News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New (rebuilt) wiper motor wont work

Started by AirborneSilva, April 25, 2012, 11:12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AirborneSilva

Ok, I'm not real great at wiring so please bear with me.  Last night I put in my rebuilt wiper motor that I bought from Rock Auto turned it on and got nuttin!  I get out my light tester, grounded it to the battery then tested each connection, with all but one I got my test light to come on but still no wiper motor action WTFO  :shruggy:

b5blue

AirborneSilva

b5blue

:scratchchin: I hope it's not a dud! If ya got power is the ground strap good? Run a ground wire off the battery.....

AirborneSilva

I did try running the light tester direct to ground on battery/ground strap on wiper motor, maybe I will try to cleanup where the ground connects on motor and try again.  Thanks  :2thumbs:

b5blue

AirborneSilva

b5blue

I'm fairly good but only really know 70 Chargers well as that's what I have! (The wiper motors are the same.)  :2thumbs:

AirborneSilva

AirborneSilva

AirborneSilva

Ok guys see if this makes sense, I connected as follows:

"Jump the P2 terminal to the ground.

Connect 12v positive to H terminal.  Motor should run on high speed."

first attempt was without the wire harness connected, I did use my light tester as one of the connections and it lit up so I know I had a complete circuit, I got nothing.  I then connected the wire harness up repeated the procedure and what I got was the light was pulsing, I could hear the motor doing something but when I checked the nut on the other end where it connects to the wiper arm I could feel it was trying to do something but was nut turning.  I felt the resistor which was getting pretty warm.....  Ideas  :shruggy:

As usual I do appreciate your help!

4cruzin

I just installed a new wiper motor as well and had issues but it turned out to be my switch.  Had it rebuild and all is good now!  It was a 73 also . .
Tomorrow is promised to NOBODY . . . .

AirborneSilva

I was wondering if it might not be the switch, that's why I wanted to do the bench test.  I do still wonder how good my switch is though.

E5 Charger

Hm, I went through the steps from the Passion4Mopars site on my 74 and it worked just as it said. If you are testing the motor off the car than the switch wouldn't be the problem. If you followed the steps correctly I would think the motor is faulty. You would think they would bench test them when they rebuild them? Have you contacted Rock Auto?

Chryco Psycho

the switch has to be grounded to work properly

AirborneSilva

Thanks guys...

No I have not contacted Rock Auto, I was/am trying to figure out if this is something I'm not doing right.

As mentioned above I did try testing it with nothing connected (albeit still in the car), and got nothing but my light tester showed that I had continuity, then I connected up the harness and while the motor didn't turn I did get something, it kinda felt like it was trying to turn but was froze up  :shruggy:

AirborneSilva

I sent RockAuto and e-mail this morning describing my problem, below is what I got back from them, of course I sent it from my military e-mail so that may have gotten their attention  :icon_smile_big::

"Dear Anthony,

I am glad you contacted us. The problems you are describing about the wiper motor suggest that the part is defective. The part is under warranty and RockAuto has a couple of warranty solutions to choose from:

1.  Place a new order for the same part number. Once the replacement has been received and installed, contact us for return instructions and send back the part that failed. The manufacturer does not include shipping charges, however, because RockAuto values our customers, we will issue a refund for the cost of the new order (cost of the part and outbound ground shipping). We ask that you be responsible for returning the part to our warehouse.

2. Send back the part that failed without placing a new order. We ask that you be responsible for returning the part to our warehouse. Once we have a tracking number showing the part is on the way back to the warehouse, we will reship you a new part at no additional cost.

Please let us know how you would like to proceed.

Thank you,

Dilara
RockAuto Customer Service

phone: (608) 661-1376
fax: (608) 819-6350
toll-free: 1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288) RockAuto FAQ <http://www.rockauto.com/lang/en/faq.html>
http://www.rockauto.com"

b5blue

Just so you know that return policy is the same even if they miss-label an item. I bought a wiper arm after calling to verify it WAS NOT a Universal type stupid looking POS. It was and they replied the same way, our bad, you pay return.....

Rolling_Thunder

Hmmmm     bench testing should allow for it to work...    if it doesnt i would mark it as faulty.
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Chryco Psycho

I would contact Kim at Passon4Mopars , she can supply a working unit or fix your original

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 07:40:23 AM
I would contact Kim at Passon4Mopars , she can supply a working unit or fix your original

Thanks, I have already paid for this one from RockAuto so I'll have to ride this out....

FLG

Fellow forum member Topher rebuilds em, they come out like factory  :2thumbs:

AirborneSilva

Thanks, i need to get off my butt and send this back for warranty.  Does anyone sell wiper switches for the 73, i think i should get one just incase.

AirborneSilva

Ok, I just got the replacement motor, connected everything up, tired it and nothing  :'( then I got out and looked at the end of the motor while I turned it on (I don't have the wiper arms connected), and when I turned it on it would turn about 1/4 turn and stop, then when I turn the switch off it goes back to park....  WTFO  :shruggy:

Slotts

AirborneSilva

Hi Jim, i will be leaving for a trip in the morning so i'll have to see about taking the instruments out when i get back.  Is there anyone who sells new or rebuilt switches?  Thank you for the help!

Slotts

AirborneSilva

A friend here at work is going to look over my wiring diagram to see if he can see anything.  Hopefully it's just something simple but then again that is rarely the case  :rotz:

On another note, I bought a used headlight switch since the one I have is not correct for my Charger (73 SE), I will need that restored, do you have a ball park figure Jim?