News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Charging issues

Started by bigez04, April 15, 2012, 11:30:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigez04

So I have a multimeter and light tester with me this weekend.  I got the charger started and tested the old alternator, not charging.  Was at 12.5 volts when it started and steadily dropped.  So lead me to a bad alternator.  Took it in and had it replaced, thank you lifetime warranty.  I hooked up the new alt. this morning and checked it again.  12V and dropping... :brickwall:  So, I checked for power at the bad of the alt. and I'm getting power to both feeds.  Is there anything I'm missing or did I just get a faulty alt.?
If you need further info let me know...
Thanks,
Eric

W4ATL

1. The alternators have 2 field connections. One should be grounded. Some alternators are grounded from the manufacturer and others aren't. If one field is not grounded it will not work.
2. Check voltage regulator ground and replace.
3. Check wiring for breaks, correct connection, etc.
4. Replace voltage regulator. Use an electric one if the one you have is mechanical. That's all that is in the circuit.

bigez04

my alt has 2 field connectors and a ground wire.  I will check all wires, is there a way to test the volt. regulator or just replace it?
Thanks

bigez04

Ok! I got it, found a broken wire about 2 feet from the alternator.  Repaired it and it's charging again...well, over-charging.  Will be ordering the voltage regulator Tuesday!  Thanks for the help.
Eric