News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

In-tank fuel pump retrofit?

Started by Finn, April 12, 2012, 03:14:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Finn

Has anyone retrofitted an old gas tank to have an in-tank electric fuel pump??

I have been doing some research and determined that the current location for my pump sucks (outer side of passenger sub-frame connecter).

My main concern is mounting it securely in the tank while still keeping it accessible. Right now I am thinking of modifying the sending unit to hold the pump.

So what do you guys think? Is this a reasonable project or an I better off getting a new custom tank. I'm against a trunk mounted fuel cell because I want my dead hookers, err I mean trunk space haha.

Thanks in advance!
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Budnicks

Maybe check with EFI retrofit companies, they do some of their systems like that, just get a lower pressure pump or bypass all the extra fuel back to the tank, which is the best way to run an electric pump anyway, is with a bypass style regulator with a line going back to the tank instead if dead heading the pump pressure at a std. regulator, they will run cooler, quieter & supposedly will last longer also... Maybe try these guys F&B Throttle Bodies I got a Six Pack EFI from them a couple of years ago now, on a car I've since sold, it had a custom stainless fuel tank though, they may make something or maybe will make something that will work for you {not sure they do can &/or will} , they are decent very informative guys to talk to also... www.FBThrottlebodies.com , it's worth a try...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

Rolling_Thunder

Yep - my tank looks stock but it houses a electric pump I made myself...        long story and research but it works very well and I don't have any issues thus far.   It was a lot of work and time thought.    :2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Finn

Budnicks-Thanks for the info, Ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I'm running the edelbrock EFI system so I do have a return line going back to the tank. Sorry I should have mentioned that in my post.

Alex-I went through your restoration thread for pictures and I think I found the right part but the pictures arent loading. Any chance you still have them and you could send/link them to me?

Thanks to the both of you
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Rolling_Thunder

I'll look for the pics - I lost a couple of them when I made the tank due to my camera taking a crap on me.   
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Budnicks

Quote from: Finn on April 12, 2012, 08:49:53 PM
Budnicks-Thanks for the info, Ill give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I'm running the edelbrock EFI system so I do have a return line going back to the tank. Sorry I should have mentioned that in my post.

Alex-I went through your restoration thread for pictures and I think I found the right part but the pictures arent loading. Any chance you still have them and you could send/link them to me?

Thanks to the both of you
:2thumbs:  :shruggy:  :slap: , I kind of figured as much
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks