News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ever heard of a "Hour Glass" block?

Started by Charger4404spd, May 02, 2012, 02:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

Im looking at a 440 block and it supposedly is a '75 out of a Winnebago motorhome. The coolant passages on the decks are shaped to look like an hour glass and I was told this engine runs cooler. So are these blocks ok to use for a high performance build and do they actually run cooler???

Also, what is a set of stock 6 pack rods worth?

red79

You are referring to the 'peanut' shaped cooling passages in motorhome blocks. Any old head and head gasket will bolt up to them just fine. The factory built them that way for increased cooling in motorhome/truck applications, but I've never seen any numbers to back up this claim.

Charger4404spd

Chryco Psycho

not sure what to say on the value of 6 pack rods now , I have 2 mint sets , should have sold them when they were worth $600 / set , not worth that now , you can buy the H beam rods for less than that .

Musicman

Those cooling passages were not limited to Motor homes etc, they were a standard item in the newer blocks.

Charger4404spd

Ahh I did not know that. I figure I can pick the rods up for $50 or so, Im sure they are worth that aren't they?

red79

What kind of build do you plan to use them for? I've heard lots of people say the six-pack rods are too heavy for their own good, and that a set of standard LY rods resized with arp bolts are more than adequate for a stout street motor.

Chryco Psycho

6 pack rods are heavy , you need to take the lightest one & at least get them all as light as possible but removing weight from the beams & caps then add weight to the crank , use new  high strength bolts .
Most people opt to buy a set of H beam rods from 440 source or similar as the cost is cheaper than rebuilding old rods with new bolts .

69rtse4spd

Just sold a set of 6-pack rods for 80.00, needed cleaned up & checked out. I was not going to use them anyway.

Challenger340

Some Trivia....
obtained from a former Mopar Engineer at Pomona California back in 1989 at the NHRA World Finals...we were BOTH drunk.
He could really drink fer a fat old fart !
But as I remember the laugh....

The 6-pack rods evolved as a result of some experience gained by 'Ma Mopar, back in the mid-60's running the Max-Wedge Engines.
Hiccup !
Seems some Rod failures were incurred, Hiccup !...that was reverse Engineered as a problem at higher rpm, back to lack of stability in the "Trusses" of the I-Beam Rods which were basically LY Rods.
Hiccup !
Remember,
Hiccup !
the STRENGTH of an I-Beam Rod is carried in the outer BEAMS, Hiccup !...the center merely acting as an "connector" to maintain stability of said Beams.
Hiccup....BELCH !
Moving forward....later in the Sixties when the Wedge 440-SIX PACK Engines were on the drawing board for the 69 1/2 debut....
'Ma engineers of the day...
Hiccup !
decided to increase the Truss stability by making it thicker & wider to spread the loads more....
Hiccup !
problem was....
this was the late 60's...and experimentation with 'mind enhancing' stuff like marijuana and lsd was becoming common ????
Hiccup !
Some dunb Baaaaaasterd...hiccup.... forgot to employ a stronger FASTENER to compensate for the added Rod weight, because he didn't think it necessary on the lower revvíng std port Wedges.... compared to the old MAXI's or Elephants(HEMI's) :rotz:
Hence,
The Six-pack Rod...hiccup.....although much stronger in the Beam section...has it's achilles heel....the same Rod Bolt as the regular, and "lighter" LY Rods, and the Bolts typically let go....
brrrrrrp !

He was a real character once ya got him talking.....and drunk.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Cooter

"Hemi"/"Six Pack" rods= OLD SKOOL TECH...We have better today.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

GPULLER

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 03, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
Some Trivia....
obtained from a former Mopar Engineer at Pomona California back in 1989 at the NHRA World Finals...we were BOTH drunk.
He could really drink fer a fat old fart !
But as I remember the laugh....

The 6-pack rods evolved as a result of some experience gained by 'Ma Mopar, back in the mid-60's running the Max-Wedge Engines.
Hiccup !
Seems some Rod failures were incurred, Hiccup !...that was reverse Engineered as a problem at higher rpm, back to lack of stability in the "Trusses" of the I-Beam Rods which were basically LY Rods.
Hiccup !
Remember,
Hiccup !
the STRENGTH of an I-Beam Rod is carried in the outer BEAMS, Hiccup !...the center merely acting as an "connector" to maintain stability of said Beams.
Hiccup....BELCH !
Moving forward....later in the Sixties when the Wedge 440-SIX PACK Engines were on the drawing board for the 69 1/2 debut....
'Ma engineers of the day...
Hiccup !
decided to increase the Truss stability by making it thicker & wider to spread the loads more....
Hiccup !
problem was....
this was the late 60's...and experimentation with 'mind enhancing' stuff like marijuana and lsd was becoming common ????
Hiccup !
Some dunb Baaaaaasterd...hiccup.... forgot to employ a stronger FASTENER to compensate for the added Rod weight, because he didn't think it necessary on the lower revvíng std port Wedges.... compared to the old MAXI's or Elephants(HEMI's) :rotz:
Hence,
The Six-pack Rod...hiccup.....although much stronger in the Beam section...has it's achilles heel....the same Rod Bolt as the regular, and "lighter" LY Rods, and the Bolts typically let go....
brrrrrrp !

He was a real character once ya got him talking.....and drunk.

:icon_smile_big:  Felt like was standing there listening to the conversation!  Please pass me a beer, mines empty.