News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry car posted on Facebook

Started by hatersaurusrex, April 13, 2012, 09:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I want to too, I just want to be sure.  Personally I dont think a studio would fix a thing before selling it.

Indygenerallee

I don't see why they would not have done a quick patch job that would have taken the sets mechanics less than a day to fix to bring more money at auction!? Heck they would have most likely used the fender off one of the other cars, bend the hood up, bend the bumper down and shoot the fender quick?? I bet it only had a 4 or 5 bolts holding the fender on!  :lol:
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

MoparManJim

Quote from: Ghoste on April 15, 2012, 08:48:20 PM
I want to too, I just want to be sure.  Personally I dont think a studio would fix a thing before selling it.

Maybe because they repaired it to use for in a scene that maybe didn't make it to being in the movie, or just plain repaired it to use in another scene (which I think is what they did) and then sold/auction it off. 

cdr

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 15, 2012, 08:43:47 PM
Cause they have it and you don't  :lol: :lol:
NO i dont want that car or anybody else s car ,i am very greatful for the 68 charger that i have ,just an observation when i was lookin for a charger  :lol: :lol:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

I know that's what I was saying!!  :lol: Because it's a power trip for a lot of people having something that others want!!!

Magnumcharger

I truely believe that is the actual car used in the movie.

If you look at the stripes on the side of the car, you'll see the wrecked fender has pushed the door slightly out of alignment.
The stripes no longer run together as they should, and can be seen to diverge slightly from each other. I drew red lines to point out the incongruency.

As well, the hood was only bent down on the left front.
From underneath, the hood up against the wall looks damaged in that area.

From the same frontal view, you can see that the bumper is only tweaked up, and could be pulled down fairly easily.

Note too that the door buttons are black...carryover 1968 items.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

cdr

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 15, 2012, 09:25:37 PM
I know that's what I was saying!!  :lol: Because it's a power trip for a lot of people having something that others want!!!
that does seem to be how it is--------mines bigger----no mine is bigger----mine is more rare than yours----no its not,mine was used in dmcl,doh,bullit,the JEFFERSON'S,AND THE WIZZARD OF OZZ  :smilielol: :lol: :lol: :rofl:  but it is junk now because i let it sit outside & sink to china :lol: :lol:--------    :2guns: :dance:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Indygenerallee

:lol: Yeah it's a shame for sure, I can't tell you how many Chargers I found way out in BFE behind some house and they are not for sale.
I know where a 68 Charger R/T, 72' Cuda, and a 71 GTX are sitting ALL IN THE SAME YARD and they are all not for sale!! Always amazes me.  :shruggy:

TUFCAT

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 15, 2012, 08:55:23 PM

Heck they would have most likely used the fender off one of the other cars, bend the hood up, bend the bumper down and shoot the fender quick?? I bet it only had a 4 or 5 bolts holding the fender on!  :lol:

After that hit.....the bumper needed more than a quickie bending in my opinion.

Personally I don't think a bumper could be bent back that easily and that straight by some film crew mechanics.  I'm sure it could be done with some heat and someone knowing what they were doing.

If it was the same bumper.... I betcha there's lots of work involved to make it look decent, like it is.  :Twocents:  It should also have plenty of gouges/scratches from impact.

Indygenerallee

:lol: I pulled a bumper back down on a old 1978 Power Ram once (old beater truck) we had chain buckets in the floor and I used cinder blocks under the frame to keep the suspension from absorbing the pull and used a come-a-long and pulled it right back down, it had a upwards dimple in it (almost exactly like the one in that bumper) looked 10 times better than what it had, It's not rocket science and I am sure they could have cared less if the bumper had dents or gouges.

Cooter

Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 15, 2012, 09:49:21 PM
:lol: Yeah it's a shame for sure, I can't tell you how many Chargers I found way out in BFE behind some house and they are not for sale.
I know where a 68 Charger R/T, 72' Cuda, and a 71 GTX are sitting ALL IN THE SAME YARD and they are all not for sale!! Always amazes me.  :shruggy:

I actually attempted to try and find a plausible answer to this situation by asking one of these said owners why....

This was the reply: "Well, I've had a bunch of guys come by here over the years and ask to buy it, knowing all they want is the money when they flip it. i can tell when someone's out for greed. I bought it back when you couldn't give these things away. I know It's not in the best of shape now, but I just hate to see it sold 50 times and not one of them even clean her up".

My reply: "Thank You sir, I just wanted to know I'm not the only one that's in it for the cars"
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

HOTROD

What the Hell-Dumass !

Cooter

BTW: The Car in question was a 1967 Hemi GTX.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Ghoste

Fixing it for a scene they forgot is a possibility.  Fixing it to sell seems unlikely, remember that in the late 70's these were just used cars and were pretty much worthless.  Having a mechanic or two spend a day repairing damage to get an extra 100 dollars for what was likely a 700 dollar car in its best condition is hard to believe.  Possible?  Sure, but to a studio with millions of dollars in business transacting each day I cna't imagine them worrying about making a tiny extra off a no longer needed prop car.
I don't think this is the 68 car.  If it is a DMCL car it almost has to be one of the 69's.  Remember for one thing the 68 would be titled as a 68 and I would think this guy would mention that and also the 68 had a roll bar in it.  It could have easily been removed of course but I still dont see it in that pic.
Sure be nice if the guy would offer a little more.  Even if he is in it for the car, hell, especially if he is in it for the car, bring the evidence forward.  I get it that he may feel he has nothing to prove but if it has come to light this far then why not share the rest of the story?

doctor4766

Someone who can post on that FB page, please ask him when he's going to paint it orange and put a flag on the roof and some numbers on the doors  :smilielol:

Gotta love a '69

GOTWING

moparstuart

Quote from: MoparManJim on April 15, 2012, 08:56:58 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on April 15, 2012, 08:48:20 PM

Maybe because they repaired it to use for in a scene that maybe didn't make it to being in the movie, or just plain repaired it to use in another scene (which I think is what they did) and then sold/auction it off. 
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:  i bet they would have done a quick repair to do reshoots of earlier scenes movies are not always  filmed the the final order of events .

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: TUFCAT on April 15, 2012, 10:36:20 PM
Quote from: Indygenerallee on April 15, 2012, 08:55:23 PM

Heck they would have most likely used the fender off one of the other cars, bend the hood up, bend the bumper down and shoot the fender quick?? I bet it only had a 4 or 5 bolts holding the fender on!  :lol:

After that hit.....the bumper needed more than a quickie bending in my opinion.

Personally I don't think a bumper could be bent back that easily and that straight by some film crew mechanics.  I'm sure it could be done with some heat and someone knowing what they were doing.

If it was the same bumper.... I betcha there's lots of work involved to make it look decent, like it is.  :Twocents:  It should also have plenty of gouges/scratches from impact.
a big chain and a tree , we pulled many a bumper out back in the day   :nana: :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

UH60L

Quote from: Ghoste on April 14, 2012, 11:19:39 PM
Just a thought and I defer to anyone who knows some things about aviation, the little I do know (had a private pilots license once) a helicopter is a fairly unstable contraption, if it hit that car hard enough to leave dents in the roof would it be able to fly? 

As I recall it was a Bell Jet Ranger, and yes, it would be able to make a dent on the car and keep flying.  I don't know how they did it back then, but alot of times things are done at slower speeds than what you see in the film, thus it loooks like it should cause the helicopter to go out of control.  In reallity via camera angles and slower speeds during filming, it was no big deal.

Again, I don't know how the filmed that sequence back then.  It could very well have been done at full speed, just need a good pilot and a good stunt driver.  Not nearly enough real stunt driving/real airplans/real stunts these days, too much cgi for me.

As with a car, an aircraft with the right pilot can things the manufacturer never intended for it to do.   :Twocents:       :popcrn:

Brock Lee

Black buttons on the handles mean so very little. They were used for so long in 1969 that the majority of us have or should have them.

The mechanics worked on cars through filming. The cars would have gone back in whatever state filming wrapped at. In those days auctions were not what they are today. It was mainly a way to clear house. The money even cars brought in back then was short. usually it was car dealers looking for cars to buy cheap and flip quick. The public by large didn't really get clued into the auto auctions until years later when there was demand for used cars (most people wanted new or 2-3 year old cars prior to the 80's)

You can bet there was a ton of footage shot that never made it into the movie. Often they will shoot the same scenes multiple times often in different locations. The editing process is just as much about picking the best performances as it is assembling the footage into a movie.

I too believe this is likely the car. It just looks "right". Someone would have had to have faked that a long ago and let it "season" in the elements. People who do that stuff rarely are patient enough for that.

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

paironines

What I dig is the damage on the the left rear quarter in the film car and rotter picture are very accurate to one another. Mirror is different though but thats easy to be changed over the years.

Brock Lee

Indygenerallee

Im on the same page with Brock, heck my 69 Charger has black buttons on the handles and it was a virgin when I took it apart (Car was a white hat special early build) And as I have stated before the damage in the particular spots looks right! how many DMCL clones were made and then damaged in the same spot as the movie car to replicate it!?? Too many things add up with the damage, trim, stripe and the fact it looks like a paint job that was done 30+ years ago.