News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Does anyone have pics of the 68 Charger interior door panels?

Started by sixpack_sid, April 11, 2012, 07:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I am working on installing the door panels on my 68 Charger. I finally got them after 2 weeks from a guy on eBay. That's another story.  ::)
Do the lower panels go on first? How about the trim?
Anyone have pics of the door panels before you put the back seats in?
Help would be appreciated! :2thumbs:
Thanks,
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bill440rt

Sid, check out pages 5-6 of this thread. Shows pictures of putting the interior door panels in place.
They are basically independant of one another, but you need to have the chrome divider molding in place first. The lower door panel fits into the groove in that molding.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,64641.100.html

'68 door panels are essentially the same, however they have square chrome "buttons" on the upper ends of the map pocket.

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixpack_sid

That car looks SWEET! :drool5:

Do you remember how many door clips you used for the whole thing? I read a thread that someone thought the upper door panel clips were a different size - did you find that also?
Thanks!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

bill440rt

I honestly don't remember how many clips were used for the lower door panel. I've taken many original doors apart, some lower panels have had the "V" shaped spring clips on them & others have had the "bullet" shaped clips. I believe the bullet type were the most common, and most correct.
The upper pads had the spring "V" type clips. They had a wider base area that slips over the cutouts in the pad backing, but that was about it.

They do sell interior panel clip kits as well.  :2thumbs: 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixpack_sid

So I had some time this weekend and was anxious to install my new door panels. What a disappointment!! Upon inspection of the panels, I found small tears in the upholstery and at the holes, there was only one staple holding the material on the back where it was folded over. Obviously, these panels are not going to last long at all.
I had trouble installing the panels as the clip holes didn't match up exactly. I was able to get them in on the passenger side. The driver's side was more difficult. Finally, after 2 hrs of working on it, I got the panels installed. They don't look perfect, but I hey, it's just a daily driver so I can live with it. What I can't live with is when I tried to close the door, the panel is in the way and the door will not close. I can see that the panel overlaps the ridge on the inside of the door about 1/4 in on each side. And it extends past the trim on both sides. If I take the kick panel off, I can get the door to close. I am very disappointed! I plan to contact the guy who made them for me and complain. I doubt I'll get anywhere with him though, as it took him 2 weeks to ship my panels and he never gave me a tracking #. After I complained the last time, he didn't  even respond to my email. What sucks is the guy has 100% feedback on his products, shipping & communication. I don't see how-unless they left feedback before they installed the products! I will never buy from this guy again!
So, now that I'm done ranting, I wonder if anyone can post pics of their installed door panels, specifically at the kick panel and the door opening, so I can compare with my disaster.

Thanks,
Sid

charger490