News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 idle...

Started by Jderek, April 19, 2012, 01:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jderek

Why is it my Charger idles at 900rpm at cold start but on the street at stop once warmed the idle won't fall below 1300rpm?  I have a Holley 830cfm. 
'68 Charger, 511" stroker(609hp,688tq), 4speed, 4.56's, 33x21.5 Mickey Thompson ET's.

BOSSHEMI

does the carb have electric choke?
just your avg "car guy"

RallyeMike

Not sure how your carb is configured (does it have a choke?), but in general first check the balance betweeen the throttle idle screw and the fast idle cam screw:

Screw in the fast idle cam screw a couple of turns. This should increase your cold idle speed.
Back the throttle idle screw out several turns.
Start the car and let it idle on the fast idle cam screw.
When it warms up kick it off the fast idle cam and make sure that the throttle is resting on the throttle idle screw
(at this point it might die if the throttle idle is very low).
Restart and set the throttle idle to whatever rpm you please.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Jderek

Quote from: BOSSHEMI on April 19, 2012, 01:55:34 PM
does the carb have electric choke?

It doesn't have a choke.
'68 Charger, 511" stroker(609hp,688tq), 4speed, 4.56's, 33x21.5 Mickey Thompson ET's.

Jderek

Quote from: RallyeMike on April 19, 2012, 01:57:09 PM
Not sure how your carb is configured (does it have a choke?), but in general first check the balance betweeen the throttle idle screw and the fast idle cam screw:

Screw in the fast idle cam screw a couple of turns. This should increase your cold idle speed.
Back the throttle idle screw out several turns.
Start the car and let it idle on the fast idle cam screw.
When it warms up kick it off the fast idle cam and make sure that the throttle is resting on the throttle idle screw
(at this point it might die if the throttle idle is very low).
Restart and set the throttle idle to whatever rpm you please.

Thanks much for the help...will try this...am looking over the Holley 830 manual to see which screw is which ( newbie) lol.