News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Block A833 Throwout Bearing Doesn't Fit - Help Please

Started by bobs66440, April 17, 2012, 06:38:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobs66440

My Charger (440) was converted to a 4-speed before I got it. I am installing a new clutch and I ordered a new throwout bearing but it's too big. I ordered one for a 440 and the ID is 1.422" (which is correct for a 440) but the ID of the old one is 1.25. The old one fits good on the sleeve on the front of the trans (where the throwout bearing rides), but the OD is really too small and doesn't quite catch the fingers on the pressure plate properly. The OD on the new bearing is much bigger and catches the fingers fine.

I am assuming that the PO used a bearing for a small block (?) and jerry-rigged it to work. Do the bearing retainers on the front of the trans (the sleeve that the throwout bearing rides on) have different diameters for big and small block? I can't find any info on it at all.

I keep ordering the wrong thing and would like to find out what I need.

Thanks

bobs66440

Apparently what happened here is the trans for the 440 is supposed to be 18 spline which is a bigger diameter input shaft than a 23 spline which is for a smaller engine. This trans I have is a 23 spline for a 318, 383, 400 etc. There is no correct bearing for my application because the fingers on the stock pressure plate are really too far apart for the diameter of the smaller bearing (though it has worked for me up to now, but occasionally the bearing would make a horrendous noise when I press in the clutch).

Fortunately for me, I'm installing a Centerforce clutch, which I just found out will work with the small and large bearings. I just bolted the clutch to the flywheel and torqued it down to test fit the smaller bearing. It will work fine.

c00nhunterjoe

Interesting read. I've got a 23 spline in mine with a  centerforce dual friction. I think my kit cam with the bearing. Works great for me.