News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wiring harness question?

Started by THE STIG, April 12, 2012, 10:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THE STIG

I've decided to rewire my 70 Charger I've had my eye on the Painless Mopar Harness. Has anyone used this? Will it work the headlight door motor and signal light in the hood?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRF-10127/

Back N Black

I would not use painless, because its not painless at all. I would use the aftermarket made by M&H wiring,it is exact to stock specs, just plug and play. I know yearone sell the M&H wiring.
:Twocents:

Rolling_Thunder

If you're keeping everything stock I say get a stock harness from Year One...     if you plan on customizing at all - go with a Painless harness or some other aftermarket kit... 
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

resq302

I agree with using the M&H kit.  I used a painless wire harness in my custom 85 Jeep CJ 7 that I converted into a Hum J-7 and figured while I had the body off, I might as well redo the wiring.  I will say this about painless wiring..... it is labeled the entire length of the wire as to what it is.  However, you need to know what that wire will be tapping into if you reuse any other harness!  So basically, the painless just became the painful especially if you don't have a factory service manual with a wiring schematic.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

THE STIG

There's also this one http://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=XP-68 and for the record I was planning on a CD player and possibly power windows some day.

BananaDan

M&H from Year One, one of the few times I'll give a solid recommendation for Y1.  Wait for a 30% off sale day and you'll be all set.  Don't worry about a modern stereo, all it needs is a ground and power from your harness (ground to dash frame).  The rest of the wires are speaker wires and the antenna cable. 
*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

THE STIG

Can someone post a link for the M&H harness I can't find anything on the Year One site.

BananaDan

*This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.®*

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.  ~A. Einstein

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Budnicks

Quote from: nascarxx29 on April 15, 2012, 10:03:04 PM
http://www.americanautowire.com/
Thanks for that link ,I haven't seen them before, it's always good to have some options... Just in case
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Brightyellow69rtse

i got all new m&h harnesses. their great and they have the best customer service ive ever experianced hands down!

myk

Quote from: resq302 on April 13, 2012, 03:40:24 PM
I agree with using the M&H kit.  I used a painless wire harness in my custom 85 Jeep CJ 7 that I converted into a Hum J-7 and figured while I had the body off, I might as well redo the wiring.  I will say this about painless wiring..... it is labeled the entire length of the wire as to what it is.  However, you need to know what that wire will be tapping into if you reuse any other harness!  So basically, the painless just became the painful especially if you don't have a factory service manual with a wiring schematic.

But...doesn't the Painless kit replace all of the harnesses in the car?  I'd like to know as a rewire for my '69 is going to happen this year and I'm looking for the best option for my resto-mod...

resq302

I don't know.  Its been over 10 years since I did the conversion on the Jeep.  A lot could have changed in that time.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto