News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What am I missing around the door opening?

Started by MaximRecoil, April 28, 2012, 02:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

I know the sill plates aren't there (I have those, they just aren't on there). I'm wondering about the plastic trim or weatherstripping or whatever it is that pushes onto that lip that goes around the door opening. One vertical section of it is still there (you can see on the left side of the picture). Are there supposed to be 3 sections of it (2 vertical and 1 horizontal)? Where can I get it? Is it something that is reproduced by anyone?

When it rains hard, water runs in under the doors and onto the floorboards. The doors themselves still have their rubber weatherstripping, but it needs whatever else is supposed to go around the door opening to create a seal when the doors are shut.

b5blue

The kick panel has a lip that wraps that front edge and the sill plate covers the very bottom part of both it and the strip in the rear. (The windlass trim.) Your door seal must be leaking.
Put some foam on it for now to see if it halts the leak.

MaximRecoil

Okay, so if I had the interior kick panel and then installed the sill plate, the passenger side would be complete, right? Probably if I just installed the sill plates it would stop most of the leaking, because most of the leaking is coming in directly on the bottom where the sill plates go. I assume the sill plates contact the door's rubber gasket/weatherstripping to create a seal along the bottom.

Are kick panels hard to find? I'm missing both of them. On the driver's side I'm also missing the vertical plastic strip in the rear.

b5blue

MaximRecoil

Are the reproduction kickpanels from Palco Industries any good in terms of fit / quality of construction?

I bought reproduction kick panels from Dash Top (Palco) and was unimpressed with them. I ended up using my originals. The grain is so far off a blind person could see the difference. Also, they use a plastic spacer instead of a molded standoff.

Nacho-RT74

suposselly Palco are at this moment the best... I'm aware they are not perfect, but if getting a full interior set match, makes it better.

What did you mean about plastic spacer ?
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

MaximRecoil

Quote from: 440 on April 30, 2012, 10:24:28 PM
I bought reproduction kick panels from Dash Top (Palco) and was unimpressed with them. I ended up using my originals. The grain is so far off a blind person could see the difference. Also, they use a plastic spacer instead of a molded standoff.

How was the fit and quality of materials/construction? I'm not concerned about correctness of the grain pattern and such, since I already have a 1970 interior in a 1969 Charger, and the car is never going to be anywhere near show quality anyway.

On the other hand, I would rather have some used originals in decent shape if I can find some, then I don't have to worry about fit or anything else. What years will fit a '69? I've seen some say '66 - '70 B-body and others say '68 - '70 B-body.

I didn't even bother putting them on my car, took one look and decided to use my originals so I can't comment on fit. They feel slightly thinner than originals. The grain pattern is more like the Dash Fascia on a 69 Charger instead of the A-pillar grain.

Yes, they use a separate plastic spacer behind kick panel to space them out instead of a molded stand-off into the kick panel like originals.

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html