News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

charger + 2

Started by dudedart, April 26, 2012, 07:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudedart

considering the rich performance heritage and that the charger was named after a horse like another well known car at the time. it really saddens me to see a 4 door car with the charger nameplate. i wonder if the challenger would have been in open arms had it been a 4 door sedan? i suppose (given the mentality of the market) that there is a market for that form of auto, however it dosent deserve the title. now adding a superbee sticker on it is equal to a daytona wing on a truck. 4 door hemi powered police charger? who would have ever guess, but then again fiats driving.

Indygenerallee

You gotta remember a 1971 Superbee was a CHARGER!!! just a option so it does not go against history.
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

myk

Quote from: dudedart on April 26, 2012, 07:39:58 PM
considering the rich performance heritage and that the charger was named after a horse like another well known car at the time. it really saddens me to see a 4 door car with the charger nameplate.

Why does it sadden you?  Today's 4 door Charger R/T out-performs classic 2 door Chargers in every way possible.  If you want a period of Charger history that could be called "saddening" turn your ire towards the 80's.  Truthfully, Charger performance has never, ever been stronger and the performance heritage is alive and well today.  Would I be wrong in stating that the current Charger SRT8 is the most powerful and best performing car in Charger history?  Speed, handling, braking, technology, safety, mileage and the overall driving experience is top level on the Charger SRT8.  The 4 door criticism is truly a dead issue; those of us who adamantly love the classic 2 door body styles have just ignored the new cars and gone about our old ways.  Others have adopted the new cars and thus we have a new generation of Charger fans; either way, Charger wins again and again.  Don't be sad, relish in the eternal glory and muscle-bound standard of the Charger name...

Vainglory, Esq.

This horse is dead. Stop fucking beating it.

dudedart

Quote from: myk on April 26, 2012, 09:03:15 PM
considering the rich performance heritage and that the charger was named after a horse like another well known car at the time. it really saddens me to see a 4 door car with the charger nameplate.

Why does it sadden you?  Today's 4 door Charger R/T out-performs classic 2 door Chargers in every way possible.  If you want a period of Charger history that could be called "saddening" turn your ire towards the 80's.  Truthfully, Charger performance has never, ever been stronger and the performance heritage is alive and well today.  Would I be wrong in stating that the current Charger SRT8 is the most powerful and best performing car in Charger history?  Speed, handling, braking, technology, safety, mileage and the overall driving experience is top level on the Charger SRT8.  The 4 door criticism is truly a dead issue; those of us who adamantly love the classic 2 door body styles have just ignored the new cars and gone about our old ways.  Others have adopted the new cars and thus we have a new generation of Charger fans; either way, Charger wins again and again.  Don't be sad, relish in the eternal glory and muscle-bound standard of the Charger name...

the 80's chargers while not quite as bad as the current 4dr charger, they were still american chargers. srt8's are not the most powerful cars in chrysler history, do you really believe that ? do you honesty believe a well tune 426 wouldnt make 470hp? even if it did only make 470, a 1970 charger weighs 500-1000 pounds less. you should ask chrysler/fiat to make a 4 dr challenger, maybe more easy for the family,lol. gm didnt bring back a 4 dr camaro, that would have went over well, think ? relish what used to be, not a slap in the face of a great nameplate. tell the truth now, want that 4dr srt8 charger, or a panther pink 4spd 440 rt charger ? we know the ansewer.

myk

Please read my post more carefully.  I never stated that the Charger SRT8 was the most powerful in Chyrsler history, but Charger history.  Again, the current 4 door Charger R/T's outperform or at least MATCH the classic 2 door Charger R/T in EVERY WAY possible-you know that right?  Now, I'll give you this: the original 426 Street Hemi was a beast on a dyno and probably pulls more than the SRT8's Hemi, but at the end of the day what matters at the race track: horsepower/dyno queen numbers or elapsed time?  The new Charger SRT8 can run just as fast as a classic Charger with a 426 in the quarter mile/straight line.  How can you talk about these new cars not deserving the Charger namesake due to a lack of performance heritage?  And again, do we even need to mention that the new Chargers handle, brake, get better mileage, are safer and are generally better built?  Most performance car enthusiasts care more than how a car does in a straight line-it's gotta be able to do other things too; it is 2012, you know.

I mean no disrespect to you and others who think like you, but the only valid criticism that you have against the new Chargers is that they have 4 doors.  I'm curious: if they had 2 doors but still had all this performance and technology would you still be so upset, so sad as you put it?  Like another poster here has said, we're beating a dead horse.  If you don't like the new Chargers and want to keep believing that the world owes you a Charger of your design, it's your choice.  There are plenty of people who felt the same way but got over this 4 door dilemma like 13+ years ago since the '99 concept and it's time for you to let it go...

472 R/T SE

Wow, myk, very well put.  To think you don't even like them but yet get it.   :2thumbs:

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: myk on April 26, 2012, 09:03:15 PM

if I rolled out in an intrepid and slapped some 'charger' labels on it would you still love it like a charger? Dont get me wrong either and YES I will beat this horse with a dead stick or horse be dead by my stick, but the new charger is not a charger at all its just a name to dodge now that they decided to murder it they figure no one knows the history of the charger so lets slap that name on this car and be cool. Yes its stronger, YES its modern, YES its cool looking, YES it can outrun the quarter mile of older, but a CHARGER NO ITS NOT.....I have not ignored the modern cars what I do ignore is the history of the car what it was intended for to begin with and how it became about and this new charger does not relate to it.

If I slap some FORD labels on your charger would you still love it like it was a charger?

If Honda called the accord by a different name would it be still be an accord? Than again Im selfish....what do I know IM NOT MAKING ANY MONEY for Dodge so they call it whatever they want  :2thumbs:

myk

CHRYSLER/FIAT owns the Charger name, not me, the posters in this thread, this message board or even God himself.  Does anyone actually believe that they have the right to declare what will and won't, should and should not wear the Charger name?  And who are we again?  We're a bunch of common men posting on a message board bristling with opinions that matter to no one on this planet other than ourselves.  The reality is whatever THEY make it to be, and with all due respect people need to accept that reality; it is what it is and the fact is 99% of us classic Charger fans including myself have dried our tears, changed our tampons, moved on and dropped this ridiculous 4 door "crisis."  Good God man this topic SOOOOO 2004 and people are still "saddened" by this?  I think it's "sad" that we haven't found a cure for cancer yet.

In regards to the question of "which Charger to choose and own?"  Why would it be one or the other?  Why not BOTH?  They're BOTH excellent cars that served their respective generations extremely well.  I would never dream of driving an SRT8 Charger to the cruise N bop on Grand avenue for Friday nights, but on the other hand I would never entrust the safe daily transporting of my beautiful wife and children to a 40 year old hulk of sculpted, machined steel.  

As for the question of me "loving" my '69 Charger if it was a Ford?  That's an entirely left-field, odd and irrelevant way of looking at this thread but to answer the question?  I don't give a frak if my Charger had a Honda emblem on it and Emperor Hirohito himself put it together with a buncha' chopsticks.  The classic Charger is one of the greatest designs of all time-so great that I believe it's styling and presence goes above and beyond petty issues like brand name loyalty and how the needy, self-righteous fans think things should be.  No matter what Dodge, Fiat, Ford, Playboy magazine, Denny's Restaurants, Hostess Cupcakes, Hanes Underwear or whoever the heck ends up with the rights to the Charger name, I know that the muscular performance legend of this timeless machine will always live on and as long as I am alive I will continue to support it...

bakerhillpins

Yet another example of why this emoticon should be added to the site...
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

myk

Quote from: bakerhillpins on April 27, 2012, 06:25:52 AM

Yet another example of why this emoticon should be added to the site...

Fellas I offer my apologies.  To quote myself, this thing is so 2004 and that's where it should stay.  "Seacrest, out!"

Cooter

Well put Myk. Let's not forget about the 1975-77 Chargers were nothing more than a Coronet "Cop car" with a few badges either. Anemic 318-360 (Possibly a 400 if you knew what to order?)Engines that were notorious for lack of power. Saddled with smog equipment.

Some would even go so far as to look at a 1974 Charger with it's "Ladau" tops, chrome everywhere, heavy as a tank, no powerful engines, "Big car" styling, and call the "Charger" dead after 1971(Last hoorah of the 426 Hemi)...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Dino

You guys make valid points but in the end you're comparing apples and oranges.  You cannot compare a car built in '68 with one built a few years ago.

The muscle cars from back then were just that because they were much more powerful than anything else on the road.
The new Charger can be beat by a ton of Japanese cars and a lot of cars have had 150 mph speed limiters on them for decades. 

It's no longer special to have a lot of ponies under the hood, they're a dime a dozen now.

As far as the naming of the car, there's no comparison between a 1st gen and a 2nd gen and a 3rd gen, they're all unique cars but because they all have style the name is accepted on all 3.  Not long after they reused the name again on one of the ugliest cars in history and now they're using it again to make money off a new generation.

I feel just as bad when I see a new Impala or GTO but what are you gonna do?  It's all marketing.

Honestly I couldn't care less what they call the new cars, it's just a name, it's the actual car I care about (or not).

The one that I really think is dumb is that they tried to make the latest model Charger look like more like the old by adding the new taillights and hood/door indentations. 
Now you really have something to compare and I'm sorry to say it looks bloody ridiculous.  It's in line with a Fiat 500 painted like a GL, it doesn't belong there.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

bill440rt

In case anyone cares, Jerry Springer is on right now.
:sleep: :sleep: :sleep:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

AirborneSilva

>>>>>>>>>>It's in line with a Fiat 500 painted like a GL, it doesn't belong there.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Now that's funny shit right there  :smilielol:

TUFCAT

Chargen69

dudedart

hey myk, do you really believe a 4 door charger srt8 can really outpreform a real charger ?? do you recall what happened in july of 1969 ? there was a CHARGER that ran over 200 mph? infact there was a quote on that car stating anyone could drive car comfortably at 180 mph. do you really believe a 4 door sedan can outpreform a 1969 hemi charger daytona ? did you forget that after regulating that car to 305 cu, it was completely banned from stockcar racing, cause it was unbeatable! if fiat would have labeled the new charger as say, starquest, triprunner or traveler4, then painted it a 1970 color, say purple and labeled that edition a charger, would you have bitten ? think your str8 will be worth what a hemi charger is worth now in 40 years ?  chrysler has always been its worst own enemy, fiat/diamer proves that!

even_u

'76 looks and performance...

stripedelete

Quote from: even_u on April 27, 2012, 12:55:33 PM
'76 looks and performance...

Man, those were some sad days to be a "dodge boy".

Back N Black

Quote from: dudedart on April 27, 2012, 12:36:48 PM
hey myk, do you really believe a 4 door charger srt8 can really outpreform a real charger ?? do you recall what happened in july of 1969 ? there was a CHARGER that ran over 200 mph? infact there was a quote on that car stating anyone could drive car comfortably at 180 mph. do you really believe a 4 door sedan can outpreform a 1969 hemi charger daytona ? did you forget that after regulating that car to 305 cu, it was completely banned from stockcar racing, cause it was unbeatable! if fiat would have labeled the new charger as say, starquest, triprunner or traveler4, then painted it a 1970 color, say purple and labeled that edition a charger, would you have bitten ? think your str8 will be worth what a hemi charger is worth now in 40 years ?  chrysler has always been its worst own enemy, fiat/diamer proves that!

1969 Hemi Charger has 425 Hp
The SRT8 Charger has 465 hp    :shruggy:

moparstuart

Quote from: Back N Black on April 27, 2012, 01:25:06 PM

425 HP is not the truth  that was for insurance company's 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Back N Black on April 27, 2012, 01:25:06 PM

the SRT8 has slightly less torque (20 ft. lbs.), and if I am not mistake the 69 weighs less.  I know my wifes SRT8 Challenger weighs better than 4,100 lbs.  If I remember right the 69 is less that 3,700 lbs, which is a big difference...  

Chargen69

I got a friend that has a 69 Road Runner, He passes motorcycles in the 1/8 mile, and the car is legal on the street.  Everything depends on how much work (money) has been done to them

OldGuy

Those in the know still know that a "real" Charger has only two (2) doors!!
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

TheGhost

Of course, you are talking about a stock Daytona, yes?  Not a NASCAR version?  Since we both know that there was a big difference, even back then.  The stock Daytona was capable of 200 MPH right off the dealer lot, yes?

Performance is not just acceleration, or top speed in a straight line.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

skip68

Like I always say, who cares how fast it is,  you've still got to be seen in it.  And since most your driving (98.999999%) is to the store or work you never fully get the use of all that raw performance.   Styling is number one for me.   I've seen real fast crx's but I just can't stomach looking at the car.  I will say that the 2012 "Charger" is much better looking than the others.   
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

c00nhunterjoe

I own a 69 and an 07. I love my 07. I hated them at first for the same reasons as everyone else. Then a year ago I finally drove one.......... and bought it.  You really do forget its a 4 door "family" car when driving it and I don't even have an srt8, just an rt with the road and track handling package.

While driving it you can see the vintage peieces carried over. There are many suttle things that scream 69 to me, whether its the view "down the hips" in the drivers side mirror, or the upper door pads, a true charger fanatic an appreciate them.

Then there is the drive. The hemi backed by the 5 speed auto is amazing. Stock was fun, but I tweaked a custom tune for mine, changed the intake and hacked the resonators off. It will fry the tires from a 20 mph roll, spin 2nd and bark 3rd, all with a stock tranny and no physical engine work. I get over 25 mpg on the highway thanks to the multiple displacement technology and 20 mpg back and forth to work sitting in traffic. It hugs corners like no other car I've owned and drifts are easy to enact and cntrol.

While it may be 4 doors, dodge nailed the happy medium between raw performance, comfortable ride, and family car.

Before you hate it, you have to drive it. Take that from the guy that refused to even talk about them when they first came out.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 27, 2012, 06:47:35 PM

Then there is the drive. The hemi backed by the 5 speed auto is amazing. Stock was fun, but I tweaked a custom tune for mine, changed the intake and hacked the resonators off. It will fry the tires from a 20 mph roll, spin 2nd and bark 3rd, all with a stock tranny and no physical engine work.

My 2011 Ram quad cab 392 rear gear 2 wheel drive will light em up at 35 MPH (also at 20), with just nailing it, it drops a gear and lights em up, scares the crap out of my wife every time I do it  :icon_smile_big: my point is the new Hemi (especially the latest gen's), are and awesome machine  :2thumbs:

I do agree that the 2012 are pretty descent looking too but I still have a problem getting past that extra set of doors  :rotz:

Cooter

Quote from: TheGhost on April 27, 2012, 06:31:47 PM

Performance is not just acceleration, or top speed in a straight line.

Valid point BUT! At least in a straight line, the average dumbass stands a chance..It's when those damn curves show up is when things like Vipers, Vettes, Porches, Chargers, etc. begin to kill people. Barring professional race drivers, most People can't handle those speeds in curves. Sure, you have a Car that will handle great @200 MPH in a curve, but last time I checked, Stoplight challenges weren't 25 miles long.........With curves. Face it, for the average gear head, performance has and all ways will be measured in a straight line.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

hence why i like my 07...... its not the fastest "super car" on the road, but i also didnt spend 80k on it....... it will put down respectable 1\4 mile times right now, putting most rice rockets in their place. then when leaving the track i can still hug corners with a large, comfortable interior, low exhaust noise, 25 mpg gettin' daily driver.

1974dodgecharger

In the end its been done and YES its a nice car fastest sedan I think on the street its just the name I have an issue with overall, but hey its still a badass looking car.