem to be any excessive noise coming out of the valve train, but metal on metal seems to be bad whether it makes a lot of noise or not.  Also, what would cause this?  Wrong pushrod length?  This would be my first guess, since I used stock pushrods and I don't have adjustable rockers. 

Any help anyone can throw my way would be appreciated.  Thanks all!

Chryco Psycho

it may be nothing , I have seen factory pushrods with a sprial pattern on them , only the first pic looks like it is making contact with the heads whick is obviously not good .

MSRacing89

Nothing we can help you with my friend.  This a common issue with Stealth heads.  It could be related to many factors like the decking of the block, the lift of the cam, etc.  I run adjustable rockers and had to put a lot of time into clearancing the pushrods.  These issues seem to vary case by case due to the different combos guys run.  You are going to have to take a little material off around the area where the pushrod goes through......this is where you can express you frustration.........

IMHO, you should be looking at a stepping up your valvetrain with that set-up. 
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2012, 06:44:26 AM
it may be nothing , I have seen factory pushrods with a sprial pattern on them , only the first pic looks like it is making contact with the heads whick is obviously not good .

Mine came that way in the box.  :2thumbs:
Nothing to worry about. make sure the Rockers are all in order.  There is a Left and Right. L/R L/R ect.

Rolling_Thunder

yep - some factory pushrods have the spiral pattern   :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

ncmiller1

Well that's good to hear!  I'll make sure to keep an eye on them, thanks guys!