News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

14-year-old girl restores an 86 Fiero

Started by bull, April 18, 2012, 06:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

http://now.msn.com/money/0417-girl-restores-fiero.aspx :2thumbs: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/085309.html

From the Fiero Forum:
Now I should tell you that she is 12 going on 22, but she presented these arguements to us.

1. She would like to buy a fiero because she saw one at a show and thinks they are cool (we are corvette people, so she has been around a few shows). Fair enough I like GM products and remember the Fiero fondly from my youth.
2. She makes the arguement that it gets reasonably good gas milage
3. It is relatively inexpensive, so she would be able to afford it.
4. She could completely restore it in the 4 years until she turns 16
5. She would learn about how cars work, it would be a cheap education for the money
6. She would only have the capacity to take one friend along with her, so there would be less distraction
7. She wants a manual so she would learn how to drive stick
8. When it is done it would be a cool historic sports car
9. She would pay for it all herself.

bakerhillpins

That is excellent.  :2thumbs:

I am doing my best to get my daughter involved enough to give her general knowledge but even that is a struggle sometimes.  :shruggy:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

68 Bullitt Charger

That's great, she seem's talented and I like the fact she chose an AMERICAN made car to restore!!!! :2thumbs:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

Finn

How cool! Good for her. Wish I had started that early, might be closer to done by now...
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

resq302

Hell of a good idea for her!  Actually might want to start prepping my 5 yr old to start thinking the same thing!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Ghoste

Huge thumbs up for her.  What led you to the Fiero forum Bull, do you have one of those as well?

Cooter

I can see only one problem as the Fiero's were big POS....Catch on fire turds, but if that's what floats this little girls boat, I say more power to her.

Remember the "Magnum PI" (Ferrari body kits) versions being sold at dealers? We have a V6 one comes in the shop every now and then. Wow, what a turd.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

nvrbdn

its great that a young girl is motivated enough to find a car of her liking and tear that thing down replacing all the parts instead of hanging at the mall buying crap, sitting on facebook or nonstop texting all night long. amazing :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

kab69440

Please try to turn her attentions elsewhere before she throws her life away on a dream that most likely will never happen. I remember being 15 and thinking if I could put $2,000 per year into a certain 1969 Charger, I would have a really nice car to cruise in my mid 20's. I also used to believe that I was a reasonably intelligent human being.  Every time I open the garage door, I am reminded of just how stupid I can be, twenty-five years later. Please, darlin'... don't do it.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

bull

Quote from: kab69440 on April 19, 2012, 01:33:45 PM
Please try to turn her attentions elsewhere before she throws her life away on a dream that most likely will never happen. I remember being 15 and thinking if I could put $2,000 per year into a certain 1969 Charger, I would have a really nice car to cruise in my mid 20's. I also used to believe that I was a reasonably intelligent human being.  Every time I open the garage door, I am reminded of just how stupid I can be, twenty-five years later. Please, darlin'... don't do it.

Well, thanks for the encouraging words. :2thumbs:

kab69440

It may not be encouraging or all warm and fuzzy, but it's the truth. Sorry to be a downer.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

Back N Black

Quote from: Cooter on April 19, 2012, 11:14:03 AM
I can see only one problem as the Fiero's were big POS....Catch on fire turds, but if that's what floats this little girls boat, I say more power to her.

Remember the "Magnum PI" (Ferrari body kits) versions being sold at dealers? We have a V6 one comes in the shop every now and then. Wow, what a turd.

your just a ray of sunshine.  :pity:

mauve66

she could put a caddy motor in it and haul ###
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

TheGhost

Quote from: mauve66 on April 19, 2012, 06:57:58 PM
she could put a caddy motor in it and haul ###

Northstar?  Seen a couple of those.  Traction is a problem. ;D
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

bull

Quote from: kab69440 on April 19, 2012, 05:23:45 PM
It may not be encouraging or all warm and fuzzy, but it's the truth. Sorry to be a downer.

Four years is not out of line for a mild restoration on a Fiero. Especially with her parents helping her out. If you didn't look through that 2nd link I posted there are pics of her opening several Xmas gifts containing car parts from Santa. Not everyone can knock this stuff out in a year. Sometimes you've got to suppress the perfectionism and just pick away at it.

resq302

A little more than 10 years ago, when I was first starting out working on cars, I decided to get a fiberglass body kit for my 85 Jeep CJ 7.  It was a custom kit called a Hum J-7 which essentially was a Wrangler body flared out and had a one piece tilt nose that looked like a hummer.  I was the first person on the east coast who had one and did some marketing for them.  If any of you have tried this, it is a major headache as the steel body had a lot of grounds attached to it.  With a fiberglass body, you needed to run a full length ground line all the way to the end of the car.  I tried many new things like installing a new Painless wiring harness, fuel injection conversion kit, etc.  With the one piece tilt nose, the radiator shroud was now gone and had to have a free standing frame made for the rad support.  All I know is that I got a ton of experience from it and learned a lot of how mechanics work then.   I think that is why I am as confident as I am today when I work on any other project that I do.  I applaud her for her efforts and hope she makes out well with it as the finished product is certainly something to be proud of!
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Cooter

Quote from: Back N Black on April 19, 2012, 06:11:23 PM

your just a ray of sunshine.  :pity:

I mince no words. I will certainly try to not get banned from here as well as CC.com. Troy has been good to me.
Some want to believe the world is  agood place. I know better.  I know these cars and they are a POS. Do a search and you'll see, i'm not the only one who agrees on this point. Thank you for your kind words. Peace, love, hair grease...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

TheGhost

The same could be said for e bodies, cooter.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

71ChallengeHer

Good for her.  :2thumbs:  It will be a great learning experience.

bill440rt

I admire her determination.
Good for her!!  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2012, 06:46:05 AM

your just a ray of sunshine.  :pity:

I mince no words. I will certainly try to not get banned from here as well as CC.com. Troy has been good to me.
Some want to believe the world is  agood place. I know better.  I know these cars and they are a POS. Do a search and you'll see, i'm not the only one who agrees on this point. Thank you for your kind words. Peace, love, hair grease...

Please, don't flatter yourself. You're not nearly the badass you think you are. :lol:

jaak

This was done in less than 7 years....I have a lower middle class income, married, have 3 kids and a mortgage. This car was built using money I made on the side working on cars, money made flipping 3-4 cars, buying/selling parts on eBay, etc. All the work was done myself, because I could not afford to pay a professional. Just because in 25 years you didn't have the initiative or drive to finish a project, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't either.  :Twocents:

Jason

bull

Musicman

Vainglory, Esq.

Quote from: bull on April 21, 2012, 10:18:43 AM
Quote from: Cooter on April 20, 2012, 06:46:05 AM

your just a ray of sunshine.  :pity:

Some want to believe the world is  agood place. I know better.  I know these cars and they are a POS. Do a search and you'll see, i'm not the only one who agrees on this point. Thank you for your kind words. Peace, love, hair grease...

Please, don't flatter yourself. You're not nearly the badass you think you are. :lol:

Heh.

ACUDANUT

bull

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 22, 2012, 06:01:43 PM
That car does not look like a Fiero

Check the 2nd link I put in my initial post. Lots o' pics. :2thumbs:

myk

I don't understand.  Why would her dream "not likely happen?"  Furthermore, why was $2000 a year into your '69 not enough?  What happened?  Also, we're talking about restoring cars; last I heard that IS possible to do.  

Kudos to this young girl, who hasn't been snared into the typical teenage girl trap of boys, bands, drugs and premarital sex rituals that plague most of America's young girls these days.  It's always possible that she'll lose it later but for now at least she's doing something constructive...