News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Newbie returning to his youth

Started by PlainfieldCharger, April 13, 2012, 04:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlainfieldCharger

Hello All,

I got the kids out of highschool and am looking at buying the another of the best car I ever owned. I am looking to buy a 68 RT with a 4speed. I have found a 68 charger that has correct vin, dana 60 rear end, correct fuel lines, extra leaf in on the leaf springs, hemi 4speed 18 spline. Problem is no fender tag. Car will be restored when purchased. They want 50,000. Without the fender tag, can it be worth that much?

twodko

Hello and welcome! Is the car a driver right now? Whats the overall condition of the car? An original 426 hemi 4spd car is worth a lot of money for the engine alone. Pictures would be great!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Chryco Psycho

When you consider paint & body work on a car you own can run 25K + yes the car could be worth that , paint supplies alone can be over 4 k alone. It depends how good the car is , the car coul dbe harder to resell without the tag though but you may not be too concerned abotu that as you do not seem to want to buy it to flip it .

PlainfieldCharger

The car is not a driver. It has been stripped blasted and painted new metal and comes with a rebuilt stock 1970s era 440. I am not going to flip this but do want it to retain the value. The car will be totaly "restored". The fender tag missing is my rub. Are allot chargers missing these? The "shell appears to have the 4 speed evidence. Dash has reverse light too.

skip68

I would be very careful buying any car now days from a shop that builds cars and sells them.   If it were me I would find and purchase the car first and then if needed find a shop to fix it up.  Welcome to the site.   :cheers:   
OH, you might want to post this in "Charger discussion"   
You will get better response there.   Good luck.    :2thumbs:
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Scaregrabber

No: $50k for a 440 car is totally, mint restored price with matching #'s driveline, carb, rad etc. and a buildsheet and original fender tag.

Sheldon

twodko

I thought the car had a 426? So IMO.......$50k no way!

Budnicks

Welcome to DC.com forum & good luck... What is the VIN #'s ??, you can also research the VIN ID #'s on the radiator support & trunk drip rail also along with the VIN #'s, see were it was built & what it may be, wheather it's been rebodied or what ever...  I personally would be pretty hessitant to pay $50K for a non documented non matching numbers car like 68 Charger, "newly restored or not", unless you really, really like it & absolutely have to have it, have seen it in person & thoroughly have checked it out, driven it, make sure everything is absolutely perfect for that money, look it over very, very well from bottom to top, back to front... "Buyer beware" there are lots of crooks out there passing stuff off as something they never were... Do your reasearch... If it was $25k-$30k it wouldn't be as big of a deal, as a $50k car...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Chryco Psycho

$50 k for a project !! plan to spend another 40K to finish it , too high for me

E5 Charger

Do a search on this site for the name of the company restoring it. Some members have had nightmares with some shops.

PlainfieldCharger

The car is coming from a business that restores Chargers and Cuda's. I have viewed the car and his work. It appears to be good work. The car has been blasted repaired and painted(not final) It is very straight. Dash and interior has been redone and looks good. I really do appreciate all of the comments. I want to really think this out. The car looks great. Is it worth 50,000 without the documentation. (fender tag) Without that, what would a member offer for something like this. Are the shops other forum members had problems with in Illinois? Looked at the Better Business Bureau. Did not see anything thing there.

twodko

We really need several pictures of this car to make any realistic comments as to what would be a fair price for it. Can you make this happen?

GreenMachine

If it has the build sheet you can have the fender tag reproduced. I think having the fender tag is more important on an R/T or a rare optioned car than a base model.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

PlainfieldCharger

Thanks again for your comments, I will take a ride with a camera and get what I can on this one. I have to agree with green machine that the fender tag is more important for this model. I do have to believe that without this. This charger will be limited in its value. A lower price than 50K is what I need to figure out.

Mike DC

It might take $50K to restore the car.  But that doesn't mean the car has to be worth $50K when it's done. 

If you're not attached to the idea of restoring this particular car I would advise you to look for a completed car.  You'll be on the road and happier sooner, for a lot less money in the long run. 

skip68

Illinois is well known for bad shops.   Hans is the name of a BAD dealer, true muscle cars, ect ect.    Lots of these shops use different names.   Trust me when I say it's not worth the risk.   Buy your own car and then take it to a well known shop.   Lots of members here will help you on the way.    
skip68, A.K.A. Chuck \ 68 Charger 440 auto\ 67 Camaro RS (no 440)       FRANKS & BEANS !!!

Mr. 4-Speed

IMO 50k for a non# car, without a fendertag....looks out of range; and as stated above..buying a car from a company who also still needs to restore it..they will find ways to build it as cheap as possible to make the biggest profit. Don't want to sound negative, but i have been in the business long enough to know.
I think..for 50k, and you wait for the right moment, you will be able to find a decent R/T with a 4-speed. Just look around patiently and one will come around sooner or later.

best regards from the Netherlands,
Marcel van Melis

AirborneSilva

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on April 14, 2012, 04:40:36 PM
The car is coming from a business that restores Chargers and Cuda's. I have viewed the car and his work. It appears to be good work. The car has been blasted repaired and painted(not final) It is very straight. Dash and interior has been redone and looks good. I really do appreciate all of the comments. I want to really think this out. The car looks great. Is it worth 50,000 without the documentation. (fender tag) Without that, what would a member offer for something like this. Are the shops other forum members had problems with in Illinois? Looked at the Better Business Bureau. Did not see anything thing there.

This place isn't HLPAG is it?

Personally I wouldn't pay 50K for a car that is not numbers matching and you don't have fender tag and or build sheet.  You are pretty much going on their word and having been burned myself I am very leery of peoples claims....

As people are saying, pictures will help here but I would also get a pro to go over the car as well.   :Twocents:

Dino

Be very careful with shops that sell you an a la carte resto.  And $50K for a non matching R/T with missing tag?  Not a chance, not even close.

My advice?  Keep shopping.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PlainfieldCharger

After doing some research on HLPAG it is this company. They are now American Classic Muscle cars. I spoke with Tom there and only found the 1 car I was interested in as the rest were not good. His fender tag statement is was caused my concern. I am so glad I found this forum. You guys have saved my wallet and my passion, as I am sure this buy would have destroyed that. I will post in the Classified section to find one and continue to surf this forum.

AirborneSilva

Quote from: PlainfieldCharger on April 16, 2012, 07:57:55 AM
After doing some research on HLPAG it is this company. They are now American Classic Muscle cars. I spoke with Tom there and only found the 1 car I was interested in as the rest were not good. His fender tag statement is was caused my concern. I am so glad I found this forum. You guys have saved my wallet and my passion, as I am sure this buy would have destroyed that. I will post in the Classified section to find one and continue to surf this forum.

RUN!!!  Those Mother F#*kers will screw you in a heart beat and laugh all the way :flame: to the bank!!!!  They screwed me over good  :icon_smile_angry:

Dino

Glad you found out who it was!

There was a gorgeous 68 R/T qq1 blue with white top and interior for sale in Detroit.  The ad is not there but I'm pretty sure it's still for sale as the seller reposts the ad from time to time.

skip68

Those guys are well known on this site.   There are lots of horror stories about them and other names they have used.   You'll find your car and we'll help you so don't worry.   :cheers:

OldGuy

RUN, RUN, AS FAST AS YOU CAN - away from that company!!  There is a reason why there is no fender tag and they are trying to sell it as a Hemi-car...NOT!!
"I can tell by your sarcastic undertones, rude comments and total lack of common decency, that you and I could be best friends".

Dino

There's no hemi.  He mentioned a hemi trans which is the incorrect but widely used term, there never was a mention of a hemi engine.

E5 Charger

HLPAG! That's what I was afraid of. Run and don't look back. I don't have any personal experience with them, but there is a lot to read about on this site.

Vainglory, Esq.

Another d-c.com success story. :cheers:

cdr

i dont drink but on this subject  :cheers: :iagree:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

PlainfieldCharger

I am really really :2thumbs: :2thumbs: need I say more. Sorry for the Hemi thing. I am surely moving past this one. I will check out any posts on here for someone selling one.