News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Questions on wipers and cruise control

Started by Dino, April 23, 2012, 12:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

This is just out of curiosity.

My 69 has a 2 speed wiper motor which works just fine but at one point I may consider upgrading to a 3 speed.  i know I need the motor, switch and linkage but my question is this:  does this upgrade just give you one extra speed or is there a way to make it variable?  If you can do the latter, is there something I can do myself with other car parts to make it variable without losing the original look of the switch?  Also does the lettering on the bezel say something else when you have a 3 speed wiper motor and switch?  Mine has off on the bottom, high on top and a dot in the middle.

About cruise control:  I don't have it, car never came with it but it's something I may want to add.  What all do I need?  The unit itself and the turn signal/cruise lever is obvious but what else?  Does it have to come off a charger or are other mopar parts the same?  Again I'd like a stock look but I honestly don't care what it looks like under the dash or hood.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chryco Psycho

Check with Kim @ Passion 4 Mopar , if there is a way to make it variable she will know how .
The cruise can be adapted from anything , I took a unit from a New Yorker & fitted it to my 75 Power Wagon , you need the under hood unit & may have to modify the bracket to mount it cleanly underhood  , the electrical is simple to wire in , it just needs a power wire , the rest is just connections between the switch & the unit & you need the vacuum source fom the brake booster or intake .

b5blue

My car (70 Charger) had it long ago, all that's left is the blinker arm controller switch. Want a pic?

Dino

Thanks for that Chryco, I hoped it wouldn't be too bad to do.   :2thumbs:

B5 I'd love a picture!

b5blue

This is it:

Dino

Forgot to thank you for those pics so thanks blue!   :2thumbs:

b5blue

doctor4766

I bought one of these locally Dino.
http://classicgarage.com/inwisw.html
One of the most useful mods I've done to the Charger.
Not cheap, but it works well.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

Quote from: doctor4766 on May 01, 2012, 07:30:32 AM

Nice!!

I want I want!

Did you hide the switch?  Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to keep the oroginal switch and add this one onto it.

Rolling_Thunder

The hardest part of doing Cruise Control will be finding the correct turn signal stalk...     it was 68-69 only...     

You will need the following:

- Cruise Control unit
- Throttle control cable
- cruise control brake switch
- speedo cable from unit to trans
- speedo cable from unit to dash
- Wiring
- Cruise Control turn signal stalk
- Vac source (factory used power brake booster)

:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Dans 68

I do have lots of underhood pics of the factory installed cruise control. Let me know if you would like to see them posted.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

doctor4766

Quote from: Dino on May 01, 2012, 11:28:42 AM
Quote from: doctor4766 on May 01, 2012, 07:30:32 AM

Nice!!

I want I want!

Did you hide the switch?  Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to keep the oroginal switch and add this one onto it.
I mounted it below the dash in a small bracket where it's easy to reach to adjust.
Gotta love a '69

Rolling_Thunder

Quote from: Dans 68 on May 01, 2012, 03:44:56 PM
I do have lots of underhood pics of the factory installed cruise control. Let me know if you would like to see them posted.

Dan

I'd love to see them - I am putting factory cruise on my 68 Satellite - any photos would be nice.

Dans 68

Here are four of six.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Dans 68

And the last two.

Dan

Fred

cruise control on a muscle car??   :scratchchin:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

A383Wing

I put aftermarket cruise on the Daytona...works great...holds steady speed within 1 MPH

Bryan

AirborneSilva

Quote from: A383Wing on May 01, 2012, 11:34:13 PM
I put aftermarket cruise on the Daytona...works great...holds steady speed within 1 MPH

Bryan

What kind?  I think I'd like to put it on my 73....

Dino

Yeah Bryan share share!

Thanks for the pics Dan and thanks for that checklist Rolling Thunder.
So the stalk is not the same as b5blue's?  Why the heck did Chrysler have to change every little detail every year!!

I think there's a cruise unit like Dan's on CL right now but I have a funny feeling that finding the rest will be a challenge.

Chryco Psycho

if you are not concerned about originality the turn signal lever from the 70s Chryslers is quite common to find

Dino

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 02, 2012, 07:38:21 AM
if you are not concerned about originality the turn signal lever fromt he 70s is quite common to find

In a way I'm not but if possible I do like to have the obvious things be original.  That said I'm sure a '70 lever wouldn't look out of place that much either and I can always continue to look for a 69 model and swap them later.

Rolling_Thunder

my mistake - 1968-1970 is the same stalk ---   the 1970 system is different though and uses a brake switch and only one vac nipple on the cruise unit - the 1968-1970 used two nipples (see Dan's pictures) and a very specific and HARD TO FIND diactivation switch....      you wont find one...      Go with the 1970+ brake switch set up.   :2thumbs:

Dino

How about a cruise control unit from a 78 New Yorker?  It looks the same and seller is asking $50.

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: Fred on May 01, 2012, 11:29:39 PM

why not ?

same as AC... why not ?

drive it for 8 hours and will thank the Cruise Control and AC features
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

AirborneSilva

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on May 02, 2012, 12:53:12 PM
Quote from: Fred on May 01, 2012, 11:29:39 PM

why not ?

same as AC... why not ?

drive it for 8 hours and will thank the Cruise Control and AC features

I agree there Nacho, I'm too darn old not to have AC and if possible cruise  :2thumbs: