News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger Chris 70 R/T charger slowly at work restoring her

Started by charger chris, April 28, 2012, 10:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what do you think

u like
7 (63.6%)
not like
4 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 12, 2012, 10:02:04 PM

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1969 charger Daytona clone
1969 charger sadly stolen
1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

BBKNARF

Alot of work, but anything is possible, big block car ?
68 Charger, slowly in the works, 451 c.i. approx. 535 hp @ the flywheel, so far best time in the 1/4
11.21 @ 119 mph, full exhaust, stock suspension, 4:10s @ 3640 pounds.

charger chris

i am a fair person and up frount person and try to help if i can. i love my mopars thats. all i ever owned first car was my 69 charger at the age of 15.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger chris

it looks bad but its really not that bad if u ask me. The hard part is frame rails and the strating the body(because some lifted the car wrong  :RantExplode: ).

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Kern Dog

charger chris

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger_fan_4ever

Nothing a little AMD can't fix :)

Looks like the floor and cowl/hinge pillars are solid yet the rails are toast. The opposite of my 70.

When ordering parts I'd try a Goodmark rear valance and some valance corners that are not AMD. The top bend on the AMD rear valance isn't correct and their valance corners are a joke.

If it was 5 years ago and i was starting all over i'd probably have bought a 69 or 68 to restore. The 70 has a lot of one off parts and not all are reproduced.

$400 marker lights
$ fenders and hood that are not reproduced
$ front bumper not reproduced
1 year only seat tracks,steering column,dash frame itself
Dash wood grain on the RT's $600
Rear finish panel

I'm sure there is more i'm forgetting.

One thing I learned in parts hunting for a restoration if it can be had new repro just buy it new. Rare you find a deal on 40 year old parts. Price of fuel and time its just not worth it to go on parts hunts. Sure a couple are ok, but it gets old fast traveling hours to look at junk.

Get cutting  :hack:

Cheers

charger chris

You are right. And for the most part i am going to buy all new part for the body. The frount of the car  i am going to put  69 frount clip on it. Many people maybe upset but i like the way it looks better. And i have to work with what i have and what cash in hand.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: charger chris on April 28, 2012, 11:05:00 PM
You are right. and for the most part i am going to buy all new part for the body and the frount of the car. i am going to put  69 frount clip on it. many maybe upset but i like the way it looks better. And i have to work with what i have and what cash in hand.

same year i first bought my car at a show there was a 70 front clip in original paint. Hood/fenders/grille/bumper with nice chrome/valance for $2500. I said they guy is dreaming. In reality I should have bought it. $1000 to rechrome the bumper here in canada. I bought a nos fender that was in primer. Reason being it had surface rust and was striped and primered. Lets just say once it got stripped by us there was 1/4 inch of bondo over the whole thing. Someone sand blasted the WHOLE fender  :brickwall: :brickwall:

Its your car do what you gotta do  :2thumbs:

I like all the 68-70 cars. I should have done a little more research on whats involved in restoring the 70 cars to know what i was getting into. Oh well will be worth it when done.

charger chris

Yes that is true. When i was 18 parts wasn't that hard to get and cheaper. And now my lord people got a little crazy about the prices. My car dosen't have the option tag under the hood so it doesn't really mater how i put her back together. But i will put 70 1/4 back on her and put 70 maker lights on the 69 fender. I know more about these cars then most. I know what i need. ill just use parts from a 68 or 69 to put it back together as long as it looks and drives right.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

tan top

looks a bit of a project  there Chris  ,  if thats the charger you want with a particular color & option combo you want ! go for it , ( if it were me )  looks a daunting project  , but  once the cars stripped &  blasted all rotten / damaged metal cut out/ cleaned up  &  you have a pile of new sheet metal  , its not hard  ,but time consuming to do a factory appearing job ,
did the driver side take a hit ?? would do some measuring if it were me !  first before you start cutting anything .
  easy to get over whelmed with big project , sometimes  even if your doing this type of work every day , as a day job !!
   what i do , strip all the parts off box them up / label them !! &   if you can store them right out of sight from the body , in another garage , or well away from the body , that way you don't have to look at all the other stuff that needs doing plus  no fire risk should a load of  grinder / mig splatters go shooting in to a box of parts & start smouldering ,  only have the minim tools you need to work on the body , with  parts like  locks latches , hinges , etc etc body bumpers ect etc ,
once the body is in 2 pack high build primer , then start looking at the parts ,  :Twocents:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

nvrbdn

thats a big project. there are some big projects going on right now on here. make sure you follow their progress to see what will be in front of you. they are solving problems you will run into. good luck :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

charger chris

Well some one used a fork lift to lift the car at one time from the driver side. And picked it up wrong go figer. It wasn't hit as far as i know.  The ass end of the car was pulled down and pulled the frount cow forward some. The door on the passenger side wont close unless the door is unbolted. So i need to fix that first before i pull any thing off the car. Hell there not much to pull off lol the door and dash and whats left of the windshield and string wheel. but ya i am looking at every one else work to see what they are having problems with so i can be one step ahead on that stuff so i don't run in to that problem. :popcrn: :cheers:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Kern Dog

Yeah, I didn't want to appear like a jerk, but better English skills and typing does help.

charger chris

i am sorry people for my typing and spelling and so on. I suck at it. I'll just post pick of the car when i get them taken as i go along. i do try to get what i am saying right. Sorry every one have a great day.

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: charger chris on April 30, 2012, 06:47:58 AM
i am sorry people for my typing and spelling and so on. I suck at it. I'll just post pick of the car when i get them taken as i go along. i do try to get what i am saying right. Sorry every one have a great day.

Keep posting questions if need be we will try to help out.  :cheers:

nvrbdn

keep digging. and posting. this will be a big rebuild. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Fred

Quote from: charger chris on April 30, 2012, 06:47:58 AM

Don't be intimidated charger chris.  I can understand you no problem.
You've got your work cut out for you and I wish you lots of luck with the resto.  :2thumbs:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

charger chris

well my charger  and runner has been put on the back burner. do to getting a divorce. :brickwall: :shruggy:

1970 charger rt
1972 road runner clone

Fred

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

RIDELIKEHELL

Quote from: charger chris on June 19, 2012, 11:05:53 PM
well my charger  and run has been put on the back burner. do to getting a divorce. :brickwall: :shruggy:

That is the sh*ts...Good luck :pity:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

tan top

Quote from: charger chris on June 19, 2012, 11:05:53 PM
well my charger  and run has been put on the back burner. do to getting a divorce. :brickwall: :shruggy:

awww man sorry to hear this ,  good luck
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

1970Moparmann

If the colors are correct, and your restoring to original, then it looks like my old 70.

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

nvrbdn

nice looking car all cleaned up. keep us updated on how your doing chris. hopefully everything will work out for you.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House