News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Burnt out on my charger project.

Started by 440, March 26, 2012, 08:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Quote from: 440 on March 27, 2012, 02:06:38 AM
We're heading over to Victoria this weekend   :D

Well you're very welcome to come and look and admire................but don't touch! :lol:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

DREDILSKI

I think what your feeling is contagious. It's starting to warm up outside and I would love to be  :drive: or just  :vert: (cruising). For the sake of wanting to get the body work done right, I stripped the car down completely. Thinking this was necessary for media blasting the entire car which I was told later the entire car may not need to be blasted. Some how my project transformed into a full resto overnight. Anyway, oh well, knowing that the  car is rust free and solid will make me a lot happier when I'm peeling tires. I'm looking for a shop to do the work right now but the idea that I probably won't have the funds to get the car back on the road for another year or two, probably longer, just sucks  :eek2:.  I find myself surfing ebay a lot window shopping and find 73's that look ok/good and cost what my bodywork and paint will cost me. It's temping and I have been trying to fool myself into using some of my project dough on something driving now but I'm being patience and hopefully something will be  available when I can.

I've been using the vision in my head of what I want the car to look like to help my keep moving forward. Sound like yours is not as extensive as mine currently is but you'll be back on the road well before me, I'm sure.

:cheers:
DRE - 73' Charger 360 SE

charger Downunder

I learn't a long time ago you have to learn how to do the work yourself and only buy a car if it needs the work that you feel comfortable doing. Buying parts is another story for international buyers.
This is a must for you to ask before paying.
Do you post to a Po Box and tracking is a must.
Do you have the parts in stock or have to order them in from a third party.
Do you check the condition of parts before posting i don't want you to send me another persons return faulty part thinking you can pass it off to an overseas buyer.
If you stuff up the order at your end and send the wrong parts or faulty parts will you post out the correct parts at no cost to me and not require the wrong parts back unless you are going to pay for the return postage from overseas.
I hate being stuffed around there is nothing worse. mega parts are good to deal with had no problems with them.
[/quote]

69finder

There's no major Mopar importer in Aus?  There must be someone who has all that stuff sorted out consider the massive mopar following down under.  If not, I sense an opportunity :)

If you're bored/burned out, I say take a break.   This is supposed to be fun!  Watch some Charger movies, take a ride in a buddies Charger.  Do the stuff that gets you pumped about Chargers then get back to the car.

I personally just like taking cars that don't run and making them drive.  And welding.  What's your interest in the car??  Find what drove you to the car in the first place and go from there. 

(Ordering parts and waiting for them, NOT fun). 

Darkman

Quote from: 69finder on April 06, 2012, 01:57:01 AM
There's no major Mopar importer in Aus?  There must be someone who has all that stuff sorted out consider the massive mopar following down under.  If not, I sense an opportunity :)

There are a couple but they "Charge" the earth.

If you're willing to set something up, then I'll be more than happy to buy from you!
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

69finder

Quote from: Darkman on April 10, 2012, 06:40:53 PM
Quote from: 69finder on April 06, 2012, 01:57:01 AM

There are a couple but they "Charge" the earth.

If you're willing to set something up, then I'll be more than happy to buy from you!

I have a container headed to Melbourne anytime this (year!) :)  If you need parts shipped, they can be included.  What do you need for your car?  PM me and we can try to work something out. 

Also, shipping from North America isn't that expensive, the containers are actually pretty cheap.  I think things (car wise) are super marked up in Australia (correct me if I'm wrong!).

dodgey68

hey sorry to hear you problem ,
i did rear boot floor d/s floor and some of the rust and paneljobs,,i had my best mate do my panel work,  did it quickly to a point it sat not touched for 7 months,  which i wasnt happy about, but while that was happening i did dash,brakes front end and the other stuff, and when he got back into it, (brilliant panel job) then  i got the car back it didnt take long to put together,
try, moparmarket.com      its an australian mopar site??in case ya didnt know

there is a mopar parts dealer in melbourne, elko performance, he is exspencive, but if he has the parts you need its easier to get them posted in aus, also a bloke in sydney mick  i used  him a few times specially on the heater box seals and weid shit like that,  no issues at all,good bloke, and im in country victoria, if ya need any info or help just ask, also there are a few other members on here doing 68 chargers in aus, :cheers: i have a some spares/doubled upon heater box  seals things, your welcome to them i have no need for them now, (not till i get another b-body) :D
dodgey
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Fred

Quote from: dodgey68 on April 11, 2012, 05:36:57 AM
hey sorry to hear you problem ,
i did rear boot floor d/s floor and some of the rust and paneljobs,,i had my best mate do my panel work,  did it quickly to a point it sat not touched for 7 months,  which i wasnt happy about, but while that was happening i did dash,brakes front end and the other stuff, and when he got back into it, (brilliant panel job) then  i got the car back it didnt take long to put together,
try, moparmarket.com      its an australian mopar site??in case ya didnt know

there is a mopar parts dealer in melbourne, elko performance, he is exspencive, but if he has the parts you need its easier to get them posted in aus, also a bloke in sydney mick  i used  him a few times specially on the heater box seals and weid shit like that,  no issues at all,good bloke, and im in country victoria, if ya need any info or help just ask, also there are a few other members on here doing 68 chargers in aus, :cheers: i have a some spares/doubled upon heater box  seals things, your welcome to them i have no need for them now, (not till i get another b-body) :D
dodgey

I've used Mick many times myself. He's great and you don't have to wait long for the parts. I recommend him no worries.
If you haven't already got it, he's phone # is...........0402118469

I think I've seen a ghost... My order showed up today from R/T Specialties. This was placed before Christmas and I had given up and ordered elsewhere. Unfortunately now I have two of most things I didn't need anymore which isn't the end of the world. I have mixed feelings about this whole deal but thanks for sending my stuff.

Elko seems to have most things except fasteners. I've bought a few things from them but you have to stay on top of them. They say they'll call you back but never do.

I think I have most parts I need now except for a few screws, bolts etc to tie everything together. I do need the front bumper bracket cross brace if anyone has a spare laying around.

I also need the heater box springs (at least the one that looks like a distributors mechanical advance spring) as the plater lost mine while having my hardware replated.

Other than finishing the heater box and waiting on the body guy the car is pretty much ready to go back together

Fred

Quote from: 440 on April 19, 2012, 08:46:19 PM
Elko seems to have most things except fasteners. I've bought a few things from them but you have to stay on top of them. They say they'll call you back but never do.

Been there, done that!  :eek2:

Good to hear that it's all coming together for you.  :2thumbs:

dodgey68

hey darkman or 440 i have some spare new parts like a white headlining, headlight vacuum hose kit, and a few others if ya need them :shruggy: and a few others, can send or meet at the midstate mopars if ya want?? make  an offer
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Thanks dodgey, is it the full kit? My vacuum harness is in fair shape but the firewall grommet is pretty trashed. Cash is really tight at the moment as I've been off work for the last three weeks, but send me a pm with what you want for it and I'll see if I can dig up the cash. Thanks.

472 R/T SE

Wow, off work for 3 weeks & you're having a car restored?   :o

Member (gtx6970) Bill Allphin owns A & M Hightech Automotive.  He's fabulous to work with.  If he doesn't have what you need, he knows someone who may.  I know he buys a lot from R/T Specialties as well.

I think if I were overseas & had so many problems getting big stuff, it'd be wise to coordinate with several like minded mates & stuff a container.   :shruggy:

I can attest to Bill being excellent. I ordered everything to rebuild my steering column from him, his knowledge and parts quality is second to none.

Yeah, being off work for 3 weeks makes things hard as the charger is constantly demanding money. In the long run though over the past year it's not really that long.

Luckily I don't need any big items, tracking down the tiny items to finish everything off like bolts, screws etc is turning out to be the real pain though.

I'm starting to get excited about working on the car again. I've gone through and organized parts/hardware and made a list of what I still need, which isn't very much.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 21, 2012, 11:59:36 PM
I think if I were overseas & had so many problems getting big stuff, it'd be wise to coordinate with several like minded mates & stuff a container.   :shruggy:

Thats absoluteley true, otherwise it is totally not affordable to restore a car over here...... most important thing about stuffing that container is to let the invoices dissapear so the guys at customs have no clue how much money they have in front of them when they open it up and have to estimate the import tax fees.... :D

About the burnout thing, I bought my Charger in '06. Sadly I had no shop to put it in and get working on it until last fall. However I guess it will take a while to get this car restored simply because it demands some serious coin if you want it done perfect (damn Hemi dream).....
I bought a second project (off roader) that I can wrench on and enjoy driving meanwhile...
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Fred

Quote from: six-tee-nine on April 22, 2012, 12:59:08 AM
Quote from: 472 R/T SE on April 21, 2012, 11:59:36 PM

Thats absoluteley true, otherwise it is totally not affordable to restore a car over here...... most important thing about stuffing that container is to let the invoices dissapear so the guys at customs have no clue how much money they have in front of them when they open it up and have to estimate the import tax fees.... :D

About the burnout thing, I bought my Charger in '06. Sadly I had no shop to put it in and get working on it until last fall. However I guess it will take a while to get this car restored simply because it demands some serious coin if you want it done perfect (damn Hemi dream).....
I bought a second project (off roader) that I can wrench on and enjoy driving meanwhile...

And it has to be done perfect...........don't compromise or you'll never be truely happy.  :2thumbs:

472 R/T SE

Quote from: 440 on April 22, 2012, 12:35:27 AM

Luckily I don't need any big items, tracking down the tiny items to finish everything off like bolts, screws etc is turning out to be the real pain though.

I can't physically go to the junkyards anymore so that's a real bummer.  So as I browse ebay auctions I'll look for people who have parted out '68-'71 stuff & ask them if they'd send me all the bolts that they didn't know went to.

I have this bolt book that makes distinguishing them all that much easier.
http://www.mmcdetroit.com/Market_Place/

Bob T

Hey 440, I've got a new 2 year old unused Dave Patik 68 R/T stripe in White if you're interested, still in the box, I accidentally ordered 2 when I placed the order for my old Charger.
This car is a stripe delete so its not going to be needed, I can dig out the reciept and knock some off if you want it
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

Hey Bob, thanks for the offer but I'm not going with a tail stripe.

Well things have really turned around and something lit a fire under my butt. I got some good news finally from the body shop that my car will be worked on soon. Things have slowed down slightly and the car that was preventing him from tackling mine is being pulled out till later in the year.

I finally picked up and finished restoring the heater box tubes which was preventing me from finishing the heater box. Now I can finish putting it together. I also tore into my steering column and getting it ready for paint, so with a bit of luck the dash frame and column should be painted in a few weeks. Same with the tail light housing, which I'll finally be able to put the tail light assemblies back together.

I cut off a home made bracket that was welded to the battery tray and you'd never know it was there. I also finally reinstalled the alternator which was sitting in my garage for a year.

I pulled out the bulkhead connector, wire harness  and removed everything from the firewall to prep it for rust prevention and paint.

Once all that's done it's just a matter of assembling the car, then vrooooom.   :drive:

Due to the effort I've gone through so far I really wanted to replace the wiper motor with a restored unit from Kim while the dash was out, but I'm finding it hard to justify $350 to replace mine.

charger Downunder

Putting it all back together is the fun part and turning the key well you will find out what that's like. :2thumbs:
[/quote]