News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charger price differences between years

Started by Dino, April 26, 2012, 11:47:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

From time to time I look at Chargers for sale, not to buy another but just for the heck of it, and it amazes me how much more expensive the 69's can be compared to similar 68's and 70's.  Is this a doh thing?  are the 70's also going up because of the fast & furious flicks?  Did the 68 ever fetch more coin because of Bullit or is this a production number thing?  I honestly have no clue how many of each were built.

The average 3rd gen seems to go quite a bit cheaper, not sure about the 1st gens.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ghoste

Cooter

Unlike the 3rd Gen Charger and the 1St Gen Chargers, the 2nd Gen. Chargers seem to have more of appeal to the average "Wannabee" musclecar owner. Kinda like how the reason the Cuda/Challengers are so popular is basically, because for these types, they tend to look more like a "pony" car '69 Camaro. Like it or not.

Therefore, the 1st Gen., Charger is basically a fastback version of the Dodge Coronet.
The 3rd Gen. IMO, is more of an aquired taste.
(Many comments from car show public tend to think these are in their words "Ugly") compared to the 2nd Gen's.

As for the '69? Horizontal tail lights, with the coke bottle shape and split grille tend to be a winning combo with folks. Of course, the DOH didn't hurt either.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

F8-4life

Seems people that don't even know mopars know '69 chargers are the shit (to have) that + DOH + stunning good looks and all the other movies = all $$$ and hype

although a true charger lover can appreciate all three year of the 2nd gen ahaha

charger_fan_4ever

Based on production #'s 70's would be more rare. Cost more to restore with all the 70 doo dad 1 year only parts. Yet at the end of the day don't sell for more than a 69.

Ghoste

If you want low production numbers and one off parts, try a 67. ;)
Definitely rare does not always mean valuable.

bull

Quote from: Ghoste on April 26, 2012, 01:19:56 PM

One off parts = $$$$$. I can't imagine how hard it must be to find new or decent used parts for a first gen just based on the PITA it is to find second gen parts.

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Ghoste on April 26, 2012, 01:19:56 PM

Lol true

Indygenerallee

Idk, I love em all 66-74 but I prefer 69's and 71-72's  :Twocents:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

duanesterrr

What is the premium for for a 1970 500 then?

Here is a link for the only 2nd gen charger around where I live:
http://omaha.craigslist.org/cto/2968989007.html

17k?  Seems really high.  I never know what extra value the "500" actually brings.  I am guessing it is more rare then the RT so it should cost a bit more.

PocketThunder

Quote from: duanesterrr on April 26, 2012, 04:10:14 PM

17k?  Seems really high.  I never know what extra value the "500" actually brings.  I am guessing it is more rare then the RT so it should cost a bit more.

Not in 70.  An R/T is price point above a 500.
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

jaak

To me it always seems well optioned/popular color 70's seem to bring the most $$$$, if comparing R/T's. Of course the highest priced chargers are 69 C500 and Daytonas.

Jason

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: F8-4life on April 26, 2012, 12:56:47 PM
Seems people that don't even know mopars know '69 chargers are the shit (to have) that + DOH + stunning good looks and all the other movies = all $$$ and hype

although a true charger lover can appreciate all three year of the 2nd gen ahaha

hahaha funny how you say true charger lover....alot of modern guys who are driving their current 'chargers' now will argue you night and day on that one.....

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Cooter on April 26, 2012, 12:05:46 PM
"Wannabee" musclecar owner.

Now this is interesting if you could define wannabee muscle car owner?

I ask this becuase I saw some guys almost duke it over saying one guy was a wannabe muscle car owner exactly what you said. Mind you both guys were in their 50s one guy claimed he only loved muscle cars becuase they are valued now and are desirable. Mind you both grew up during the 'charger' years 1st to 3rd never saw folks argue at a 'meeting' of classic cars before it was my first.

472 R/T SE

Quote from: duanesterrr on April 26, 2012, 04:10:14 PM

If you're looking for a '70 Charger R/T, here you go.  It's not primered trying to hide stuff.  The rust is out there for all to see & I know the owner is man of faith who won't lie to make a sale.  Hell, I'm surprised it's still for sale.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=1154.0

Cooter

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 27, 2012, 12:20:52 AM

I ask this becuase I saw some guys almost duke it over saying one guy was a wannabe muscle car owner exactly what you said. Mind you both guys were in their 50s one guy claimed he only loved muscle cars becuase they are valued now and are desirable. Mind you both grew up during the 'charger' years 1st to 3rd never saw folks argue at a 'meeting' of classic cars before it was my first.

Almost answered your own question with your reply actually...You all know the types. The ones who come to the car shows and walk right up to you, ask all kinds of questions about how much your car is worth. Ask about how much he/she could get one for. How much he/she can make selling it. Doesn't care about the car, doing ANY of the work him/herself, just after the money. VERY close to, but not to be confused with flippers. These types cared NOTHING for musclecars until they became a commodity. Basically, "Parts swappers", or a term I heard the other day coined by one of my car buddies...."Blister pack hot rodders".

There were "True" musclecar guys that were Mopar when it wasn't cool. I can remember getting laughed off the local cruise spot driving in the words of some local Chevy freaks, "Get that "Goat" out of here!! You no a damned ole Mopar don't run!"...I can't see anybody hanging onto or even being a musclecar owner having to hear that sh*t every time they cruise their pride and joy out today. However, today, this doesn't happen because all ofa sudden those same ones are saying things like "Damn, maybe ole Coot was onto something..You see what one dem damned ole "Goats" brought last night at BJ!?!?"...All of a sudden, Mopar is "Cool"?? "Wannabees" are all about the Benjamins.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

stripedelete

Quote from: Cooter on April 27, 2012, 06:37:18 AM

Almost answered your own question with your reply actually...You all know the types. The ones who come to the car shows and walk right up to you, ask all kinds of questions about how much your car is worth. Ask about how much he/she could get one for. How much he/she can make selling it. Doesn't care about the car, doing ANY of the work him/herself, just after the money. VERY close to, but not to be confused with flippers. These types cared NOTHING for musclecars until they became a commodity. Basically, "Parts swappers", or a term I heard the other day coined by one of my car buddies...."Blister pack hot rodders".

There were "True" musclecar guys that were Mopar when it wasn't cool. I can remember getting laughed off the local cruise spot driving in the words of some local Chevy freaks, "Get that "Goat" out of here!! You no a damned ole Mopar don't run!"...I can't see anybody hanging onto or even being a musclecar owner having to hear that sh*t every time they cruise their pride and joy out today. However, today, this doesn't happen because all ofa sudden those same ones are saying things like "Damn, maybe ole Coot was onto something..You see what one dem damned ole "Goats" brought last night at BJ!?!?"...All of a sudden, Mopar is "Cool"?? "Wannabees" are all about the Benjamins.

So does a "wannabee" already own a muscle car or does he want to own one?

AirborneSilva

>>>>I can remember getting laughed off the local cruise spot driving in the words of some local Chevy freaks, "Get that "Goat" out of here!! You no a damned ole Mopar don't run!"<<<<<<<

Back in the day I used to make those guys with their chevelle 454's and their camaro z28's eat their words with my 68 Charger R/T..  Had a friend with a 71 z28 that refused to race me, he knew he'd get spanked  :yesnod:

Oh, and to try and stay on topic...  Yeah there is a disparity in prices vs gen's.  I have my 3rd gen but my next charger will be another 68 R/T  :2thumbs:

Cooter

Quote from: stripedelete on April 27, 2012, 06:51:38 AM

IMO, it works both ways. These people want to own one so badly until they get one, then it's Benjamins time.
This also adds to the price differences. To these folks, it's all about what's hot and not about the cars.

stripedelete

Quote from: Cooter on April 27, 2012, 11:46:43 AM
Quote from: stripedelete on April 27, 2012, 06:51:38 AM

To these folks, it's all about what's hot and not about the cars.

In that statement, I believe we have found common ground.

triple_green

Old analysis I did in late 90 s and then updated in 2003.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

Mike DC

The drivetrains & suspensions of Chargers weren't radically different throughout the muscle era.  1969s are most expensive because it wins the polls for being the best looking year.

The General Lee helps widen the gap, but I think '69s would still be on top without it.   

Brock Lee

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 27, 2012, 03:48:40 PM

1969s are most expensive because it wins the polls for being the best looking year.

The General Lee helps widen the gap, but I think '69s would still be on top without it.   

+1

duanesterrr

Thanks for the link 472.

I am looking for a 68.  I only mentioned that 70 because it is the only 2nd gen for sale here locally. 

Thanks for the info guys.

cdr

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on April 27, 2012, 03:48:40 PM

The drivetrains & suspensions of Chargers weren't radically different throughout the muscle era.  1969s are most expensive because it wins the polls for being the best looking year.

69 REALLY            http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,87836.0.html
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Mike DC

Quotehttp://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,87836.msg991432.html#msg991432   69 REALLY

Non-working link.  

If it's a link to a poll where a different model-year won, I would say that poll isn't representative.  The '68s are close but the 69 wins it. 

I'm not saying you have to agree with the crowd, I'm just saying this is what the crowd thinks on average IMHO.

Brock Lee

If someone posted the same poll at the same time for the model year Charger they currently owned, the results would be almost the same.

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

1974dodgecharger

The new 'charger' is still badass looking car no matter if its 4 door, minivan, or two door. If given the choice to spend 40k though I take the 2nd gen or split the two 20k to 2nd gen and 20k to a new charger would be great.

1974dodgecharger

yeah im a clown  :yesnod: :icon_smile_cool:

Quote from: Cooter on April 27, 2012, 06:37:18 AM