News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

overcharging

Started by oldsnofear, April 11, 2012, 07:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsnofear

My 69 charger is overcharging new powermaster alternator New regUlator.voltage at battery is 15.2 volts at 2000 rpm and its only13.7 at the ignition side of reg  /  y possible bad ignition which? Any idea's Thanks

Chryco Psycho

it comes down to two things either the reg is not controlling voltage to the feild or the alt is shorted internally .
I had a Powermaster alt last 3 days once , I would suspect anything powermaster makes first

charger490

check the back of the regulator to see if it is getting hot .

myk

You can have both tested at some places, so I would do so.  Or, maybe you can swap out a regulator with another one to see if the problem remains...

68neverlate

Yup, either a bad regulator or a short in the alternator...  :yesnod:

Charger RT

if the feed going into the regulator is 13.7 the regulator is fine. that is the set voltage and it will keep powering up the alternator until it sees set voltage at the regulator in wire. The regulator is not seeing the alternator out voltage because of a voltage drop somewhere. The problem is in the feed to the regulator ignition switch yes possible but many other places can also be the drop.

With the powermaster alternator has a cable been added from alternator to battery?
Tim