News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

100 years ago Sunday

Started by kikgas01, April 13, 2012, 08:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kikgas01

The Titanic went down. R.I.P.

BigBlackDodge

I thought it went down on the 15th?

BBD

kikgas01

I changed it. I thought today was the 15th due to a birthday party today but for the 15th lol.

68 Bullitt Charger

RIP the 1500 lost Soul's. I went and saw the 3D Movie version which was cool. Anyway's the Ship sank April 15, 1912. How many Folk's been watching the Jame's Cameron special's on Cable TV? I think he has done a great job. :2thumbs:
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

kikgas01

I have!!! There is another special this coming Sunday as well.. :2thumbs: I`m dvr`ing them as well. I like what he said he would do if he was in charge on that night. There was a ship 6 miles away. He said he would just go in reverse there thus helping with the flooding of the ship and then transfering everyone to the other ship....

Dino

Quote from: kikgas01 on April 13, 2012, 10:09:17 AM
I have!!! There is another special this coming Sunday as well.. :2thumbs: I`m dvr`ing them as well. I like what he said he would do if he was in charge on that night. There was a ship 6 miles away. He said he would just go in reverse there thus helping with the flooding of the ship and then transfering everyone to the other ship....

Hindsight is 20/20, he would probably be pissing himself like everyone else that night. 

What a tragedy, RIP good people.    :'(
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

404NOTFOUND

Quote from: 68 Bullitt Charger on April 13, 2012, 09:17:32 AMI went and saw the 3D Movie version which was cool.

I'll have to go see that. How was the painting scene with Kate Winslut? ;D
My 1969 Charger. RIP......Rest in pieces.

bull

Quote from: Dino on April 13, 2012, 12:01:04 PM
Quote from: kikgas01 on April 13, 2012, 10:09:17 AM

Hindsight is 20/20, he would probably be pissing himself like everyone else that night. 

What a tragedy, RIP good people.    :'(

:iagree: Cameron, history's arm chair quarterback. ::) It's embarrassing how smart everyone in Hollywood thinks they are.

Mike DC

I don't think he was seriously saying he would have done some much better in their place. It's natural to read about a historical tragedy and speculate about how much better it could have been handled.  People do it all the time.

Ask Cameron about what could have been done better when filming one of his own movies.  I'm sure he would give you a whole list of better ways to do it looking back.  

Brock Lee

He already admits the flaws in the sinking scenes in his movie. But he says "We are always learning new things about the sinking. I wont make changes the movie because, where will it end?" Too bad Lucas doesn't have that attitude.

Mike DC

Yeah I agree.  

But at the same time, the changes that Cameron's movie needs would probably detract from the drama at the end.  That probably makes his decision to leave it alone easier, whether he admits it or not.  

A bunch of respected engineers had published a paper in the early 1990s describing the ship breaking up the way it did in the movie.  Cameron based the movie off the most reputable sources at the time, I gotta give him credit that.  

Personally I have never really believed the high-angle breakup theories.  If it had happened like in the movie, in front of 700 witnesses . . . well, NOBODY is gonna argue that it went down intact.  But in reality there was widespread disagreement about whether or not it broke in half for 70 years, and the official report of the accident concluded that it didn't break.  So the break must not have been quite that dramatic from the viewpoint of the survivors.

nh_mopar_fan

I thought the mattress idea was interesting. The theory being they could've lowered some mattresses down the side of the ship where it had been breached and the pressure of the water would suck them into the holes and slow the water and buy them some time.

stripedelete

Quote from: nh_mopar_fan on April 15, 2012, 08:25:00 AM
I thought the mattress idea was interesting. The theory being they could've lowered some mattresses down the side of the ship where it had been breached and the pressure of the water would suck them into the holes and slow the water and buy them some time.

Hmm.  It sometimes works with lapstrake contructed boats using saw dust.  That would be alota' mattressess.

bull

Quote from: Brock Lee on April 14, 2012, 04:00:50 PM
He already admits the flaws in the sinking scenes in his movie. But he says "We are always learning new things about the sinking. I wont make changes the movie because, where will it end?" Too bad Lucas doesn't have that attitude.

Lucas surrounds himself by yes men. What he needs is a level-headed "no man" to keep some of his crazy BS from making it to final cut.