News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Shock question

Started by Bsrob, May 12, 2012, 10:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bsrob

I have a 1972 Dodge charger S.E.  I have been doing some shock research and not finding what im looking for. I am looking for adjustable rear shocks for the rear of the car. Is it possible to find adjustable rear shocks? I do not want to use air shock. I do not need anything radical. I just need the ass of the car up about 2 to 3 inches at most. I would also like to bring the front up about an inch or two as well. If anyone can point me in the right direction or some links that would be awesome.
I had a friend say that just new shocks alone should bring the car back up a little bit. The shocks have never been replaced to the best of my knowledge.

Plumcrazy

A set of these on the back may be what you're looking for.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-58577ST/

To raise the front just adjust the torsion bars.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.

HPP

Shocks don't raise ride height, they control the oscilations of the springs. If shocks do have enough grunt to lift your car, then I'd surmise your springs are weak. Any lifting should be done via springs. In the front you can turn up the torsion bars. Raising the ride height changes the alignment, so if you crank it up over an inch you may want to have the alignment checked out before your tires start wearing funny.

Bsrob

Quote from: Plumcrazy on May 13, 2012, 08:52:57 AM
A set of these on the back may be what you're looking for.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MON-58577ST/

To raise the front just adjust the torsion bars.

Will the struts on thoses help me out to for say... a more solid of a ride feel? and in your opinion do you think it'll raise the back up a little bit?
Thank you for your input!

Cooter

Quote from: HPP on May 13, 2012, 10:14:16 AM
Shocks don't raise ride height

Exactly....No quick fix here unless air shocks are used. Coil overs are a "Band-aid" for sagging springs.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Mike DC

If you wanna bring the rearend up then you should get higher arched rear leaf springs.  The factory springs were stiff enough already, don't confuse a stiffer spring for a higher arched one.  (And if your existing springs are deeply sagged from age, you might not need to buy higher-than-stock arched springs just to get it where you want it.) 

If you try to raise the rearend of the car with the shocks, the factory shock absorber crossmember will buckle & eventually crack.  It is not designed to hold the vehicle weight like the spring mounts are.