News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is VH done for?

Started by bull, January 29, 2006, 01:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I was just on the Van Halen website and the last update was like Feb. of '05. They have pictures of Sammy Hagar so I assume he's the front man again. Has anyone heard any news on them? http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/index2.html

BTW, while I'm at it, what's the deal with Queen? I saw they were coming to town for a concert but I didn't even know they were still a band since Freddy Mercury died. Who's their lead singer?

TruckDriver

Quote from: bull on January 29, 2006, 01:21:26 PM
I was just on the Van Halen website and the last update was like Feb. of '05. They have pictures of Sammy Hagar so I assume he's the front man again. Has anyone heard any news on them? http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/index2.html

BTW, while I'm at it, what's the deal with Queen? I saw they were coming to town for a concert but I didn't even know they were still a band since Freddy Mercury died. Who's their lead singer?

Micheal Anthony told one of the local radio guys here when they met at SEMA, that pretty much yes, there pretty much done because Eddy is off doing his own thing right now, and Alex is busy with his food products he is involved with. But I guess he also said the inevedable will happen as far as a re-union in the future, probably with David Lee Roth.

As far as Queen, Paul Rogers is the current front man and voice. Which I have heard some live cuts from their current tour on the radio station I listen to.....  :puke: :P
PETE

My Dad taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

JimShine

Eddie is still a lush, and that is what is probably screwing everything up. Note the bottle of wine right next to him. He drinks straight from the bottle.

At NAMM 2003 everyone thought a bum drifted in until he went up on stage

His wine made an appearance too

DLR is always starting some sort of gossip, and recently started again when he mentioned on his new radio show a reunion was inevitable, just figuring out when is the next step.

TruckDriver

WOW!  :o Eddie looks like he is in his 60s! Looks horrible  :rotz:
PETE

"If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!" :P

Old Moparz

Wow, age & alcohol hasn't been too friendly to Eddy. He looks like the guy I saw dumpster diving for food recently.  ::)
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Lowprofile

After dealing with the divorce & cancer, I'm willing to give the guy a little slack. Things are up in the air for the band right now. As of right now, Sammy is still the lead guy. DLR is doing radio now.......took over the time slot for Howard Stern in NYC.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

NHCharger

Besides tongue cancer didn't Eddie need hip replacement surgery?
Kinda funny, the reason DLR didn't return to the band was Eddie's statement "I'm sober, he's not" ::)
I heard Roger Daltrey former singer for The Who was front man for Queen. Time for a google search.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TruckDriver

Quote from: NHCharger on January 29, 2006, 06:29:52 PM
Besides tongue cancer didn't Eddie need hip replacement surgery?
Kinda funny, the reason DLR didn't return to the band was Eddie's statement "I'm sober, he's not" ::)
I heard Roger Daltrey former singer for The Who was front man for Queen. Time for a google search.

Yes, he had his hip replaced too. Roger Daltrey was consitered to be the lead singer, but Paul Rodgers is the guy they picked. http://www.queenpluspaulrodgers.com/

PETE

hemihead

Yep, Paul Rodgers. My son is a big Queen Fan.I myself , prefer Bad Company.
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TruckDriver

Quote from: hemihead on January 29, 2006, 07:00:33 PM
Yep, Paul Rodgers. My son is a big Queen Fan.I myself , prefer Bad Company.

I'm not a big fan of either. although they both did songs I like.
PETE

JimShine

I would cut him slack on the cancer, but the dude still smokes like a chimney. Yeah, I know its tough to quit, but losing parts of your body should be encouragement enough. The divorce I am sure is a tough thing, but he and his wife had long been seperated.The divorce was a formality at this point. I can feel bad for guys who have rough times and hit the bottle. This guy has just never stopped his self destruction.

nh_mopar_fan

Speaking of Daltrey, The WHO will be back out on the road this summer.

I saw them 4 years ago on the last tour, 4 days after Entwhistle OD'd and I was amazed at how good they were.

I really thought that Queen would tour with George Michael. I can't stand him but he really sounded GREAT when he played with the rest of the band at Freddie Mercury tribute concert. Did a nice version of "Somebody to Love".

But, this is a joke calling this Queen. It's bad enough that Mercury is dead and gone but John Deacon has passed on it as well.

bull

I don't think Eddy's drinking is a result of his divorce as much as the divorce is a result of his drinkiing. He's definitely an addict, and an obsessive one at that.

As far as his age, he probably really is pushing 60. I'm pretty sure Sammy Hagar was at least 50 when OU812 was released.

TruckDriver

Noooo, Sammy is only 51 now. It was just his b'day not to long ago.
PETE

bull

Eddie Van Halen DOB - Jan 26, 1955  51 yrs old
Sammy Hagar - Oct 13, 1947  58 yrs old

http://www.famousbirthdays.com/

TruckDriver

ok, i had it backwards then  :P I knew one of then was 51
PETE

bull

Compared to Eddy I'd say Sammy has aged pretty well.

WM23N1

Where has the time gone?  Brian Johnson of AC/DC is pushing 60 also.
1971 Super Bee 383 "The WM23N1" http://1971-1974dodgecharger.com/

TruckDriver

Quote from: bull on January 29, 2006, 11:12:37 PM
Compared to Eddy I'd say Sammy has aged pretty well.
:iagree:

If I look half as good at 58, I'll be happy.
PETE

BrianShaughnessy

VH:     Give it up... nobody cares anymore - well... at least I don't and that's all that really matters  :icon_smile_big:   
Eddie:   Looks bad...   Maybe Valerie used to give him a sponge bath occassionally to make him look presentable.   Looks like he just passes out in his own puke now.     
DLR:    Used to be the man - and then they recorded Jump   ::)
Sammy:  Shoulda stayed solo.   Or stayed with Montrose.

Queen:   Legendary with Mercury.   Brian May is a heluva guitar player...  I probably give them more credit now than I did back then...   we really didn't cut any suspected gay acts any slack back in the day.    I did think G. Michael sounded good with them during that Freddy benefit also.
Paul Rogers?  WTF?  Totally wrong for Queen.  I'm not a big Bad Co. fan.   

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

nh_mopar_fan

DLR sucked long before Jump.

Fair Warning sucked and Diver Down wasn't much better.

Mike DC

Eddie Van Halen?  See the movie Kingpin . . . "Uh, well, I've been doing at lot of drinking."

David Lee Roth?  See Napoleon Dynamite.  Roth is "Living too much back in '82."

Sammy Hagar?  See The Big Lebowski.  Imagine how the Dude would be living if he'd ever actually gotten the million bucks at the end.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think rock stars, by their very definition, cannot age well.  They are successful as the embodiement of all that is Youth.  The only way they can ever pull of aging well is by broadening (redefining?) themselves as a success at something else (like doing more "artistic & mature" music or something). 

And that that point they're no longer really rock stars in the classical sense.  Now they're mature adults, just working as the world's best tribute band of their own younger selves. 

nh_mopar_fan

Sammy IS getting the money at the end.

I read somewhere that he is making more of Cabo Wabo than he is on music and that it's to the point that he's considering go out and playing free shows this summer.

Old Moparz

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

bull

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 30, 2006, 12:02:51 PM

Barely. Looks like he's been done up by a taxidermist in this pic.

TruckDriver

Quote from: bull on January 30, 2006, 01:42:51 PM
Barely. Looks like he's been done up by a taxidermist in this pic.

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: You though he looks that good??
PETE

NHCharger

Quote from: Old Moparz on January 30, 2006, 12:02:51 PM

Jesus Chri#t, next time give a warning before posting something that scary. I'm going to have nightmares tonight. Freddy Kruger is back.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Ponch ®

VH has been done for 20 years.

DLR was doing some pretty good stuff when he had Steve Vai playing guitar for him, but after that he let the clown schtick take over....his book was pretty good though.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

bull

Quote from: Ponch on January 30, 2006, 02:43:15 PM
VH has been done for 20 years.

DLR was doing some pretty good stuff when he had Steve Vai playing guitar for him, but after that he let the clown schtick take over....his book was pretty good though.

I think they did some pretty good stuff early on with Sammy so yea, it's been close to 20 years since they did much worth hearing. I was surprised how much Cherone sounded like Hagar on that one album (which I never bought) but the music really sucked. DLR is a good singer but I can't stand him otherwise.

TruckDriver

You mean you dont like the 'ol "Zipity bop boo bop"? :D
PETE

bull

You mean "hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop?" Or "bop bozadee bozadee bop zitty bop?"

nh_mopar_fan

Those two fought like cats and dogs on that entire Sammie and Dave tour.

Ponch ®

though im sure we would all agree that "dozy dozy bop, bitty bop, bitty bop" is far superior.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

bull

Quote from: Ponch on January 30, 2006, 03:58:36 PM
though im sure we would all agree that "dozy dozy bop, bitty bop, bitty bop" is far superior.

Superior to what?

Ponch ®

Quote from: bull on January 30, 2006, 04:10:21 PM

Superior to what?

hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop" Or "bop bozadee bozadee bop zitty bop"

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

bull

Quote from: Ponch on January 30, 2006, 04:18:26 PM
Quote from: bull on January 30, 2006, 04:10:21 PM

Superior to what?

hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla boobuhla hummala bebhuhla zeebuhla bop" Or "bop bozadee bozadee bop zitty bop"

Oh. It's less annoying anyway, I guess.

Lowprofile

Commercially speaking, Sammy helped bring the bacon home for the band.  More sales of everything, from CD's to T-Shirts. The Red Rocker was Money in the Bank for VH & Warner Bros. He & Eddie were a great writing team. Lots of good stuff from Van Hagar, IMHO.
"Its better to live one day as a Lion than a Lifetime as a Lamb".

"The final test of a leader is that he leaves behind him in other men the conviction and will to carry on."

Proud Owner of:
1970 Dodge Charger R/T
1993 Dodge Ram Charger
1998 Freightliner Classic XL

nh_mopar_fan

I agree with that. VanHagar did stuff that DLR couldn't even dream of doing.

DLR had some high points early on, the debut album is one, but there was also a lot of crap to wade through to get to the good stuff.

Charger1970

QuoteCommercially speaking, Sammy helped bring the bacon home for the band.

Seems I read a while back that VH sold more records with DLR. Not sure if they made more money though.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Brock Samson

back in '81 when i was trying to get my solo guitar God gig going in L.A. all anyone wanted to know was if i could play any Van Halen solos,  The Eruption solo and Ain't talkin 'bout love were the tracks of the day,.. there was only one other act in town going on, (Besides alot of "new Wave") a new local band called Motley Crue, they had the best parties in town...
  For that reason i have trouble to this day hearing V.H.

But i gotta tell ya', I was at G.I.T. back then and saw, heard and taped a 20 min.guitar duel between Eddie van the man and Alan Holdsworth!

WOW!!!!!  :o

i used to see Sammy all the time in Golden Gate Park in the '70s with Montrose and Earthquake in my own wine induced stupor...

Didn't Valerie B. just die?...  ???

Charger1970

Quotesaw, heard and taped a 20 min.guitar duel between Eddie van the man and Alan Holdsworth!
:scared: :scared:

I bet that was awesome.
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Brock Samson

yeah, it is but it's on a cheap TDK D-60 one of the crappy red ones... i still listen to it on occasion,.. and the rythem section?..
Jeff Berlin on Bass and Gary Householder (sp) who was married to D. Bozio (spelling again?) the female singer from Missing Persons... and "Nobody Walks in L.A." which was a top 40 hit at the time,.. and guess what?.. I was walking in L.A. at the time, my Strat in one hand, my crappy Rosac amp in the other (two knobs!  :-\) and my Bag 'o tricks slung across my back. Every freakin bus trip took two to three hours... and I endlessly heard that song everywhere I went...  :-\
I gave up after a month of that and eating peanut butter & Jelly on saltine crackers for breakfast lunch and dinner...  :sick:
The live music i saw/heard was pricless however...  :yesnod:

Old Moparz

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 01, 2006, 01:29:53 PM
yeah, it is but it's on a cheap TDK D-60 one of the crappy red ones... i still listen to it on occasion,.. and the rythem section?..
Jeff Berlin on Bass and Gary Householder (sp) who was married to D. Bozio (spelling again?) the female singer from Missing Persons... and "Nobody Walks in L.A." which was a top 40 hit at the time,.. and guess what?.. I was walking in L.A. at the time, my Strat in one hand, my crappy Rosac amp in the other (two knobs!  :-\) and my Bag 'o tricks slung across my back. Every freakin bus trip took two to three hours... and I endlessly heard that song everywhere I went...  :-\
I gave up after a month of that and eating peanut butter & Jelly on saltine crackers for breakfast lunch and dinner...  :sick:
The live music i saw/heard was pricless however...  :yesnod:

I'll trade you a peanut butter & jelly sandwich for a copy of that tape.  :D 

Holdsworth has done some great stuff over the years, & I got to see him with Jeff Berlin in NYC once. (Holdsworth's IOU) Saw him another time with Bill Bruford, & would say it was one of the better live shows I've seen since it was in a tiny place called The Bottom Line that held about 500 people.

http://www.therealallanholdsworth.com/
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

chrisII

Quote from: Lowprofile on January 31, 2006, 01:50:21 AM
Commercially speaking, Sammy helped bring the bacon home for the band.  More sales of everything, from CD's to T-Shirts. The Red Rocker was Money in the Bank for VH & Warner Bros. He & Eddie were a great writing team. Lots of good stuff from Van Hagar, IMHO.
im going to venture a guess here that they were makin more money cause they were still sellin a helofa lot of the early records with DLR plus the vanhagar stuff. IMO both bands were awesome, both guys did great fronting VH. sammy seems to have done alot more musicly speaking without VH where DLR had a couple short lived hits. on a side note i really did like what i heard from "the DLR band" in the late 90s i remember thinking how sick it was that DLR (somebody who i dispised in my HS days) had music that really rocked on the radio and METALLICA (my HS idols) had music on the radio that turned my stomach (load , reload) talk about a band going to heII and becoming popular for it! and for whatever reason DLR didnt get the airplay so it failed...happens to many good bands being that record companys,MTV and radio decide what becomes popular. the american public is easly manipulated.

Old Moparz

Quote from: chrisII on February 05, 2006, 04:28:47 PM

record companys, MTV and radio decide what becomes popular. the american public is easly manipulated.

No argument from me on that.  :2thumbs:

I hope you listen to some college radio stations, they generally play stuff you will never hear otherwise. I've bought more recordings by typically unknowns this way. Sometimes a headlining band will have an unknown open for them, & in some cases I've seen them blow the headliner away.
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Brock Samson

anyone remember the band Y&T?...

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

nh_mopar_fan

I remember Y&T.

Lipstick and Leather....

TruckDriver

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on February 06, 2006, 07:59:32 AM
I remember Y&T.

Lipstick and Leather....
:iagree:

That was there best song, although "Summertime Girls" was good too.
PETE

JimShine

Quote from: Stratocharger on February 01, 2006, 11:09:21 AM
Didn't Valerie B. just die?...  ???

Valerie is still alive. I hang out with the guy who was the artist relations director over at Kramer since the start of the company (it was family owned). Frank tells me how whenever Eddie was in town it was his job to pick him up and bring him guitars to look at or as gifts. Anyway, after years of this Eddie would come over Frank's house for dinner. It was a change he enjoyed from eating hotel room food. They would get drunk, maybe hit some other goodies. When Valerie left TV, she would tag along on the road. The first time she ever went to Frank's house she was all over Eddie's case. Riding the guy every second "you are smoking too much, drinking too much, stop snorting that stuff, why do you have to eat with your mouth open". Finally Frank's wife got tired of it and Eddie was looking embarassed, so she says to Valerie "Stop riding the guy. He wants to unwind." Valerie glares at her and Frank's wife says 'Don't look at me like that cXXX". Ofcourse most women hate that word (in New Jersey I guess those rules can be bent), Valerie stormed off and left, Eddie stuck around and finished the party. I have a feeling that they had several nights like that over the 20+ years they were married.

BrianShaughnessy

Hey kids...  ya know that lame band INXS that got a new lame singer on that lame show Rock Star?

Guess who's probably gonna be next?   ::)    http://tmz.aol.com/article2?id=20060211114309990001
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

moparsons

TruckDriver

PETE

bull

Looks like he was trying to push something out into his Depends when they took that picture. Keith Richards has some competition for the 50-year-old groupies now I guess.

Johnny SixPack

Quote from: DodgeChargerGuy on March 06, 2006, 12:10:31 PM
I guess Eddie made a appearance again last night.  :-X

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=1756&e=1&u=/060306/482/camw12703061102

Holy $#*te!

He's lookin' more like an evil Muppet than a former rock god.

Quote from: bull on March 06, 2006, 02:02:09 PM
Looks like he was trying to push something out into his Depends when they took that picture.

Maybe the Prep. H was wearing off? :shruggy:
Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

greenpigs

When I first looked at the picture I  thought it was Sandra Bullock-James.

EDIT--my first response was too harsh  on the old guy.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free