News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Headlight conversion

Started by KWS, April 30, 2012, 11:53:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KWS

Has anyone written up a step by step install for doing the headlight conversion? I wanna upgrade my headlights in my 69 Charger and need a little info.

Thanks!

471_Magnum

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

I've found the best place to mount the relays is under the battery tray.
"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

BigBlackDodge

It's an upgrade well worth doing! :yesnod: Brighter lights and it takes the load of off the dash light switch.

BBD

ac_knight

This is something I will do as well, thanks for the link.

bill440rt

Kenny,
If it helps, check out page 2 here on this thread on my '69:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62840.25.html

I got the kit from autodynamics. I've seen other "similar" kits out there with the ballasts & igniters. For housings, it uses Hella housings. The HID bulb fits inside the Hella housing. There are wires coming off the HID bulbs that now fit into the harness in the kit that goes to the ballasts. There is also a relay that comes with the kit that I mounted on the rad support. I also ran a small separate fuse box on the other side of the rad support as an easy power source, also supplies power to the electric fans.
I got another set of Hella housings for the high beams (different part#), with H4 bulbs for the highs.
The instructions were a little vague (first time I installed them, like half the instructions are in Chinese...  :brickwall: ), but once figured out it was VERY easy.

Let me know if this is what you need. I can post more pics also if you need them showing how it's wired.  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

471_Magnum

"I can fix it... my old man is a television repairman... he's got the ultimate set of tools... I can fix it."

Rolling_Thunder

Either Relays or HIDs are the way to go...    I went with HIDs on my charger...     

If you need a hand with it just drop me a line (assuming you're in socal)  haha     :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

The first question is which upgrade ?
The Relays are worth doing just to take the load off the headlight switch & allow more power to the stock lighting .
Other options are to put Hella or Cibie lights where the light housing is just a reflector & swap in different types of bulbs .
The third option is to go to an HID conversion kit , for this you do not need to add relays as the lights use ballasts to porvide power to bulbs .

autodynamics