News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I need a new daily driven motor. What are your thoughts?

Started by 375instroke, April 29, 2012, 12:14:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

375instroke

I'm thinking around 500cid, Stealth or Super Stealth heads, hyd. roller, 3.23 gears, exhaust manifolds, Indy dual plane, 10 to 11:1 comp., original Carter rejeted, ferrous rockers.  What's your input?

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

heyoldguy

I say run a stock cast iron intake manifold and thereby put cork in both ends of that 500!

Chryco Psycho

you will have a lot of torque & low end response . The Carb will be the same as a 2 bbl on the 440 , way too small for 500 "

Scaregrabber

I suppose it could be made to work with a properly speced camshaft. For me with the price of gas daily driving a stock stroke 440 is a painful choice these days. The FAST guys seem to be able to run big inch engines through stock manifolds just fine.
It just doesn't make sense to run an aftermarket intake with a stock carb and exhaust though. If the stock look of the intake isn't important then you might as well run a better choice for carb and exhaust as well.

Sheldon

375instroke

How do the FAST guys run 10s and 9s through manifolds?  What's the biggest AVS carb?  I've just seen too many cars with all this go fast looking bullshit on their car that can't get out of it's own way, and these stock looking cars running single digit quarters.

BSB67

Some of them run the 800 cfm AVS Thunder Series carb.  The factory cast iron intake is a far bigger restriction than the exhaust manifolds or the 800 cfm carb.  You can easily get to the 11s on pump gas with what you are trying to do.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

375instroke

BSB67

Quote from: 375instroke on May 02, 2012, 12:53:14 AM
BSB67, 585 RWHP through manifolds?  Any secrets?
585 RWHP???? It is no where near that.

It will run 11s any time, at 119 mph.  Call it what ever hp you like, as it matters not.
Here is what you need to do to get into the 11s with a pump gas, true street car, with exhaust manifolds:
1) Zero deck, 500" motor with 10.8:1 CR
2) Ported Stealth or RPM heads (std. port and valves)
3) Cam from Dwayne Porter
4) Good induction (Six pac, 440-2D, SD) and 850 cfm
5)Pay attention to the details on the rest of the build and ancillary equipment.

Add a gear, converter and good tires and it will put the car on the verge of 10 second et's

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Cooter

Quote from: 375instroke on April 29, 2012, 05:50:12 PM
How do the FAST guys run 10s and 9s through manifolds? 

I'll tell you why.....They've spent thousands to "Extrude" hone them within an inch of their lives. Don't believe the hype. Those guys are rich guys trying to "play" like they are running STOCK, AS DELIVERED rides, when they are far from it. All of them are insanely powerful. So much so, that if you tried what they are doing with ACTUAL stock parts, you'd end up where you are now with the "Dog" syndrome.

I don't by one bit of that FAST bullsh*t they are trying to peddle. I've run IRON heads ported within an inch of their lives back in HS trying to keep that "Stealth" mode going...Once you do something that isn't normally done, like take off like a rocket(Nitrous), people who know better call Bullsh*t.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

BSB67

Quote from: Cooter on May 02, 2012, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: 375instroke on April 29, 2012, 05:50:12 PM
How do the FAST guys run 10s and 9s through manifolds? 

I'll tell you why.....They've spent thousands to "Extrude" hone them within an inch of their lives. Don't believe the hype. Those guys are rich guys trying to "play" like they are running STOCK, AS DELIVERED rides, when they are far from it. All of them are insanely powerful. So much so, that if you tried what they are doing with ACTUAL stock parts, you'd end up where you are now with the "Dog" syndrome.

I don't by one bit of that FAST bullsh*t they are trying to peddle. I've run IRON heads ported within an inch of their lives back in HS trying to keep that "Stealth" mode going...Once you do something that isn't normally done, like take off like a rocket(Nitrous), people who know better call Bullsh*t.

You don't need to extrude hone the exhaust manifolds, there is almost nothing there.  It is cam, heads, and compression and cubic inches.  They don't claim to be stock, or even close.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

375instroke

BSB67, I got that 585HP estimate from the dragstrip dynos on the web with your numbers:

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Is that 1/4 mile time a dog?  You're running manifolds, 3.23 gears, and stock converter.  Why is what I'm trying to do unrealistic?  Main reason I don't want headers is ground clearance.  If I was going to run them, they'd be TTI, I guess, which it looks like fit the best, but they are still going to be the lowest part of the car.  Next is carburetor.  I like the look of Carters.  Just something about seeing all the slow ass Chevies when I was in highschool with headers and Hollies just rubs me wrong.  If I can run sub 12 quarters without resorting to headers and a Hollie, why not?

BSB67

Quote from: 375instroke on May 02, 2012, 10:15:18 PM
BSB67, I got that 585HP estimate from the dragstrip dynos on the web with your numbers:

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Is that 1/4 mile time a dog?  You're running manifolds, 3.23 gears, and stock converter.  Why is what I'm trying to do unrealistic?  Main reason I don't want headers is ground clearance.  If I was going to run them, they'd be TTI, I guess, which it looks like fit the best, but they are still going to be the lowest part of the car.  Next is carburetor.  I like the look of Carters.  Just something about seeing all the slow ass Chevies when I was in highschool with headers and Hollies just rubs me wrong.  If I can run sub 12 quarters without resorting to headers and a Hollie, why not?
585 corrected, gross flywheel horsepower is probably closer.

I don't know what this means "Is that 1/4 mile time a dog?"

"Why is what I'm trying to do unrealistic?" It's not

I would not put headers on a new build unless it is fast enough to require a roll bar.  That's just me.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

FORGET HORSEPOWER !
Just keep the rpm down and RACE off the Torque curve !
The manifolds don't REALLY start to kill things until the rpm starts getting up there a bit, so why go there ?
If you've got 500-and whatever foot lbs Torque down at 3,000 rpm, peaks at "whatever",  and it stays there until mid to high 4,000's, SHIFT and PULL some more !
Just my opinion.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BSB67

Most seem to think of the exhaust system's role in making power incorrectly.  There are guys making 800 hp with 2.5" full exhaust systems and shifting well into the sunny side of 7000 rpm.  The only thing that makes hp is the induction system. The exhaust does not make power.  A good exhaust system will help the induction system, a bad one will hurt it.   However, the most significant aspect of this relationship only occurs when both valves are open.  As power and rpm levels go up, the poor exhaust system can hurt the induction more and more.  So, what do you think might be the possible solution for minimizing the negative impact of a poor exhaust system on the induction system??????.

If your shifting your 500 inch motor at 5000 rpm because your peak hp is so low in rpm, you should have built a 440.  It might feel good down low, but unfortunately, your hp and associated mph/ET will be lower.  I shift mine at 6400 rpm, it loses .3 sec and 3 mph if I shift at 6000 rpm

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Challenger340

Quote from: BSB67 on May 05, 2012, 06:28:27 AM

If your shifting your 500 inch motor at 5000 rpm because your peak hp is so low in rpm, you should have built a 440.  It might feel good down low, but unfortunately, your hp and associated mph/ET will be lower.  I shift mine at 6400 rpm, it loses .3 sec and 3 mph if I shift at 6000 rpm

Bob, are you running manifolds ?
Yours is a 500 Stealth Head.......what Camshaft ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

BSB67

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 05, 2012, 08:54:52 AM
Quote from: BSB67 on May 05, 2012, 06:28:27 AM

If your shifting your 500 inch motor at 5000 rpm because your peak hp is so low in rpm, you should have built a 440.  It might feel good down low, but unfortunately, your hp and associated mph/ET will be lower.  I shift mine at 6400 rpm, it loses .3 sec and 3 mph if I shift at 6000 rpm

Bob, are you running manifolds ?
Yours is a 500 Stealth Head.......what Camshaft ?

Is your question to me?  Not sure who Bob is?

Everything you ask is in my sig and previous post if the questions are to me

"It will run 11s any time, at 119 mph.  Call it what ever hp you like, as it matters not.
Here is what you need to do to get into the 11s with a pump gas, true street car, with exhaust manifolds:
1) Zero deck, 500" motor with 10.8:1 CR
2) Ported Stealth or RPM heads (std. port and valves)
3) Cam from Dwayne Porter
4) Good induction (Six pac, 440-2D, SD) and 850 cfm
5)Pay attention to the details on the rest of the build and ancillary equipment.

Add a gear, converter and good tires and it will put the car on the verge of 10 second et's"

11.68 @ 120.2 mph